Sign in to follow this  
PhilipKT

What’s your “project in the closet?”

9 hours ago, jezzupe said:

No this is where you have to open up your acreage to smelly hippies and do community gardening, but because it's your property you can declare yourself overlord and then you can start coming up with some fun cult leader cult stuff, like maybe make them all wear uniforms, or drink koolaid or go up against the ATF er somethin exciting like that.:rolleyes:

nah, just taking up the bass sounds better

You have me thinking...

The thought of a uniform is intriguing...

I'm just looking around...and I think sweat pants and a baggy t-shirt would work. Hubby is already on board... now there's two of us! 

Taking up the bass?  I'm having a S T R E T C H with my small hands spanning 4 frets on a 640 mm scale guitar! I do follow bass lines ALL THE TIME.  Anything I hear, I hear the bass line first.  If I were to play one, I want to play like Chris Squire played.  Even turning it into a solo instrument.  Like this final track on an album I had back in 71.  Of course, it could also be a drums, guitar, or keyboard master class as well.  Ernie made me do it; tune for the day.

36 minutes ago, Rue said:

You have me thinking...

The thought of a uniform is intriguing...

I'm just looking around...and I think sweat pants and a baggy t-shirt would work. Hubby is already on board... now there's two of us! 

Congratulations, you have established your very own cult! Now all you need is to not take a shower and some pot brownies and your in business!

...well, no brownies...but some weed-free banana bread?

I could have the dullest cult ever.

Switching my brain around, to rethink treble notes on the EADG guitar strings, to bass notes on the EADG strings might cause me some "mental" issues :wacko::angry::(.

On the plus side:

"Hey! Can you tell what I'm playing?"

"Not a clue."

"How about now?"

"When the Saints Go Marching in? Maybe?"

"Woohoo! Success!!! I'm a bass player!" 

:ph34r:

On 4/2/2020 at 8:16 PM, Don Noon said:

By knowing the material properties (which I do), I can scale the dimensions to match the mass and stiffness distribution of a spruce bar, and I think that's about all that matters.  An aluminum bar should be about the same profile as normal, but only 1mm wide or less.  Gluing to the plate might be an issue. Damping might matter a little bit, but I'll bet not much for the bar itself.  "Tuning" with taptones for a bass bar I think is pointless or even counterproductive.

On 4/3/2020 at 2:52 PM, Dale Vanderlaan said:

You might want to look into using very thick shellac.  It sticks to wood and metal and is used in player piano actions where metal vacuum tubes need to be attached into wood and sealed air tight.

Dale

On 4/4/2020 at 4:11 PM, David Burgess said:

I can think of better adhesives, not excluding hot hide glue.

Well, I was assuming he would want something that would be reversible.  Sure epoxy would stick really well but what if repositioning or replacing with another trial bass bar were desired?  Hot hide glue does not stick well to a non-porous material such as aluminum whereas very thick shellac (think molasses in January) will.  Here are pictures of a test I did just in case I was way off base.  The grain of all of the spruce blocks was oriented as it would be on the inside of the plate like a bass bar.  The two on the left were adhered with the thick shellac and the two on the right with hot hide glue.  Clamped and left for 5 days in case the aluminum restricted the drying of either adhesive.  The glued pieces popped right off easily leaving no residue on the aluminum.  Those with shellac were hard to break off and actually pulled some of the spruce off of its surface leaving it stuck to the aluminum.

I think the problem Don would have with such a thin aluminum bass bar would be in the actual shearing strength of the spruce itself under the same load a customary bass bar would have.  Under the bridge the force would be pushing the plate onto the bass bar.  Away from the bridge the bass bar will be pulling away from the plate as it distributes its load to the underside of the plate.  Very little surface area for the spruce plate to resist shear - especially the softer, between grain line wood.

Still thinking too much,

Dale

IMG_2079.JPG

IMG_2081.JPG

I think that you would need to do something like what i did with the composite fingerboard that I used. Glue a piece (for the bass bar, a strip) of wood to the bar with epoxy and then glue the bar into the top with hide glue to the wood strip. With the composite FB, since hide glue won't work with it, I glued the board to a veneer with a non-reversible adhesive, then glued the veneer to the neck with hide glue. Of course, that ruins the concept of a completely aluminum bar, but you could also screw it through the outside of the top with pre-tapped screws...

Of course, Don has thought out his own ways of doing this, which we might be privy to in good time.

