Maestronet Forums

certificates

kyproset

Hello,

I need advise regarding the certificate of my violin and its worth as a certificate.

I bought my J.B. Vuillaume in Sept. 1990 from Hills in London, just before they closed shop.

The violin came with a new Hill certificate, dated Sept.1990.

Is this cert. a valid, respected one come time to sell, or do I have to get a new one from a reputable  contemporary expert.

This violin  I have shown to several experts and no one ever disputed its authenticity.

I have asked the same question elsewhere here on the auction scroll, but I didn't get an answer.

Thank you for your time and expertise.

I would wait until you really are ready to sell. If you are not getting your price, and people are poo-pooing, then go back to one of the many experts you showed it to, and pay up. (assuming one of these has some real muscle).

From what I see, real Vuillaumes are still very popular. It should sell, unless the violin markets really take a hit

20 minutes ago, GeorgeH said:

Not all Hill Certificates were wrong. :blink:

I'm not insinuating that all Hill certificates are wrong, but mine came at the time when the Hill brothers were getting ready to part, so in all probability my certificate although true and honest, is not as valued as previous ones when the firm was at it's most revered status.

28 minutes ago, deans said:

I would wait until you really are ready to sell. If you are not getting your price, and people are poo-pooing, then go back to one of the many experts you showed it to, and pay up. (assuming one of these has some real muscle).

From what I see, real Vuillaumes are still very popular. It should sell, unless the violin markets really take a hit

Since it already has one, if the prospective buyer wants a better cert, I'm contemplating getting a letter of appraisal from a reputable dealer and if the prospect wants a new cert, they could get it themselves. 

Oh, I just posted in reply to your question in the other certificate thread. While I obviously can't look inside your violin for the brand-stamps, "signature-doodle" etc, from your photos it looks like you have a very fine Vuillaume. Unless there's something seriously wrong with the details, I don't imagine having a new certificate will do anything to help an eventual sale.

17 minutes ago, Michael Appleman said:

Oh, I just posted in reply to your question in the other certificate thread. While I obviously can't look inside your violin for the brand-stamps, "signature-doodle" etc, from your photos it looks like you have a very fine Vuillaume. Unless there's something seriously wrong with the details, I don't imagine having a new certificate will do anything to help an eventual sale.

They are all  inside, the correct for the year label, the signature with the no.57 enclosed by it, the serial number in pencil and the Vuillaume stamp. Thank you for your elaborate answer in both threads.

It seems that since it is so readily identifiable, to the point of one expert recognizing it from a distance of 3 meters away before holding it in his hands, a second certificate would be superfluous.