Maestronet Forums

So did someone get a good deal on this bow or???

vathek

24 minutes ago, Richf said:

Well, to my amateur eye, it looked just right.  Especially when compared to this one from the most recent London Tarisio:  https://tarisio.com/auctions/auction/lot/?csid=2199126016&cpid=3652730880&filter_key= 

s-l1600.jpg

The location looks good, so I stand corrected on that, but the brand still doesn’t look right. But I’m happy to be corrected. This bow the same bow? Then I definitely stand corrected

Edited by PhilipKT

Just to be clear, the "If it's been relisted" comment refers to the "Pfretz" bow, not the "Sartory," right?  The seller of the Sartory did cancel his/her auction within hours of the initial listing, but he/she quickly reposted it with more photos in response to all questions coming in.

19 minutes ago, Richf said:

Just to be clear, the "If it's been relisted" comment refers to the "Pfretz" bow, not the "Sartory," right?  The seller of the Sartory did cancel his/her auction within hours of the initial listing, but he/she quickly reposted it with more photos in response to all questions coming in.

My “relisted comment” was about the Phretschner, Which I thought was the bow that had been relisted. 

The logic would apply to either bow, one would think that if the auction was successful and the buyer backed out, that there would be some kind of problem.

2 hours ago, PhilipKT said:

Well it seems logical that if it was a good deal, the buyer would not have backed out of it? And if the buyer didn’t have enough money to pay for it, he wouldn’t have been in on it in the first place?

That's supposition not logic.

Maybe the seller bid up their own item - doesn't mean it's no good. 

Maybe the top bidder intended to buy it but then realised that in these crisis times they might be better off keeping their cash.

19 minutes ago, martin swan said:

That's supposition not logic.

Maybe the seller bid up their own item - doesn't mean it's no good. 

Maybe the top bidder intended to buy it but then realised that in these crisis times they might be better off keeping their cash.

If we want to consider why, we have to make conclusions based on available facts. We have only one fact, that the item ended with a successful winning bid and was then relisted.

We have to use occam’s razor when making an assumption as to what happened. There are several possible reasons for the relisting. The most likely is that the buyer backed out for some reason, and the most likely-not the only, but the most likely- reason is that he decided it wasn’t a good enough deal to complete the sale.

1 hour ago, PhilipKT said:

If we want to consider why, we have to make conclusions based on available facts. We have only one fact, that the item ended with a successful winning bid and was then relisted.

We have to use occam’s razor when making an assumption as to what happened. There are several possible reasons for the relisting. The most likely is that the buyer backed out for some reason, and the most likely-not the only, but the most likely- reason is that he decided it wasn’t a good enough deal to complete the sale.

The most likely reason was that the seller was the buyer.

32 minutes ago, martin swan said:

The most likely reason was that the seller was the buyer.

Wow, well if that’s the most likely reason, then why would anybody put on anything on eBay ever? I’m not saying you’re wrong, I just would not have counted that among the most likely possibilities, Because to do that would imply that eBay sellers are more likely scoundrels then not.

1 hour ago, PhilipKT said:

Wow, well if that’s the most likely reason, then why would anybody put on anything on eBay ever? I’m not saying you’re wrong, I just would not have counted that among the most likely possibilities, Because to do that would imply that eBay sellers are more likely scoundrels then not.

It's a while since I studied Ebay but it was definitely the norm and I see no reason why that would have changed. It's an anonymous and unregulated marketplace, which condones all types of skullduggery to earn its 10% of everything.

When you say "why would anybody put anything in Ebay ever" what do you mean? Clearly things sell on Ebay, and just because someone bids up their own items doesn't mean they are rubbish (though they generally are). After all, this happens at most regular auctions too, either overtly or covertly.

Just now, martin swan said:

It's a while since I studied Ebay but it was definitely the norm and I see no reason why that would have changed. It's an anonymous and unregulated marketplace, which condones all types of skullduggery to earn its 10% of everything.

When you say "why would anybody put anything in Ebay ever" what do you mean? Clearly things sell on Ebay, and just because someone bids up their own items doesn't mean they are rubbish (though they generally are). After all, this happens at most regular auctions too, either overtly or covertly.

Oh, I was using my voice software when I posted that comment and I did not proofread it. What I meant to say was, “why would anybody bid on anything...”

The most valuable part of any transaction is trust(followed closely by location, which is why I am not a regular visitor at your shop) I don’t buy stuff on eBay, except for books or sheet music or other things that are very easily verifiable. There may be wonderful deals to be had, but I’m going to let someone else have them

On 3/27/2020 at 2:17 PM, Richf said:

I would counsel never to buy a bow without looking at every square millimetre carefully for issues, and never to risk serious money on an item where the seller doesn't accept returns.

For me this bow is not very promising - features which argue agains Sartory are the exaggerated rounding of the ferrule, the protruding large pin in the button, the lack of a very fine second collar on the button, and the fact that the frog seems to taper away from the stick at the front (a Sartory frog generally seems to climb up the stick marginally).

The brand on the other hand is very credible, so I would suspect at best a Sartory stick with replacement mounts.