Sign in to follow this  
Don Noon

2020 Pandemic Covid-19

5 minutes ago, Potter said:

No propagandists in our current administration.

yes, they are fighting.  why are you on china's side?

8 minutes ago, Michael Szyper said:

Weren’t his words “Could be a tremendous breakthrough” or “Could be a game changer. Very powerful”? I was not all too serious about it and it was not my aim to offend you, but these words would be completely misleading to me. 

"Could be". "Could be".

That's a highly tentative expression. If English is not your first language, I can understand how you might misinterpret it.

1 minute ago, PhilipKT said:

I thought it was a tribble.

Yup, that's exactly what a friend told me on the phone last night.  :lol:

Tsk...the troubles with tribbles. It just never ends...

10 minutes ago, David Burgess said:

"Could be". "Could be".

That's a highly tentative expression. If English is not your first language, I can understand how you might misinterpret it.

Well, my English is pretty bad. I interpreted a “could be a game changer” as: “This might help”. Am I so far off?

That is what Mr. Trump was referring to (i hope...)

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0924857920300996?via%3Dihub

The control and verum groups are not randomized, not homogenous and there are plenty of severe methodical, misleading problems with this study. Absolutely nothing wrong with making such a study, but absolutely wrong citing that as a president and giving hope to people.

8 minutes ago, Michael Szyper said:

Weren’t his words “Could be a tremendous breakthrough” or “Could be a game changer. Very powerful”? I was not all too serious about it and it was not my aim to offend you, but these words would be completely misleading to me.  A quick google search is enough for the knowledge that out of the existing substances which may be effective in Covid-19 treatment the combination of those two is not any better than the other few, which all together are actually not promising. 

At the moment I observe people doing and saying mainly grotesque and irrational things which is quite normal in such a situation. Maybe you Americans are far more different than I think, but i prefer a sober and calm speech from authorities in these times.

Look, it's quite clear we live in a simulation, the entire "orangeman bad" thing is proof imo. I have never ever in my life witnessed such strangeness revolving around one man, If we are not living in a simulation, my next best guess would be that some form of "radar" or some transmission has been sent  through "tv screens" and it has literally "brainwashed" half the population.  You clearly have a preexisting negative view point, like so many others, that I find it strange that it literally seems to effect peoples ability to process information....

What part of "Could" do you not understand, just like I would ask what part of "illegal" don't you understand?

Could fyi , means maybe, might, hopefully, and a bunch of other non determined outcome phrases?  In the context it is being used it is said to instill some HOPE which is a very important thing for many people.

Just think of the illogical nature of ANY person pinning all there hopes and dreams on one guy? Orange man is the president, a man, he is not God and I think it is comical how the media has set this entire thing us as one big opportunity for a "gotcha" moment every tie the guy goes on tv.

The OMB thing, is literally the strangest anomaly I have ever encounter in my life and something is so "other worldly" about it that I can;t quite describe it.

All I can say is the level of hate directed at him by those that oppose him seems to be so "created" 

I mean your free to dislike who ever you want to, but it becomes so strange how seemingly normal people loose it when the name is uttered, literally to the point of foaming at the mouth and loosing their ability to process very simple words..  You know exactly what the word "Could" means, yet somehow when it is uttered with that guys name, you just don;t even register it's meaning. There is something VERY un-natural about it all.

19 minutes ago, Bill Merkel said:

yes, they are fighting.  why are you on china's side?

Because “our fearless leader” often resorts to jingoistism, nationalism, and racism. He is less interested in who is responsible than winding up his people and ascribing responsibility to anyone but himself for anything. My view of the guy is he would prefer our government to be more like China. Pesky elections, Congress, judiciary. When his base gets riled enough they won’t be parsing the government of China versus the people of China versus Chinese people. 

1 minute ago, Potter said:

Because “our fearless leader” often resorts to jingoistism, nationalism, and racism. He is less interested in who is responsible than winding up his people and ascribing responsibility to anyone but himself for anything. My view of the guy is he would prefer our government to be more like China. Pesky elections, Congress, judiciary. When his base gets riled enough they won’t be parsing the government of China versus the people of China versus Chinese people. 

China is a geographical location, not a race, "nationalism" has NOTHING TO DO WITH ANYTHING OTHER THAT TAKING CARE OF YOUR OWN COUNTRY FIRST. The TV media can insert "white" in there all it wants to as well as Nazi {which as a Jew I find SUPER NOT COOL} 

"ascribing responsibility to anyone but himself" this statement implies that he is responsible for the viral outbreak? in your eyes? 

Understand folks, there is something much much deeper than what is presented going on here.

13 minutes ago, jezzupe said:

Look, it's quite clear we live in a simulation, the entire "orangeman bad" thing is proof imo. I have never ever in my life witnessed such strangeness revolving around one man, If we are not living in a simulation, my next best guess would be that some form of "radar" or some transmission has been sent  through "tv screens" and it has literally "brainwashed" half the population.  You clearly have a preexisting negative view point, like so many others, that I find it strange that it literally seems to effect peoples ability to process information....

What part of "Could" do you not understand, just like I would ask what part of "illegal" don't you understand?

