Sign in to follow this  
DoorMouse

Grand Pattern vs PG

I was just doing some comparing between a Grand Pattern and a what I'm assuming is a Strad PG instrument (1718) and was noticing the striking similarities in shape and size.  
The measurements are all within one or two mm and the only differences I'm seeing in the outline are the upper c-bout curves being tighter on the Strad. 
Anyways, I'm sure this has been discussed somewhere before.  I'm just excited that I can probably get away with using the same mould for either!
Here's an overlay of the two instruments.. 

1276175998_ScreenShot2020-03-24at3_50_09PM.thumb.png.c818f2b43926eeea61cd3bca2470f03b.png

If you start stacking outlines you will find that the whole Cremonese school derives a lot from the Bros Amati grand pattern, and that compared with other schools, the differences are relatively minor.

Well that's a pretty clear comparison!  I'm going to have to pick up a copy of that book sooner or later. 
You can really make out the difference in the upper curves of the c-bouts. 

7 hours ago, Michael Darnton said:

If you start stacking outlines you will find that the whole Cremonese school derives a lot from the Bros Amati grand pattern, and that compared with other schools, the differences are relatively minor.

I've gone down a bit of an outline stacking rabbit hole today and have found that this is absolutely correct, especially if you do away with scale.  It's surprising how similar even a GDG and a Strad outline are apart from their corner placement and angle. 
I'm wondering now what it would look like to make a form that's an average of all the different variations.  

Thank you. You might be the only person I've ever mentioned who actually tried it. The results are enlightening. On other schools, the measurements can all be the same, yet the curves are conceived totally differently. The Cremonese obviously had a common idea going.

51 minutes ago, DoorMouse said:

Well that's a pretty clear comparison!  I'm going to have to pick up a copy of that book sooner or later. 
You can really make out the difference in the upper curves of the c-bouts. 

Easily done by the way you cut the blocks. A tight curve or a larger one.