Sign in to follow this  
Don Noon

2020 Pandemic Covid-19

Just now, Michael Szyper said:

Maybe I am not realizing how much fear there is around. At least if some people call a virus an alien. I shouldn’t have chime into this thread. Visiting maestronet is so relaxing to me after a working day talking all the time about nothing but coved. And what am i doing here? - Talking about COVID. Sorry guys. Also for (hopefully not) taking hope.

Wow, again, strange word interpretation. Are you literally implying that I am LITERALLY implying that it is "alien" as if from another planet?

To clear that up AS IF it were an alien, meaning its a non human entity/thing/virus that does not play by "your "rules...."Your' meaning humans.

4 minutes ago, jezzupe said:

Wow, again, strange word interpretation. Are you literally implying that I am LITERALLY implying that it is "alien" as if from another planet?

To clear that up AS IF it were an alien, meaning its a non human entity/thing/virus that does not play by "your "rules...."Your' meaning humans.

Actually i was not referring to you. There are plenty of people making similar comparisons, as abstract as they may be.

1 hour ago, Potter said:

Because “our fearless leader” often resorts to jingoistism, nationalism, and racism. He is less interested in who is responsible than winding up his people and ascribing responsibility to anyone but himself for anything. My view of the guy is he would prefer our government to be more like China. Pesky elections, Congress, judiciary. When his base gets riled enough they won’t be parsing the government of China versus the people of China versus Chinese people. 

I don’t want this to become too political, because of obvious reasons, but your first two sentences apply far more to the leadership of China than to the leadership of the United States, although I will grant you the point that they are in many ways very similar. The differences are enormous, however, And I personally thank God for them.

Edited by PhilipKT

Just now, Michael Szyper said:

Actually i was not referring to you. There are plenty of people making similar comparisons, as abstract as they may be.

Personally I think that it is an accurate way to describe it, as do I guess "plenty" of other people

Reminder: if we get totally political :angry:...

Jeffrey will come. :ph34r:

30 minutes ago, MeyerFittings said:

Paranoia:

when you go to a football game and you think the players in the huddle are talking about You.

That made me laugh, I’m going to put it in my list of stuff to say. Thank you very much.

5 minutes ago, Rue said:

Reminder: if we get totally political :angry:...

Jeffrey will come. :ph34r:

Something I find odd is that when 911 happened , there was 100% factually some group of unknown people who had Nostradamus like abilities a decided to unload huge amounts of airline stocks prior to the event, and in a similar way I am "puzzled" that in a similar fashion some unknown group of people seemingly caused a massive panic back in early January in the "repo" market, ie. cash in circulation,  trillions of dollars in cash was "disappearing" like someone{s} was really wanting to stuff away massive amounts of cash.

I'm sure it's just a coincidence :rolleyes: just like the airline stocks

1 hour ago, Michael Szyper said:

Do you guys really not understand my problem with false hopes?

Does that imply that there are "true" hopes?  

If so, what's the difference between "false" hopes and "true hopes"?

I suppose while we're at it we should define "high hopes"

People either believe in the democratic process of electing leaders or they don't. Leaders have to be accountable for their actions but should not be harassed by the media over trivialities and beat-ups. Trying to undermine elected leaders by whatever means they think might work probably won't succeed and does not respect that democratic process.

58 minutes ago, Marty Kasprzyk said:

I suppose while we're at it we should define "high hopes"

The sort of things you have to consume a tremendous quantity of intoxicants to seriously expect, such as "The Age of Aquarius", or "Truth in Advertising"?  :huh:

Oh, of course.  Something like the expectation that a thread like this might maintain harmony and tranquillity for more than eight pages.  :):lol:

1 hour ago, PhilipKT said:

I don’t want this to become too political, because of obvious reasons, but your first two sentences apply far more to the leadership of China than to the leadership of the United States, although I will grant you the point that they are in many ways very similar. The differences are enormous, however, And I personally thank God for them.

I’m glad we have our system, too.The point was I am not sure the guy in the White House shares those values. 

15 minutes ago, Potter said:

I’m glad we have our system, too.The point was I am not sure the guy in the White House shares those values. 

