Sign in to follow this  
arielle123

more info on karl hofner

ÖHi I am a fairly new to violin and I chanced upon violins by Karl Hofner. I tried finding information about it but it seems like there isn't much info on it. Hoping to tap on this to learn more about their violins, quality etc.

I am actually looking to purchase a "vintage" karl hofner made in 1997. Not sure if anyone could advise if this is suitable for beginner (or more advanced player), and if the sound/quality is good. Thanks a lot in advance!

20200310_225619.jpg

20200310_225556.jpg

1997_karl_hfner_7_44_violin_1448759641_afef4f71.jpg

20200314_145030.jpg

Edited by arielle123
uploading better photos

This is a reasonable instrument for a beginner if it is well set up.  A luthier could tell you if it is, or an experienced player could try it and see if it feels comfortable.

Since I haven't heard it, I cannot comment on the sound quality.

17 hours ago, arielle123 said:

violins by Karl Hofner. I tried finding information about it but it seems like there isn't much info on it. 

Höfner is spelt with an umlaut on the "O" i.e Höfner.not Hofner. If you dont have an "O" with an umlaut on (Ö) on, your keyboard, you should try puting "Hoefner" into your search engine. Their main claim to fame is making Paul MacCartney's bass guitar 

The 80ies Höfner Cello my Music School has is a genuinly terrible Instrument. The Sound isn't that ugly, but it is built lika tank (very thick plates, very heavy) and Sounds muted. A characteristic of such Instruments is that it feels to an advanced Player as if you don't really manage to grab the string with the bow. As weight doesn't give a different Kind of Sound, it is very bad to learn to Play the Cello on such an Instrument.