Sign in to follow this  
Dwight Brown

Lighting for Violin Photography

Would a set like this work for violin photography?

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1422807-REG/bescor_specterk_specter_slim_line_bi_color_soft.html/qa

I have cameras coming out of my ears digital and film minox to 4x5.  I probably would use a Canon 6D (20 megapixels ) and a Canon 24 -105 f4.0 L lens.  I have a really solid Gitzo tripod and remote release.  I know I'm trying to cheap out on the lights but they are not going to get used that much.  I read Mr. Darton's paper on violin photography several times but I am stuck on a lighting kit.  I would really rather not use flash and I have a feeling really big soft boxes might be best.  I'm guessing that like doing human portraits it's probably best to use a long lens of around 100mm to avoid distortion and have a bit easier working distance.  I would be OK to go with something more expensive if need be.  If you see something on https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/browse/Lighting-Studio/ci/1161/N/4294551176  that looks like a good idea let me know.  They are my usual suppliers of photo equipment and they have a huge selection.

Thanks Guys,

DLB

I use Canon 24-105 lens too for taking photos of my instruments together with 4 Studioflashlights. But in my experience i find big Umbrellas better as Softboxes.

The color temperature is adjustable between 3200-5600K. In my experience dichroic varnish colors turn towards red with decreasing the color temperature of the light source. IMHO nice varnishes look even nicer und halogen lighting, which is around 2900-3000K.