A Very Stable Genius

1 hour ago, Dennis J said:

People either believe in the democratic process of electing leaders or they don't. Leaders have to be accountable for their actions but should not be harassed by the media over trivialities and beat-ups. Trying to undermine elected leaders by whatever means they think might work probably won't succeed and does not respect that democratic process.

well.....  One may believe in the democratic process yet sit by helplessly watching the results of that process become twisted beyond recognition by political hacks and special interests.   Regarding the media, it is unfortunate that they have become obligated to bear sole responsibility for the oversight of the Executive branch; the Senate and other segments of the media are determined to ensure there is no accountability in the Executive branch.   And, yes, the media has gone too far on occasion, but I am still thankful for their courage in spite  of the constant, deceitful attempts to silence them.

The government owned national radio/television broadcaster in Australia, the ABC (Australian Broadcasting Corporation), is widely accepted to be staffed overwhelmingly by lefties. It wasn't always the case I think, but since the 60s it certainly has been. That's not to say that it isn't run professionally but the political  influence of the left is pretty apparent to many. Of course we have a diverse media landscape just like America, and the suggestion that there is something wrong with the balance in the US seems a little strange to me.

1 hour ago, Potter said:

The guy in the White House cares about his hotels, and his money. I don’t think he is evil in the sense that the Chinese leaders are evil. I think he is an incompetent arrogant buffoon, but I don’t think he’s evil. But our system of government is based on a rule of law and a certain list of rights that don’t exist in China. The dictator in China is perfectly capable of murdering 100 million people if it suits his purpose. His personal idol is a man who did exactly that.

Edited by PhilipKT

4 minutes ago, Dennis J said:

The government owned national radio/television broadcaster in Australia, the ABC (Australian Broadcasting Corporation), is widely accepted to be staffed overwhelmingly by lefties. It wasn't always the case I think, but since the 60s it certainly has been. That's not to say that it isn't run professionally but the political  influence of the left is pretty apparent to many. Of course we have a diverse media landscape just like America, and the suggestion that there is something wrong with the balance in the US seems a little strange to me.

The media generally is dominated by the left, and I don’t mind that, what I mind is people who are skewed to the left but insist they are being neutral, when they most certainly are not.

Define Left.  Is it something left of you? Are you the norm? What is nuetral? Who gets to say what is nuetral?. If popular opinion moves one way or the other, does nuetral move also?  Do you think that your friends in Alabama are more nuetral than your friends in California?  Unquiring minds want to know.

I have tried to stay out of this, but really Dennis J you need to give yourself a shake and Philip too. 

The right howl  about left wing media. The left shake their heads about a media dominated by conservative forces. So long as the media pisses off both sides it's probably doing its job.

Speaking as someone who had training in both epidemiology and public health, any one who is not very afraid has not yet got an understanding of the situation. You need to read all 28 minutes worth of the link Don Noon posted some pages back. Compare what needed to be done three weeks ago what needs to be done yesterday and compare it to the awful, chaotic, piecemeal response which has so far occurred in the USA and to a slightly lesser extent in Canada and weep. New York is ready to surpass Italy. You can manufacture as many ventilators as you like, but if you have no staff to run them the shiny machines will not save any lives and meanwhile the Governor of Mississippi does NOTHING AT ALL.

Honestly, we should stick to discussing violins. Pray to the diety of your choice and hope that we all survive the next four months. 

Rant over.

21 minutes ago, MeyerFittings said:

Define Left.  Is it something left of you? Are you the norm? What is nuetral? Who gets to say what is nuetral?. If popular opinion moves one way or the other, does nuetral move also?  Do you think that your friends in Alabama are more nuetral than your friends in California?  Unquiring minds want to know.

Left is skewing the perspective to suit the views of the left.

For instance, regarding abortion: the media never refers to the “pro-life” movement. Instead they call them “anti-abortion”

A neutral news would refer to any group by their own chosen term, IE “Pro-Life.” It is good to be “Pro” something and bad to be “Anti-“ something. The left media refuses the term “pro-life” and instead uses a term with negative connotations, in an effort to direct public opinion in a particular direction.

Meanwhile the media uses “pro-choice” or “reproductive freedom” for those who desire free access to abortion, because “freedom” and “pro” have positive connotations.

whatever one thinks of the subject, those facts are undeniable, and are applicable to several other issues.

31 minutes ago, MeyerFittings said:

I don’t deny for a second that bias is non-partisan. Conservatives can be every bit as biased as liberals and equally illogical. 

But the mainstream media is dominated by liberals, many of whom made mockeries of the very idea of neutrality.