The wiff had to take a mandatory vacation day, so she and Butthead decided to strip wallpaper. What could be more fun than stripping wallpaper? :lol:

The danged cat likes to attack every piece as it falls to the floor, sometimes catching it in midair.

20200416_091430.jpg

On 4/2/2020 at 10:49 AM, Jim Bress said:

Meade, literally my project in the closet. 

AAA2B7BE-2D44-4699-B032-2EF1D20487B4.thumb.jpeg.3203ec695ac2fa4da5bb4f0a0d3d7fdc.jpeg

That reminds me, I have to get my barrel of sanitizer fermenting.

In addition to a considerable about of home, boat and car maintenance and repair, including things you probably wouldn't bother doing (in my case, re grouting the floor tiles in the kitchen, dining and entrance way.  My back may never be the same.) I've decided to learn bow re-hairing.  I have John Stagg's great book and I have found Giles Nehr's YouTube videos to be good.  You will be amazed to read that I don't think you can treat everything on Youtube as useful information! :D 

Any suggestions for other good info sources for bow re-hairing?

Stay safe.

Tim

On 4/2/2020 at 10:10 AM, J Corry said:

I’ve been working of a six string viola for a couple of years, maybe I’ll get that moving finally!

Wouldn't that be a viol, rather than a viola?

On 4/19/2020 at 11:13 PM, violguy said:

My closet project: completion of a Prima Balalaika.

I thought about building a Domra, a  4 string Balalaika of sorts, with a bowl shaped back made up of compound angle strips similar to the Balalaika back construction.

...got another project done! :) Made two cotton face masks. 

Three layers of cotton, with a filter pocket, and a metal nose-piece.

Seems reasonably comfortable, fits well - but the drawback is that it's a bit inconvenient to put on and take off.  Not hard, but takes a moment. Might not be the best for going in/out of stores, but quite good for prolonged wearing.

I used this pattern:

@tango

Cool! :D

Is that your first viola? I can't quite remember if you made one yet.

This project wasn't in the closet, so to speak, and it's an infinity project :mellow:...regardless, I've gone ahead and ordered myself my very own cute little rechargable chainsaw (er, provided it doesn't get lost in the mail like my electronics :angry:)...so I can clear some deadwood on my own. My pruning shears just weren't "cutting it" (:ph34r:).

Hubby will still have to do the major chain-sawing, but I should be able to tackle smaller jobs (and trees).

Once I have my piles, I can mulch my mulch pile (with my mulcher), and burn my burn pile (old school - with matches)...so exciting!

20200504_160851.jpg

On 4/13/2020 at 11:41 AM, Rue said:

...well, no brownies...but some weed-free banana bread?

I could have the dullest cult ever.

Switching my brain around, to rethink treble notes on the EADG guitar strings, to bass notes on the EADG strings might cause me some "mental" issues :wacko::angry::(.

On the plus side:

"Hey! Can you tell what I'm playing?"

"Not a clue."

"How about now?"

"When the Saints Go Marching in? Maybe?"

"Woohoo! Success!!! I'm a bass player!" 

:ph34r:

Rough crowd!

I thought I'd share a vid and some pics of my "corona-viola." My brother is also a violinist who plays some viola from time to time. The last few years, we've been enjoying the fact that a festival here in France pays his way over to play both violin and viola in order to spend time together, and I usually lend him instruments so he doesn't have to schlepp his over. He really liked the last couple of violas I made that I had lent him, and I've had one last bit of maple that our dad had hoarded since the 1960's, so it was my plan to make him a viola since the only one he's got back in NY is a monster 17" JUZEK. 'Nuff said about that.

I thought I'd use the confinement period to get started on it, then I got the news he was in the hospital with a Covid pneumonia, so I started to go at it obsessively, like folding "tsuru" origami in the Japanese tradition. I'm most thankful that my brother was one of the lucky ones and recovered. He's back home in good health now. Meanwhile the viola's finished, set-up and sounding pretty darned good! We'll have to see when a pick-up or a delivery will be possible, but for now I've got another viola to play around with at home!

viola3back18s.thumb.jpg.d35b4a9dc902f262e2622a03095b2cd0.jpgviola3tuttifrutti.jpg.2b3b84ba266768e58d1e214a2751bb9f.jpg2092409351_backforviola3papasoldstocks.jpg.92ea2d22249a51fc4868ce37ed40ce68.jpg

And a little video I made to show my brother the finished viola:

viola3back4s.jpg