Sign in to follow this  
Rue

The back of the scroll on this violin?

Recommended Posts

Yes. I'm mindlessly surfing...:ph34r:

Here we have a local violin carcass being sold cheaply! Only $975! 

However...if you look at the fuzzy photo of the back of the scroll, it's a little different.

Just a one-off? Or was this a trend at some point? 

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-string-instrument/saskatoon/old-violin/1486051165?undefined

Unless this is a viola?

 

Internet_20200401_134442_12.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve seen those many times. They usually said something like “conservatory” But they always had something engraved in the flat spot identifying a school of some kind

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And quite often, we violin makers carve that flat spot out and retouch the varnish. Conservatory, soloist, "Lady's Violin", paganini, student. These are all things that I have seen carved on the backs of the scrolls.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a viola once that ha "conservatory violin" on the shield, even though at 15.5" it was unquestionably a viola, guess they only had one stamp.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rue said:

Here we have a local violin carcass being sold cheaply! Only $975! 

BTW, I assume this is Canadian Tire money

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

LOL...^_^

I am not sure what's going on here with old violin prices. I suspect because there are relatively few instruments, the notion that all violins become valuable with age sets the price.

But someone equally misguided must also be paying these prices.

No one I've asked has a clue either.

Thanks for all the info everyone!  And that catalogue is awesome! Apparently a lot of our furniture was ordered from it...:lol:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Rue said:

LOL...^_^

I am not sure what's going on here with old violin prices. I suspect because there are relatively few instruments, the notion that all violins become valuable with age sets the price.

But someone equally misguided must also be paying these prices.

No one I've asked has a clue either.

Thanks for all the info everyone!  And that catalogue is awesome! Apparently a lot of our furniture was ordered from it...:lol:

 

Your furniture has “conservatory” stamped all over it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Nick Allen said:

Everyone knows that Canada uses Monopoly money. 

We might as well, 
That $975 Canadian is about $10 USD right now ;) :o

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Awesome!  What all did you do to it?  Do you have a nice clear photo of the back of the scroll?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Excellent!  Thank you!  

It helps to be able to actually see what you think you're seeing! :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rue said:

Awesome!  What all did you do to it?  Do you have a nice clear photo of the back of the scroll?

I'll take one sometime tonight or tomorrow. Top was cracked by the fingerboard, and looked like it had been sitting for decades. Fixed the crack and graduated the top, new bass bar, and made fingerboard,  fitted post, bridge and new pegs. Sounds pretty good.

 

Before pic

Screenshot_20200402-112501_Gallery.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, deans said:

I got one of those.  Can I get $1400 for it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, keyboardclass said:

Pardon my ignorance but when you say 'graduated the top' do you mean carved out some of the inside?  Is that not an evil thing to do?

You don't know what graduating a top means?  It's seriously frowned on for decent violins, but a lot of these violins are so poorly finished on the inside (deep gouge marks, and thicknesses varying all over the place)  that graduating these no name cheap instruments is more like finishing the work that the original "cottage" makers didn't do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, keyboardclass said:

I do know what it means and it tends to ruin the instrument (you can't put it back).  I think there's a need for a new name for tidying beaver wood.

Why? When you make a violin, you carve it out first with gouges, and then finish it with finger planes, and measurements. The last two steps are the graduation part, and that's exactly what you do on these old roughly gouged tops.

"it tends to ruin the instrument"

You can't "ruin" an old "cottage industry" violin, with a 6mm thick top, by graduating it to more reasonable thicknesses!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, FiddleDoug said:

Why? When you make a violin, you carve it out first with gouges, and then finish it with finger planes, and measurements. The last two steps are the graduation part, and that's exactly what you do on these old roughly gouged tops.

"it tends to ruin the instrument"

You can't "ruin" an old "cottage industry" violin, with a 6mm thick top, by graduating it to more reasonable thicknesses!

Thank you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.