Maestronet Forums

18th Century? Or Not?

Jg1133

Hello,

This is my first post after reading a great deal over the past week on here. Great content everyone! I was hoping to get some opinions on this violin and any thoughts on time period, country of origin. I am a complete newbie!

Any thoughts would be much appreciated. Thank you!

Justin

s-l1600 (27).jpg

s-l1600 (29).jpg

s-l1600 (30).jpg

s-l1600 (33).jpg

s-l1600 (34).jpg

s-l1600 (35).jpg

s-l1600 (37).jpg

s-l1600 (36).jpg

s-l1600 (38).jpg

s-l1600 (31).jpg

s-l1600 (32).jpg

Thanks guys, I was confused on the scroll myself but the label looked good to me so I was a bit thrown off. The varnish I didn't even think about. This was listed on ebay and I got an offer for $4,500 which I passed on. Trying to figure out if I screwed up there or if I saved myself lol. I appreciate everyone's input, this is an amazing resource that I have enjoyed browsing!

Justin

hmm...

An alleged fussen instrument, ca 1800, of mine has very similar outline and appearance as the OP, except the warmer syrup varnish. I have never thought it could be possibly associated with Thir (school).

I have minimal violin knowledge and have not yet seen a Thir in person. However, in my impression, Thirs tend to be somewhat bold and stout looking, with a relatively broad pattern and rich/warm/dark varnish. Aren't they?

5 hours ago, jacobsaunders said:

The OP violin is a Johann Georg Thir in a rather sorry condition, needing considerable restauration. It doesn't make anything else a Thir violin

Thanks so much Jacob. The person who listed it sent me an offer for $4,500 which I declined. The more I thought about it I was not sure if I made a mistake there or not, as after I reached out I was told it ended up selling for $4,500 to someone else. Would this instrument be worth restoring because it is a Thir? Thank you all again! Trying to boost my knowledge!

I was just fiddling around with one that I always thought was a later Thir, (maybe not). But with the usual rubdown and some condition issues. I have been in the market for a nice clean one, plenty around, but hard to find one that checks all the boxes.

s german 2.jpg

2 hours ago, jacobsaunders said:

The varnish on the belly looks the best. The back looks like someone has rubbed it down a lot, I'm not sure about the scroll either, and the ribs look like they have been planed down (originaly probably 32/33mm high). Seems a little expensive for a restoration project. 

There's this odd scratched down area between bridge and bass soundhole making me wonder if the most part of the varnish isn't a later addition, maybe from the mid 19th. But hard to tell by photos.

8 hours ago, Jg1133 said:

Thanks so much Jacob. The person who listed it sent me an offer for $4,500 which I declined. The more I thought about it I was not sure if I made a mistake there or not, as after I reached out I was told it ended up selling for $4,500 to someone else. Would this instrument be worth restoring because it is a Thir? Thank you all again! Trying to boost my knowledge!

I would be loath to pay so much for one needing so much work. Either my scotish DNA or my survival instinct, not sure which

On 4/4/2020 at 9:58 AM, Jg1133 said:

On 4/4/2020 at 6:50 PM, jacobsaunders said:

I would be loath to pay so much for one needing so much work. Either my scotish DNA or my survival instinct, not sure which

Relisted.  https://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Johann-Georg-Thir-Vienna-1778-Violin-Certication-of-Origin-/153888572258?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l4275.c10

:rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...