Sign in to follow this  
violins88

VSA still on?

There might be some light at the end of the tunnel, but it's impossible to tell how long the tunnel is from here.

Hey Don, maybe we can have breakfast together again if the VSA Convention goes through, but maybe it will need to be at separate tables this time? :lol:

I've been working on a "social distancing" device which basically consists of a six-foot-radius hula-hoop, hung from shoulder straps, with either barbed wire or electric fencing placed around the outermost edge (depending on the future availability of batteries).

It will be the fiddlemakers who save the world, as usual. ;)

I am hoping it will still be a go, for so many reasons, people no longer ill and it is always great to see everyone and reconnect.  As long as the hotel knows to keep the bar properly stocked  :P

1 hour ago, David Burgess said:

I've been working on a "social distancing" device...

I always thought that being a violinmaker was the ultimate device.  It works for me.

But spitpolishing a neck might not be so good for the violinist.

But seriously, if the Feds don't get their act together for long-term testing, monitoring and containment, or if we don't get a miracle (same thing), I'm not holding out much hope to get out of this tunnel by then.  And good luck with the international traveler groups.  And I thought violinmaking was complicated.

Trouble is, they are going to have to decide a long way in advance. Many visitors from many different parts of the World with different quarentine requirements. There is also the possibility of virus "aftershocks" to consider.

5 hours ago, David Burgess said:

I've been working on a "social distancing" device which basically consists of a six-foot-radius hula-hoop, hung from shoulder straps, with either barbed wire or electric fencing placed around the outermost edge (depending on the future availability of batteries).

Just eat lots of raw garlic; no batteries required.

From what I can gather, during the 1917 Spanish Flu pandemic, my great grandfather was unaffected, and he was out helping others in the community that were stricken with the flu. He attributed  being unaffected because he would eat raw garlic everyday. I guess the rational was if you create a hostile enough environment in the respiratory tract, viral infections can't take hold.

I wonder if any research has been done to see how the volatile oils from garlic affect the covid virus?

If you eat that much garlic, your physical distancing will be ensured...:ph34r:

Here in Italy, where the virus got off to an early start, many initially said that the warnings were way overblown. Then as the death count and number of infections piled up and the virus went exponential, the disbelievers who wanted to keep everything open had to change their minds quickly. Now they are really tightening the restrictions because although the infection curve is flattening out, there are still way too many deaths. We are reaching the figure of 100 deaths of the Doctors who are treating these patients. The death rate in Italy has been as high as 475 in one day. We're a lot smaller than North America. It's not a time to think it's not going to happen to me but to everybody else. The most effective measures have been to get yourself a few masks, some disposable rubber gloves for when you have to go shopping and for the rest, STAY AT HOME. The only people circulating are those directly involved with health care and the food chain.

Music directors here are organising for concerts starting in September of 2021 unless researchers can pin down an effective vaccine.

7 hours ago, David Burgess said:

... I've been working on a "social distancing" device which basically consists of a six-foot-radius hula-hoop, hung from shoulder straps, with either barbed wire or electric fencing placed around the outermost edge (depending on the future availability of batteries).

Li-ion laptop batteries ( better from your Tesla, ) large capacitors from car stereo sub-woofers... should last the entire convention without a recharge unless one goes in for the hugs and kisses. 

I've never been a huggy, kiss-kiss type of person. I like a large personal bubble.  It literally took me years of "faking" it to get to the point where I could hug and kiss as a greeting without cringing or being visibly awkward about it all.

Now I get to go back into my comfort zone. :D

Gotta look for that silver lining...

14 hours ago, Rue said:

If you eat that much garlic, your physical distancing will be ensured...:ph34r:

Yes, but beans can provide an additional audible warning, which may even have greater range, depending on the ambient noise level of the environment.

19 hours ago, Michael_Molnar said:

You won’t like what scientists predict. If they are just half-right, there will be no VSA.

Dr. Dena Grayson is an expert.

https://www.drphil.com/videos/pandemic-expert-predicts-second-even-worse-wave-of-coronavirus-infections-next-winter/

Not only VSA! I guess no Mondomusica in Cremona and China Music in Shanghai as well. I could be wrong but this all has also a strong influence in peoples mind even if all goes down quick.
Many would be still worry to travel larger distance. What if I suddenly fell ill of Covid-19 in foreign countrys? (Yes anything can happen).
And people will think twice now for what they spend money. The whole Violinbusiness will get hammered this year and probably the next as well.
And as long as there is no vaccine for everyone around the world,  our lives and actions will be limited.

