Maestronet Forums

What’s your “project in the closet?”

PhilipKT

8 hours ago, Michael Appleman said:

I thought I'd share a vid and some pics of my "corona-viola." My brother is also a violinist who plays some viola from time to time. The last few years, we've been enjoying the fact that a festival here in France pays his way over to play both violin and viola in order to spend time together, and I usually lend him instruments so he doesn't have to schlepp his over. He really liked the last couple of violas I made that I had lent him, and I've had one last bit of maple that our dad had hoarded since the 1960's, so it was my plan to make him a viola since the only one he's got back in NY is a monster 17" JUZEK. 'Nuff said about that.

I thought I'd use the confinement period to get started on it, then I got the news he was in the hospital with a Covid pneumonia, so I started to go at it obsessively, like folding "tsuru" origami in the Japanese tradition. I'm most thankful that my brother was one of the lucky ones and recovered. He's back home in good health now. Meanwhile the viola's finished, set-up and sounding pretty darned good! We'll have to see when a pick-up or a delivery will be possible, but for now I've got another viola to play around with at home!

That is awesome!  And what a wonderful 'momento' to have of Dad, this point in time, and your brother's recovery! :)

I am also impressed by your man-bun. :wub:

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, DoorMouse said:

Very rich sounding viola, although you seem to be more in the bass register yourself :)
What model is it based on?

It's based on the 1785 Guadagnini Strad poster, but going for "Piacenza style" f-holes, since the wood is more of that type than the late Turin period. Those oval finial holes aren't as easy to do as I thought...

3 hours ago, Rue said:

That is awesome!  And what a wonderful 'momento' to have of Dad, this point in time, and your brother's recovery! :)

I am also impressed by your man-bun. :wub:

Thanks for the kind words! The viola I hope will be around for awhile. The man-bun goes as soon as I can get to my barber shop...

24 minutes ago, Jim Bress said:

Forgot to ask what strings you're using. I think Warchal, but not sure which ones.

Yes. I've become a big Warchal fan these last few years. These are Amber long scales. I make my viola bodies Guadagnini-sized, 40-40.5cm, but with a "Stradivari" body stop and string length. I've found the longer 225/150 scale gives a nicer c-string sound, though that's obviously just a personal preference. I use Warchal Timbres on my concert fiddles, and Ambers or Brilliants on the violins I make for my students.

3 minutes ago, Michael Appleman said:

Yes. I've become a big Warchal fan these last few years. These are Amber long scales. I make my viola bodies Guadagnini-sized, 40-40.5cm, but with a "Stradivari" body stop and string length. I've found the longer 225/150 scale gives a nicer c-string sound, though that's obviously just a personal preference. I use Warchal Timbres on my concert fiddles, and Ambers or Brilliants on the violins I make for my students.

Thanks. I thought 375 was was the standard vibrating string length, not long. I have a set of timbers that decided to take a holiday on the way to the States.  We're all on COVID time now, so patience is key.

Why did no one tell me how much fun the chainsaw is!!!??? :lol:

Mine arrived in the mail this morning...I just took it for a test drive...felled some dead trees!!! *bwahaha*

...now I just need to get it some chain oil before I take it out again...don't want to hurt it...:wub:

Hi thanks, Its figured cedar of lebanon. I seem to be the only person to have any of it. Never seen any other with that figure even on google . I bought a load of it years ago .

Its a fantastic tonewood  for tops ,slightly warmer tone  than spruce  but more spruce like than spanish or american cedar.. It is really an under used tonewood.

heres some property comparisons if they mean anything to you. The modulus of elasticity is about the same as european spruce.

the back /sides are Goncalo Alves.

49252184853_093928e04e_o(1).jpg

top wood properties.jpg

6 hours ago, fiddlecollector said:

My corona project for last few lockdown weeks has been two non identical twin guitars , enjoyed making them. Haven`t  made an acoustic since the late 1980`s . Just for my own personal use.

Some photos.

P1130715.jpg

P1130692.jpg

P1130709.jpg

P1130722.jpg

P1130629.jpg

P1130520.JPG

Nice!  Shedua backs? now all you need to do is incorporate them into large wooden bullhorns :rolleyes:

Beautiful guitars, Fiddlecollector! Have you tried or are you thinking about using that Cedar of Lebanon for a bowed-string instrument, like that Giovanni Maria lira, or some such thing? I don't have my Ashmolean collection book at hand, but I remember there being something else in the collection made with that wood attributed to Da Salo.

9 hours ago, Jim Bress said:

Amazing wood.  The type you buy when you see it. Even if you don't know how you'll use it. Cuz your not likely to see it again.  Thanks for the pics.  The guitars are beautiful.  Did you have a request, or did you make them for yourself?

They were just for myself. Fancied a change from violin/bow work. Also didnt currently have an acoustic guitar as the last i made was borrowed by my eldest daughter and ended up in several pieces after a row with her then boyfriend:angry: I used to own a nice guitar by Roger Bucknell of Fylde guitars ,made in the 1970`s which had a western red cedar top with mahagany back/sides but regretably sold it years ago.