Sterilizing violins

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is this a debate? LOL

Better safe than sorry.  To the OP, do what you feel is safe taking the minimum standards and going from there.  If scientists say 3 days, go an extra day or two.  Rather be healthy and alive to earn a living than sick or dead.

Now...I have a question...scientists and many here are talking about wood and hard surfaces.  Does the varnish make any difference in analysis?  

On 9/28/2020 at 11:22 AM, violinnewb said:

Why is this a debate? LOL

Better safe than sorry.  To the OP, do what you feel is safe taking the minimum standards and going from there.  If scientists say 3 days, go an extra day or two.  Rather be healthy and alive to earn a living than sick or dead.

Now...I have a question...scientists and many here are talking about wood and hard surfaces.  Does the varnish make any difference in analysis?  

I knew the answer based on reports on studies I've previously read.  However, COVID-19 is new, and what we "know" about the virus can be expected to be a moving target.  I did a quick google search and found an update from the Cleveland Clinic.  I have not read the actual study and I'm usually a bit skeptical about articles reporting scientific findings because they sometimes leave out key qualifiers and context that would lead to different interpretations.  The addition of wood is new, I think.  I would expect an intact varnish surface have more in common with a non pervious surface than bare wood. However, what makes sense, or seems logical, may be quite different than what actually occurs. Also, cleanliness of the surface is a factor.  

https://health.clevelandclinic.org/how-long-will-coronavirus-survive-on-surfaces/

• Glass – 5 days.
  • Wood – 4 days.
  • Plastic & stainless-steel – 3 days.
  • Cardboard – 24 hours.
  • Copper surfaces – 4 hours.

Hmm.

I suppose we're each yet another 'variable' that relates to how we interpret information as well. ^_^

Better safe than sorry - no problem.  But how many 'layers' of protection do we need to feel safe?

For example; science tells me that if I boil an egg - it denatures the protein by disrupting the bonds, resulting in the liquid protein solidifying and become hard.

If I want a hard boiled egg - I may boil it for 6 minutes (or whatever cooking method you use).  To be safe and not have a runny yolk - I may boil it for 7 minutes.  If I boil it for 30 minutes...it's overkill.

If a virus - (most are short-lived outside of a host) - can still be alive (and there's a question if a virus is even 'alive' as we know it) on a surface after xx many hours or days, that doesn't necessarily mean it can still infect a host.  It may be too weak.  Or - the numbers of virus that are still infectious on that surface might not be enough to cause an infection in the host (viral load), etc.

And...it has to get into your body.  Which means you have to transfer it from a surface to your mucosa (ex. mouth, eyes, nose).  Our hands/skin actually have antipathogenic properties, which is why viruses can't enter our bodies directly through touch. So, we also need to be careful of 'overwashing' or of having badly chapped hands - that might backfire.

So - do wash your hands regularly (but not excessively), especially after touching something you are concerned about...and keep them away from your face...