On 4/8/2020 at 2:42 PM, Bill Yacey said:

Just eat lots of raw garlic; no batteries required.

From what I can gather, during the 1917 Spanish Flu pandemic, my great grandfather was unaffected, and he was out helping others in the community that were stricken with the flu. He attributed  being unaffected because he would eat raw garlic everyday. I guess the rational was if you create a hostile enough environment in the respiratory tract, viral infections can't take hold.

I wonder if any research has been done to see how the volatile oils from garlic affect the covid virus?

I also eat raw garlic every day. It's best first thing in the morning. I wake up with a sore throat anyway from allergies. Just, crunch crunch and down the hatch with a high fat drink to temper the flavor (I use coconut milk). No more sore throat. 2-3 minced cloves are easily palatable in balsamic vinegar and olive oil, with a good bread for dipping.

One of the celebrity doctors (axe?) referenced a province in China where garlic is grown and is the main industry, and where there were no COVID 19 cases. If this were true, wouldn't it be shouted from every rooftop and news source, and allicin much better-studied?  But still. It can't hurt, unless you are the one woman in China who consumed 3 kg raw garlic in 2 weeks. That would hurt.

2 hours ago, not telling said:

I also eat raw garlic every day. I

Probably quite effective for birth control. Might even rival,

"Beans, beans, the musical fruit". ;)

(the more you eat, the more you toot)

Totally ineffective for birth control. I eat a lot of beans too, because the more you toot the better you feel. Why you picking on me? Eat more garlic. You'll enjoy it.

23 hours ago, Evan Smith said:

I have inhaled powered garlic deep into my lungs for years to kill infections, that and goldenseal.

or nebulized peroxide,,,, oops,,, scary stuff.

Wow!  I am a bit wary of goldenseal, don't know enough about it to do more than tinctures. You inhale it? I have heard of inhaling garlic powder, and boiled garlic steam, haven't done it. 

I wonder if inhaling Stamets 7 would be good. I hope I don't have to get out the razor blade and a dollar, and find out, but I would if I had COVID19 pneumonia. I understand that one should try just about anything at that point. 

2 minutes ago, not telling said:

Totally ineffective for birth control. I eat a lot of beans too, because the more you toot the better you feel. Why you picking on me? Eat more garlic. You'll enjoy it.

Haven't you had something around only two kids so far? So could garlic and beans be a more effective means of birth control than you will readily acknowledge? ;)

1 hour ago, not telling said:

Wow!  I am a bit wary of goldenseal, don't know enough about it to do more than tinctures. You inhale it? I have heard of inhaling garlic powder, and boiled garlic steam, haven't done it. 

I wonder if inhaling Stamets 7 would be good. I hope I don't have to get out the razor blade and a dollar, and find out, but I would if I had COVID19 pneumonia. I understand that one should try just about anything at that point. 

I think that Stamets 7 would be a months before kind of preventive measure.

As far as inhaling golden seal, or anything else for that matter,, if you use a blade and a dollar method, there will be a lot of large stuff that will not get to where you want it to go.

Golden seal makes you feel like you're getting lots of air, they really open up, I had asthma as a kid,,

The trick is to put it into a jar and shake the jar then crack the lid and suck in what is floating, it is now graded,,, it is much smaller (very fine) and it will go all the way to the bottom, or in every crevice of your sinus. If you wait until you have pneumonia all it will do is stick in the  mucus  and will hardly accomplish anything. If the  mucus is thick,, lots of water and NAC will loosen it up,, and lobelia will throw it out of the lungs, you'll cough it up in chunks. A really funny little trick is when there is excess fluid, and you are drowning,,, washing out the bowels will cause the fluid to drain out of the lungs. Otherwise it has to stay there, because with no place to go,,, if it gets to the kidneys it will destroy them. Lomatium and Osha root both have strong anti viral properties that come back out directly through the lungs once ingested. There are groups of people that used them during the Spanish flue with no casualties. We've used them many times,,everyone's gone from work 3 to 4 weeks,, us, 3, 4 days max. 

It will never catch on though,,, there's no money in it.