Sign in to follow this  
wooden

Help with identifying this one...

Hello. Can anyone help in identifying this violin? The purfling is painted in both back and top. It is big: 36,1 cms. Thanks in advance.

The usual questions would be:

How deep goes the front scroll fluting, till 6'o clock or to the bitter end?

Is the lower rib divide, one piece or could it have been one piece formerly?

Which shape have the corner blocks, symmetrical or assymetrical, linings morticed into the blocks?

Are the ribs let into grooves at the bottom?

Thanks for your posts. I'm posting some photos. I hope they are useful. The scroll fluting goes almost to the end and I think there is no delta just a wider middle ridge. I'm not quite sure the ribs are let into grooves in the back. The lower rib is one piece althoug it has a vertical scratch to mark the middle and a notch at the back. Four corner blocks. The upper and lower ones are really flat.

You might want to replace the tailpiece gut.  It looks old.  I'm not an expert on tailpiece guts, but I did see one break and crack the top.

3 hours ago, Ratcliffiddles said:

Wondering if it's something like a "provincial" French early 19th century violin

Agree. The feathering of the rib joints and the one piece bottom rib are pointing to the French construction method.

BTW, the Spanish location of the OP are letting me always suspect a sort of South French/Pyrenean origin.;)

1 hour ago, Blank face said:

Agree. The feathering of the rib joints and the one piece bottom rib are pointing to the French construction method.

Thanks. What do you mean with that? Maybe outside mould?

On 3/25/2020 at 5:26 PM, wooden said:

Maybe outside mould?

No, they presumably glued the shaped blocks to the bottom plate and built the ribs around them. The result can from outside look as if a mould was used. Often the corner blocks are longer in the C bouts (just opposite to an inside mould construction), sometimes the tips of the linings glued over the blocks with a point, but not always.

We discussed it sometimes: