Sign in to follow this  
MANFIO

Coronavirus and its impact on the art world.

22 hours ago, Fossil Ledges said:

Hey, I was a government psychologist, lower your expectations! 

Oh, and here's another memorable example of the species:                      :D

Of course, we all know how how that came out.............

Oh, and BTW..........

:lol:

Hmm...*bwahaha* 

Since we don't have access to anything as new-fangled as Netflix...

We started watching Fear the Walking Dead, Season 4...:blink:

1 hour ago, l33tplaya said:

Just a Gagliano or even a Rocca, please. :-) 

See? We all have our big ticket items planned! :D

I didn't think Jacob would want a violin, not sure why I'm thinking that...

3 hours ago, Fossil Ledges said:

Maybe? I was thinking about the original Bladerunner opening scene.

That's great, thanks for the edification and the interesting post! I defer to you of course, perhaps I should fall on a sword or something. I am not terribly proficient with posting video.

1 hour ago, Violadamore said:

Oh, and here's another memorable example of the species:                      :D

Of course, we all know how how that came out.............

Oh, and BTW..........

:lol:

Silberman is the real deal stereotype. Too many years in the public sector, too few skills and too creepy! Also the warden "in Silence of the Lambs". Fairly accurate.

43 minutes ago, Fossil Ledges said:

Silberman is the real deal stereotype. Too many years in the public sector, too few skills and too creepy! Also the warden "in Silence of the Lambs". Fairly accurate.

Points if you can find a psychologist joke I have not heard. Hmm.. let's see, I could practice, I could remove the top on that Baroque cello I went to Pennsylvania for last week. Better yet, I could get some photos first and share them on MN to see if anyone knows who made it...Or I could sit on the couch, watch Netflix and eat junk food.

Faceplant.jpg

Sure...you have Netflix...:(

...okay...I'm off to see yet another zombie get a knife thrust through its soft decaying skull...:wacko:

15 hours ago, GeorgeH said:

Where did you get this idea?

Because less virulent (infective) mutations are in competition with the more virulent original form and lose the Darwinian struggle. However I suppose it's conceivable that a less deadly mutation might just survive in spite of lower virulence, since it gets to hang around and infect other hosts for a longer period. I could be making this up

6 minutes ago, matesic said:

However I suppose it's conceivable that a less deadly mutation might just survive in spite of lower virulence, since it gets to hang around and infect other hosts for a longer period.

Viruses that don't kill or disable their hosts have an evolutionary advantage over those that do, so an infectious virus that mutates to be less virulent has a reproductive advantage over its more virulent ancestors.

Covid-19 actually isn't all that deadly as compared with ebola for example which is too deadly for its own good. There must be a trade-off between virulence and deadliness. I think

In general, new (to our species) infectious organisms tend to become more benign over time. A virus "wants" to reproduce in lots of people and if it kills them, then there are fewer people to reproduce in. This decrease in pathogenicity occurs over a period of years so no comfort there. However, that's not to say that the various control measures in place across the globe won't put pressure on it to mutate into something truly scary in the meantime.

People have talked about the possibility there's no herd immunity. I'm not sure they've fully grasped the enormity of that statement. In order to get herd immunity, you need at least some form of immunity in individuals. If there is none, and no herd immunity, then nearly 100% of the population will get it. And of the 99% that survive, they'll get it again. And again and again. The virus will die out when the human population has declined to a density which cannot support the virus or over the years it evolves and becomes less dangerous. But well before then, we'll all be back in the Middle Ages. And vaccines won't save us as immunity will not be possible (I'm ignoring possible intermediate scenarios here).

I don't think this will happen....we develop at least some immunity to other human coronaviruses and that will probably be enough to protect us from a reinfection that will kill and also allow vaccine development (no certainty about it though). So we have to proceed with the assumption that herd immunity exists.

On 3/16/2020 at 3:21 PM, Fossil Ledges said:

Maybe? I was thinking about the original Bladerunner opening scene.

Bladerunner? Or “Do androids dream of electric sheep”?

On 3/16/2020 at 6:20 PM, Rue said:

Hmm...*bwahaha* 

Since we don't have access to anything as new-fangled as Netflix...

We started watching Fear the Walking Dead, Season 4...:blink:

My wife and I are watching a new Korean drama, called “kingdom“. It’s a pretty typical political power struggle set in old Korea, except this time, there’s zombies. Lots of zombies. The king is a zombie, but the queen is trying to keep him officially alive until she has a baby so she can usurp the throne from the legitimate crown prince And, did I say there’s zombies? Including the King is a zombie? Plus there’s lots of heads being cut off with samurai swords.

