Sign in to follow this  
uva0224

who is Lorenzo Vencich?

IMHO, given that the cert only admits to "labeled", and the lack of a paper trail in auction records, plus that the seller has only 10 total feedbacks for selling, none for violins, at that price, I'd shop elsewhere.  :)

This is an object lesson in how to polish a turd through liberal application of the word "Italian".

The label doesn't say it's Italian. Vencich is an anglicization of an Eastern European name. The appraisal doesn't say it's Italian, simply "made in the Italian style" which I take it means that it's like a violin.

It wasn't bought in Italy but the alleged former owner felt the wood "looked Italian".

Ay ay ay ...

The violin itself seems to be some kind of Reghin instrument, though possibly "varnished at home" - a sort of oven-ready baguette affair perhaps.

I'm sure Martin's verdict is correct but (unlike most) the vendor's tone at least sounds genuine.  Applying "faker psychology", why would a crook dream up an Eastern European name (actually not necessarily so eastern) to persuade us the violin is Italian? My username in fact derives from the violin maker I met and bought from in Florence. And we know how many tennis players with names ending in "..ic" hail from the old Yugoslavia.

On 3/29/2020 at 5:30 PM, uva0224 said:

I couldn’t find out who is this maker. Maybe someone here knows him. Is he still alive?

And what do you think about the violin?

thank you and stay health 

eBay list:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F233532891991

The last name is more like Serbian not Italian. One can get a better instrument from the Howard Core catalogue at under 1K than this...

On ‎3‎/‎30‎/‎2020 at 2:56 PM, matesic said:

My username in fact derives from the violin maker I met and bought from in Florence

Must have been good enough to do so?

1 hour ago, antero said:

Must have been good enough to do so?

Giuseppe Matesic was an amateur maker, a retired medic I think, whose brand new violin I tried in Paulo Vettori's workshop in 1997 and was immediately impressed. It served me well for more than 20 years until I sold it a few weeks ago but I'm keeping the username!

On ‎4‎/‎3‎/‎2020 at 7:18 PM, matesic said:

It served me well for more than 20 years until I sold it a few weeks ago but I'm keeping the username!

Quite a story! :)

But why did you sell?

I guess every player occasionally needs a change to stay fresh. For 20 years I was satisfied and never seriously looked at another fiddle. I enjoyed the Matesic for its clarity and sweetness, but started to lust after more warmth and texture - the sort of sound that makes you purr along!  Allied to that, I've become somewhat susceptible to the mystique of a violin's age and history. Now I think I've found "the one", but you never know...

...ah yes!  The age-old problem of 'infiddledelity'...:mellow:

I don't want to make a fuss or a quiz out of it, but this is the fiddle that rang my bell. I know, it isn't "fine", it's too long (363 mm) and narrow, it's been heavily touched up and it's got cracks in the pegbox and possibly even an SP crack in the back (not visible inside), but I love it for its sound and playability and other things I can't really articulate. Charles Harris London 1809, last set up by George Wulme Hudson in 1930. It was a reassuringly cheap (£450) impulse buy from Bromptons where I didn't even go to view it. Funny how these things happen.

harris back front.jpg