Sign in to follow this  
Rue

The back of the scroll on this violin?

Yes. I'm mindlessly surfing...:ph34r:

Here we have a local violin carcass being sold cheaply! Only $975! 

However...if you look at the fuzzy photo of the back of the scroll, it's a little different.

Just a one-off? Or was this a trend at some point? 

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-string-instrument/saskatoon/old-violin/1486051165?undefined

Unless this is a viola?

Internet_20200401_134442_12.jpeg

I’ve seen those many times. They usually said something like “conservatory” But they always had something engraved in the flat spot identifying a school of some kind

And quite often, we violin makers carve that flat spot out and retouch the varnish. Conservatory, soloist, "Lady's Violin", paganini, student. These are all things that I have seen carved on the backs of the scrolls.

I had a viola once that ha "conservatory violin" on the shield, even though at 15.5" it was unquestionably a viola, guess they only had one stamp.

1 hour ago, Rue said:

Here we have a local violin carcass being sold cheaply! Only $975! 

BTW, I assume this is Canadian Tire money

LOL...^_^

I am not sure what's going on here with old violin prices. I suspect because there are relatively few instruments, the notion that all violins become valuable with age sets the price.

But someone equally misguided must also be paying these prices.

No one I've asked has a clue either.

Thanks for all the info everyone!  And that catalogue is awesome! Apparently a lot of our furniture was ordered from it...:lol:

43 minutes ago, Rue said:

LOL...^_^

I am not sure what's going on here with old violin prices. I suspect because there are relatively few instruments, the notion that all violins become valuable with age sets the price.

But someone equally misguided must also be paying these prices.

No one I've asked has a clue either.

Thanks for all the info everyone!  And that catalogue is awesome! Apparently a lot of our furniture was ordered from it...:lol:

Your furniture has “conservatory” stamped all over it?

2 hours ago, Nick Allen said:

Everyone knows that Canada uses Monopoly money. 

We might as well, 
That $975 Canadian is about $10 USD right now ;) :o

Awesome!  What all did you do to it?  Do you have a nice clear photo of the back of the scroll?

Excellent!  Thank you!  

It helps to be able to actually see what you think you're seeing! :D

1 hour ago, Rue said:

Awesome!  What all did you do to it?  Do you have a nice clear photo of the back of the scroll?

I'll take one sometime tonight or tomorrow. Top was cracked by the fingerboard, and looked like it had been sitting for decades. Fixed the crack and graduated the top, new bass bar, and made fingerboard,  fitted post, bridge and new pegs. Sounds pretty good.

Before pic

Screenshot_20200402-112501_Gallery.jpg

16 hours ago, deans said:

I got one of those.  Can I get $1400 for it?

2 hours ago, keyboardclass said:

Pardon my ignorance but when you say 'graduated the top' do you mean carved out some of the inside?  Is that not an evil thing to do?

You don't know what graduating a top means?  It's seriously frowned on for decent violins, but a lot of these violins are so poorly finished on the inside (deep gouge marks, and thicknesses varying all over the place)  that graduating these no name cheap instruments is more like finishing the work that the original "cottage" makers didn't do.

54 minutes ago, keyboardclass said:

I do know what it means and it tends to ruin the instrument (you can't put it back).  I think there's a need for a new name for tidying beaver wood.

Why? When you make a violin, you carve it out first with gouges, and then finish it with finger planes, and measurements. The last two steps are the graduation part, and that's exactly what you do on these old roughly gouged tops.

"it tends to ruin the instrument"

You can't "ruin" an old "cottage industry" violin, with a 6mm thick top, by graduating it to more reasonable thicknesses!

26 minutes ago, FiddleDoug said:

Why? When you make a violin, you carve it out first with gouges, and then finish it with finger planes, and measurements. The last two steps are the graduation part, and that's exactly what you do on these old roughly gouged tops.

"it tends to ruin the instrument"

You can't "ruin" an old "cottage industry" violin, with a 6mm thick top, by graduating it to more reasonable thicknesses!

Thank you.