Joe Bob says check it out…

Thanks! I will make a note! I'm already kinda zombied out though...and we're only on the 2nd disc..

Now, as lovely as this is...how are they social distancing, or being in a small group, or not being non-compliant with the various curtails? 

https://www.zmescience.com/other/art-other/classical-music-free-self-isolation-0652643/amp/

photo-1519683109079-d5f539e1542f.jpg

11 hours ago, PhilipKT said:

My wife and I are watching a new Korean drama, called “kingdom“. It’s a pretty typical political power struggle set in old Korea, except this time, there’s zombies. Lots of zombies. The king is a zombie, but the queen is trying to keep him officially alive until she has a baby so she can usurp the throne from the legitimate crown prince And, did I say there’s zombies? Including the King is a zombie? Plus there’s lots of heads being cut off with samurai swords.

Joe Bob says check it out…

I am Korean and tend to stay away from K-drama.  You say the King is a zombie?  The queen is copulating with a zombie?  Gross.

On 3/16/2020 at 10:33 PM, Rue said:

Sure...you have Netflix...:(

...okay...I'm off to see yet another zombie get a knife thrust through its soft decaying skull...:wacko:

There's nuthin' on anyway. It's time for me to have the smallest bit of discipline and get working in the shop!

1 hour ago, violinnewb said:

I am Korean and tend to stay away from K-drama.  You say the King is a zombie?  The queen is copulating with a zombie?  Gross.

No the queen isn’t copulating with the king( that’s nasty)She is already pregnant, And if she can have her baby before the king dies, her baby will be next in line for the throne, but if the king dies before her baby is born then the crown prince will be the king and she and her family will lose all their power.  So the race is to have the baby before the kings true condition is known, and until then you’ve got to fake the king being alive. We’ve seen three episodes so far and it’s interesting and a little scary. 

I think it’s on Netflix. I’m not especially a fan of zombies, but if you’re a zombie fan, it is an interesting twist on the typical tale.

34 minutes ago, PhilipKT said:

No the queen isn’t copulating with the king( that’s nasty)She is already pregnant, And if she can have her baby before the king dies, her baby will be next in line for the throne, but if the king dies before her baby is born then the crown prince will be the king and she and her family will lose all their power.  So the race is to have the baby before the kings true condition is known, and until then you’ve got to fake the king being alive. We’ve seen three episodes so far and it’s interesting and a little scary. 

I think it’s on Netflix. I’m not especially a fan of zombies, but if you’re a zombie fan, it is an interesting twist on the typical tale.

Ok.  This sounds really interesting.  I will start wtaching.

23 minutes ago, violinnewb said:

By the way, these are not American zombies, when they animate, they are all Olympic athletes. they can run down a horse. in one of the scenes last night a bunch of soldiers on horseback is running away from the zombies, and the zombies run them down. 

Remember rule number one from zombieland:

CARDIO

25 minutes ago, violinnewb said:

BTW, if you like Korean drama, possibly the single best show I have ever watched in any language is called W: A Tale Of Two Worlds, a riveting story about a Manwha writer who creates a world where the characters switch back and forth between the Manwha world and the real one. It is logical, spiritual( the Manwha writer insists he is the god of his world so he can do whatever he wants with the characters)quite scary, and incredibly beautiful and sad. The final scene of the series made me cry. I loved it, and I think an American treatment of the story would ruin it.

its a great great show.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/W_(TV_series)

43 minutes ago, PhilipKT said:

By the way, these are not American zombies, when they animate, they are all Olympic athletes. they can run down a horse. in one of the scenes last night a bunch of soldiers on horseback is running away from the zombies, and the zombies run them down. 

Remember rule number one from zombieland:

CARDIO

Those zombies just don't make sense. :ph34r:  How can you move THAT fast with decayed muscles?  Think of the energy required, that you're obviously not producing, even if you're eating brains on a regular basis.  Brains aren't a high-energy source.

43 minutes ago, Rue said:

Those zombies just don't make sense. :ph34r:  How can you move THAT fast with decayed muscles?  Think of the energy required, that you're obviously not producing, even if you're eating brains on a regular basis.  Brains aren't a high-energy source.

Ummmm once you’ve accepted zombies, it is but a wee step to assuming that brains are excellent nutrition for the Zombie-on-the-go.

plus, brains are organic! No MSG!