Sign in to follow this  
Damian

Cello identification

5 hours ago, PhilipKT said:

The ribs are flush with the edges. Does that mean BOB construction?

For years, if not decades, I have preached on these forums that one needs a list of features to be able to confidently attribute an instrument to a particular school. Should one take a single feature as absolute proof that an instrument comes from a particular school, one will find oneself in danger of coming up with ridiculous conclusions. “Ribs flush with edges” is one such feature. Since you evidently wish to start from the beginning, you should start here:

https://maestronet.com/forum/index.php?/topic/325798-quiz-for-addie/&do=findComment&comment=538590

53 minutes ago, jacobsaunders said:

For years, if not decades, I have preached on these forums that one needs a list of features to be able to confidently attribute an instrument to a particular school. Should one take a single feature as absolute proof that an instrument comes from a particular school, one will find oneself in danger of coming up with ridiculous conclusions. “Ribs flush with edges” is one such feature. Since you evidently wish to start from the beginning, you should start here:

https://maestronet.com/forum/index.php?/topic/325798-quiz-for-addie/&do=findComment&comment=538590

One should always begin from the “beer” category, only then shall one find a true path to navigate the knowledge. 

48 minutes ago, Michael H said:

One should always begin from the “beer” category, only then shall one find a true path to navigate the knowledge. 

Lost cause. He has been weaned on their GMO g'schloder

8 hours ago, PhilipKT said:

The ribs are flush with the edges. Does that mean BOB construction?

Not necessarily. BoB rib corners can also be filed back from the edges.

In this case, the rib corners flush with the edges and the rib miters running straight down the center of the join points to BoB construction.

rib_join.jpg

3 hours ago, jacobsaunders said:

Lost cause. He has been weaned on their GMO g'schloder

If you recommend a good bier that is available in the states, I’ll certainly give it a try. However, I would suggest you try some of the offerings from New Belgian brewing before you put every American  brew in the Coors/Budweiser category.

Meanwhile, I did not mean to imply that ribs flush with edges was the sole determinant of BOB construction, just asking if it was an indication.