Could fyi , means maybe, might, hopefully, and a bunch of other non determined outcome phrases?  In the context it is being used it is said to instill some HOPE which is a very important thing for many people.

Just think of the illogical nature of ANY person pinning all there hopes and dreams on one guy? Orange man is the president, a man, he is not God and I think it is comical how the media has set this entire thing us as one big opportunity for a "gotcha" moment every tie the guy goes on tv.

The OMB thing, is literally the strangest anomaly I have ever encounter in my life and something is so "other worldly" about it that I can;t quite describe it.

All I can say is the level of hate directed at him by those that oppose him seems to be so "created" 

I mean your free to dislike who ever you want to, but it becomes so strange how seemingly normal people loose it when the name is uttered, literally to the point of foaming at the mouth and loosing their ability to process very simple words..  You know exactly what the word "Could" means, yet somehow when it is uttered with that guys name, you just don;t even register it's meaning. There is something VERY un-natural about it all.

Do you guys really not understand my problem with false hopes?

22 minutes ago, Potter said:

potter, unless you're just anti-american, do this experiment -- for two weeks use only direct channels of information.  iow, your only source of info concerning fearless leader will be fearless leaders own words, direct from fearless leader himself, and you do your own analysis of them -- with the daily press conferences it should be very easy.  make sure you don't cheat!  that might not be easy...

9 minutes ago, Michael Szyper said:

Well, my English is pretty bad. I interpreted a “could be a game changer” as: “This might help”. Am I so far off?

"This might help" is also a very tentative expression.

ten·ta·tive
/ˈten(t)ədiv/
adjective
  1. not certain or fixed; provisional; unconfirmed; unsettled; preliminary; speculative; exploratory

5 minutes ago, David Burgess said:

"This might help" is also a very tentative expression.

ten·ta·tive
/ˈten(t)ədiv/
adjective
  1. not certain or fixed; provisional; unconfirmed; unsettled; preliminary; speculative; exploratory

Why is it VERY tentative? I thought it is just “tentative”. But what do i know. 

Even the most tentative, but false claim does not help.

popcorn-and-drink-smiley-emoticon.gif.e96cc30d40a4f4b758cfd2f400f11d5e.gif   Well, here we go again.   Welcome to Maestronet mud wrestling..........  :lol:

7 minutes ago, Michael Szyper said:

Do you guys really not understand my problem with false hopes?

False hopes is one thing, why did you not put it those terms? You could have simply said "he is creating false hope"

Which is a much more logical way of putting it out there than what you wrote, imo opinion, every person on this planet at some point in time needs "false hope" particulary in the face of such great danger.

I will addmit that trying to open up by end of March is pure insanity and OVERLY HOPEFUL, again just words spoken from a man who does not understand that he, nor anyone else is in charge of this.

You are fighting what may be considered an alien creature

6 minutes ago, Michael Szyper said:

Why is it VERY tentative? I thought it is just “tentative”. But what do i know.

Because "This might help" is more tentative than  something like, "This will probably help", or "This is likely to help", or "this is almost a slam-dunk". ;)

3 minutes ago, Violadamore said:

popcorn-and-drink-smiley-emoticon.gif.e96cc30d40a4f4b758cfd2f400f11d5e.gif   Well, here we go again.   Welcome to Maestronet mud wrestling..........  :lol:

Are you implying because I've joined the conversation that it's here "WE" go again?  I find that funny when others are free to express themselves yet somehow when I'm onboard I get singled out as the trouble maker.

Quite simply I'm better at instilling cognitive dissonance than others. I make people uncomfortable when I debate them.

1 minute ago, jezzupe said:

Are you implying because I've joined the conversation that it's here "WE" go again?  I find that funny when others are free to express themselves yet somehow when I'm onboard I get singled out as the trouble maker.

Quite simply I'm better at instilling cognitive dissonance than others. I make people uncomfortable when I debate them.

Believe me, I wasn't singling you out.  :)

2 minutes ago, MeyerFittings said:

Paranoia:

when you go to a football game and you think the players in the huddle are talking about You.

"justified paranoia" based on a slew of PM messages and being told to "take it easy" repeatedly by many people, which I find comical

I simply discuss subjects in a way that seems to make people uncomfortable

I like debate, even with a dash of polite fisticuff flavouring.

As long as no one stoops to hitting below the belt or rolling in the gutter...

Edited by Rue
D*mn you autocorrect!!!

11 minutes ago, Violadamore said:

Believe me, I wasn't singling you out.  :)

Well IMO if there ever was a time to forego the rules and be able to speak freely about a non violin subject this"one time" this would be it.

Many of us might not be here within a months time, you know, that tricky little thing....death

"I don't recall anyone inviting death to the party"  :mellow::lol:

Maybe I am not realizing how much fear there is around. At least if some people call a virus an alien. I shouldn’t have chime into this thread. Visiting maestronet is so relaxing to me after a working day talking all the time about nothing but covid. And what am i doing here? - Talking about COVID. Sorry guys. Also for (hopefully not) taking hope.

2 minutes ago, Rue said:

I like debate, even with a dash of polite fisticuff flavouring.

As long as no one stops to hitting below the belt or rolling in the gutter...

That's my favorite Ramen flavor "fisticuffs" :D