Sign in to follow this  
BowBow

What be this old violin?

Recommended Posts

Is it some kind of churned out English thing? Pretty roughly made in places and painted on purfling front and back. 

Merci Merci 

 

 

_20200322_155350.JPG

_20200322_155828.JPG

_20200322_160034.JPG

_20200322_160132.JPG

_20200322_160300.JPG

_20200322_160332.JPG

_20200322_160915.JPG

_20200322_161129.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agree with Saxony. The scroll looks very typical for "cheap trade" from the very early 19th century from this region..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cool early 19th century Saxon sounds good to me. It was just sold as a generic basic old violin and it seemed interesting from the pictures.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, jacobsaunders said:

The beach(?) scroll would suggest that it was a particularly cheap one

Beech. Cool that sounds right up my street, the cheaper the better ;-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, jacobsaunders said:

The beach(?) scroll would suggest that it was a particularly cheap one

"Beech".   That's part of what leaves the question of "Rural English" open, IMHO, but you'd have to handle and examine it to sort that out.  Some of the rural makers were pretty obviously copying Saxon originals.  Maybe that's all they had to copy?  :huh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Violadamore said:

 Some of the rural makers were pretty obviously copying Saxon originals.  Maybe that's all they had to copy?  :huh:

Speaking from experience B)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, jacobsaunders said:

Speaking from experience B)

Of handling both cheap Brit fiddles, and original masterpieces from Markneukirchen, yes.  partytime.gif.9565c4ee4880e95bd19fe2dd005460cc.gif  ;):lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Violadamore said:

"Beech".   That's part of what leaves the question of "Rural English" open, IMHO, but you'd have to handle and examine it to sort that out.  Some of the rural makers were pretty obviously copying Saxon originals.  Maybe that's all they had to copy?  :huh:

I don't think you will find many English makers were using beech.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.