jacobsaunders

Auctions in Covid19 times

Perhaps it’s just me, but I have the impression that there are an awful lot of auctions at the moment. Stuck in ones workshop, one gradually gets bored of scrolling through them all. Since they are mostly, due to virus, “on-line only”, it occurs to me that Keyboardclass retrospectively had a good point in the thread Jeffrey killed recently, about if the Auction houses aren’t bound by the rules for online marketers after all, re. returns and the like?

On a more pensive thought, for someone like me, who’s customers are mostly freelance musicians who are earning nothing for the moment (how long?), is it wise to buy anything? After all, my freelance musicians will, after this crisis passes, will be vastly more skint than usual, and as soon as they dare to visit will be more likely to want to sell me something than to want to buy a violin. Are the myriad auction houses being audacious, expecting us to buy all that stuff at pre virus prices, that we will probably be stuck with afterwards?

Good post, Jacob. I swore to myself years ago, after a particularly disappointing "slight grain flaw" that spiralled its way along most of the stick, that I would never again buy a bow at an online auction without having examined it in person. Nonetheless, every now and then, I get an itch to put in a bid, and I was starting to get that itch this spring, thinking that the sanitary situation will keep buyers away and might keep prices down. I generally buy high-end bows for my own collection, and cheaper bows for my students, and I won't ever buy a high end bow without examining it. Your post reminded me that my students will be totally broke after a few months without free-lance work, so they'll have trouble paying the rent, let alone re-imbursing me for fronting them on a Bazin or a Morizot, so no point in augmenting my "stock" at this time. Good luck, auction houses. 

It's the spring auction season in London but I won't be going, or bidding. I did drive to Gardiner Houlgate (in the sticks) last week but didn't get the impression that prices were down. Most lots went to on-line bidders who I guess are most unlikely to have ventured into rural Wiltshire to see what they were buying in the flesh.

The auctions are usually planned (consigned and estimated) several weeks or even months before, so they can't reflect the actual situation.

The auction houses had these scheduled befiore the virus shutdown. It will be interesting to see what happens, but I suspect prices will average out about the same.

Jacob, perhaps wondering how well dear old Dads violas will do? Well you have.an excuse if they do poorly. I like them myself.

33 minutes ago, Blank face said:

The auctions are usually planned (consigned and estimated) several weeks or even months before, so they can't reflect the actual situation.

If they can call off the Champions League and the Philharmonic subscription concerts et al, then they could call off a crumby violin auction

7 minutes ago, jacobsaunders said:

If they can call off the Champions League and the Philharmonic subscription concerts et al, then they could call off a crumby violin auction

Yeah, even the European Championships are cancelled. Would be more fun to watch in this depressing situation than an auction.

15 minutes ago, Blank face said:

Yeah, even the European Championships are cancelled. Would be more fun to watch in this depressing situation than an auction.

they could show repeats of the last Österreich v Deutschland match to keep peoples spirits up:D

16 minutes ago, jacobsaunders said:

they could show repeats of the last Österreich v Deutschland match to keep peoples spirits up:D

This one?B)

8DFD0382-2B3A-4D60-93C4-84082C2B4CDF.png

1 hour ago, deans said:

but I suspect prices will average out about the same.

They might, but I think the percent sold will be more telling.

Agreed, all of these things are potentialities in the immediate future. But I wonder if like the stock market, some folks will be buying the dip, following the current auctions.

Bidding seems a bit quiet to me at the moment having been monitoring the current auctions, although I guess everyone just comes in at the last moment. 

I do wonder if there might be a spike in instruments for sale after this all recovers as musicians feel the pressure of having lost so much work. 

Very sad times. 

I think it's mendacious to suggest that the auction houses are being audacious :lol:

All of these auctions were planned well before the virus outbreak, and the auctioneers also have financial obligations, dependents, employees, business rates to pay - a nail-biting time for them with viewings cancelled, consignors withdrawing items etc.

Many consignors will have put things into auction because they need money.

This is a global car crash and everyone is a passenger. The only helpful/sane thing one can do is to try to promote a "business as usual" agenda wherever possible.

20 minutes ago, martin swan said:

This is a global car crash and everyone is a passenger. The only helpful/sane thing one can do is to try to promote a "business as usual" agenda wherever possible.

Words of wisdom.

1 hour ago, martin swan said:

promote a "business as usual" agenda wherever possible.

If no musician is able to buy an instrument in the foreseeable future due to lack of any money, after all, they are not Boeing or the like and don't ge a "bail out", you will get a crinkly mouth buying up stock at the Easter sales as if nothing had happened.

11 hours ago, Blank face said:

And over here we’ve lost baseball… What a tragedy.

I think the real question isn’t what’s going on now, but how well things change permanently going forward. I Make my living playing, but how many people will come back to the live shows? And I teach, but how many people will decide they want lessons in person, instead of trading the effectiveness of live lessons for the convenience and safety of FaceTime?

And how many people will decide there’s no need to bother with lessons at all?

9 hours ago, jacobsaunders said:

after all, they are not Boeing or the like and don't ge a "bail out",

Actually in Germany they are planning to spend 40 billions for supporting small business, freelancers, musicians and other artists. Now Germany is in a relative comfortable economical situation, the question is how long furthermore.

We can only hope that this time, unlike as in 2008, governments will realize that a bail out for the small economy is just as necessary as for big players.

On 3/19/2020 at 12:20 PM, deans said:

Jacob, perhaps wondering how well dear old Dads violas will do? Well you have.an excuse if they do poorly. I like them myself.

Unfortunately I didn't get to play either of your dad's violas.  One stayed in Wales and I just couldn't stomach Brompton's.

1 hour ago, keyboardclass said:

Unfortunately I didn't get to play either of your dad's violas.  One stayed in Wales and I just couldn't stomach Brompton's.

You could have driven all the way to Wales, and tried it out with rubber gloves onB)

23 minutes ago, jacobsaunders said:

You could have driven all the way to Wales, and tried it out with rubber gloves onB)

Funny enough I usually go to Amati's Welsh preview but I travel from Bath (where I'm not this week).  I can recomend it as a lovely day out. 

On 3/19/2020 at 5:40 PM, martin swan said:

aaaaa! my legs are broken!  i can see my guts!  where's my arm!  would you like a violin?!?

This was supposed to be a serious thread about the projected economic implications for the violin trade, which Martin thinks will go back to normal, and I think could be devastating, so keep your guts to yourself please, or Jeffrey will kill this thread too