jacobsaunders

Auctions in Covid19 times

So whats the verdict? I didnt think the Tariso auction did so hot especially with violas, but they always seem to do worse than NY. What about the others? Anyone have a feel? Didnt pay much attention.

3 hours ago, martin swan said:

I think if we drift too far away from violins we can reasonably expect the thread to be locked ...

I would just say that I don't think an internationally renowned orchestra in an evolved society should be firing its musicians on grounds of "force majeure".

Martin, if you’re referring to the NY Met, I don’t think the musicians are being fired. They are being furloughed for the moment. I have been furloughed: that is, I have a job, but I’ve been told to go home because there’s no work. When the crisis passes, work will resume. The musicians contracted for broadway shows have contracts, and therefore aren’t being fired either. If the employers invoke the “Act of God” clause, they don’t have to pay salary, but it is hoped they will agree to cover the amount that won’t be covered by unemployment.

Regarding the auction question, yes, there are deals to be had, because musicians without employment may have to sell their main instrument, and sell it in a hurry, which means taking a huge loss. But when things resume, who will be willing and able to buy those widgets at the pre-crisis value?

And what of the cheap modern instruments that sound quite good, making the fancy older instrument unnecessary? I adore a YouTube video of a Chinese cellist( Beijing Zhu, I think) playing Bach 6 on a 5-string cello that is merely a modified Jay Haide. Even with the modifications, I doubt that cello cost 10k.

I was going to bid on Feb Tariso auction based on recommendation from a nice member here ;). Cold feet at the last sec:( . I’m going to sit on the cash until that really special one shows up.

Now I’m really wondering when/what is the normal? How far away is that vaccine? Coz I can’t see myself sit elbow to elbow in a packed concert hall w/o vaccination. 

Edited by uva0224

I find at auction times (chiefly March and October) I start to become feverish, my eyeballs swell up and my hand trembles over the mouse. This time around it wasn't so bad, and I'm even starting to suspect I've acquired some immunity

On 3/27/2020 at 4:18 PM, PhilipKT said:

if you’re referring to the NY Met, I don’t think the musicians are being fired. They are being furloughed for the moment. I have been furloughed: that is, I have a job, but I’ve been told to go home because there’s no work. When the crisis passes, work will resume. The musicians contracted for broadway shows have contracts, and therefore aren’t being fired either. If the employers invoke the “Act of God” clause, they don’t have to pay salary, but it is hoped they will agree to cover the amount that won’t be covered by unemployment.

https://www.zerohedge.com/political/after-receiving-25-million-bailout-jfk-center-stops-paying-musicians

6 minutes ago, jacobsaunders said:

Yes, I saw that, and when I made my comment, I had not yet seen that article. I’m not sure the musicians have  grounds for a claim against the orchestra, although they might be able to insist on six weeks of severance as mentioned in the article. Even today, servants must depend upon the benevolence of their masters, and I am grateful for the generosity of the management of my orchestra. 

I believe the orchestra has a good case against the management of the Kennedy Center.  The Congress appropriated that $25 million to go to employees to help them through this crisis.  Period.  There is a Congressional panel to be convened to oversee this type of management cheating.  From our 2008 experience, it was widely anticipated that the management of big corporations would try to grab this worker relief for themselves.  Very sad to see a non-profit that has benefited so much from public and government support for its existence and operations acting the same way.

According to NPR this morning, the Kennedy Center has walked back its decision to end all pay to its orchestra members and pocket all the federal relief money.  In negotiations, orchestra has agreed to a 50% cut in salaries.  Seems to be a much more sensible solution in this environment.

1 hour ago, Richf said:

According to NPR this morning, the Kennedy Center has walked back its decision to end all pay to its orchestra members and pocket all the federal relief money.  In negotiations, orchestra has agreed to a 50% cut in salaries.  Seems to be a much more sensible solution in this environment.

So, should we go back to my original question, my American colleagues will have to live off their regular customers who have been receiving halved wages for months. I hope they didn’t max out their overdraft at the spring sales!

FWIW, hubby's favourite local auction has gone entirely on-line, but we drove to pick up his latest purchases yesterday, so they are allowing people to pick up.

But really, buying "old stuff" on-line is NOT the same as seeing it in person.  I told him to buy two pine benches (sold for cheap, less that what we would pay to DIY) to replace our current rotting wooden outdoor benches.  The 'new' benches are fine for their intended purpose, but are in worse shape than the photos indicated.  Would I have bought them if I had seen them in real life?  Dunno.

The owner of the auction house also mentioned that he's so busy with all the stuff coming in on consignment he can barely keep up.  And sales are brisk, so obviously people want to buy on-line.  He's going to have to figure out how to manage better, or he won't be able to keep going.

What's that expression about too much of a good thing?

1 hour ago, jacobsaunders said:

So, should we go back to my original question, my American colleagues will have to live off their regular customers who have been receiving halved wages for months. I hope they didn’t max out their overdraft at the spring sales!