Sign in to follow this  
MANFIO

Coronavirus and its impact on the art world.

1 minute ago, Blank face said:

Factually nobody knows if there will be anything working like “ herd immunity” reg. this particular virus, and how long an immunity will protect an individual.

This was a sort of irresponsible (to say the least) idea of the Johnson government, in the meantime cancelled due to the warnings of all serious epedemigolists. The only thing to do now is avoiding an infection, if not for yourself than to save others. Beware of all unconfirmed rumors going around in the internet or elsewhere.

Your first statement is certainly valid but short of a vaccine I think naturally acquired "herd immunity" is the only thing that's going to eradicate the bug, in fact it's almost the definition of what eradicates a bug (I am winging this a bit, but so is everyone). Effectively corralling off those you want to protect as we're now proposing to do, half-cock as ever, ultimately won't be any more effective than physically corralling the infected area as in China. People are eventually going to come out and come together again and the virus won't have gone away until it can't find anyone left it can infect.

43 minutes ago, matesic said:

Your first statement is certainly valid but short of a vaccine I think naturally acquired "herd immunity" is the only thing that's going to eradicate the bug, in fact it's almost the definition of what eradicates a bug (I am winging this a bit, but so is everyone).

Would be fine if it would work this way, but seriously we might have to accept that this is a speculative hope only. Depends of many factors, obviously the main is the time duration of individual immunity. Maybe we have to accept that it is more than a temporary challenge and can affect social interactions for a long period.

2 hours ago, l33tplaya said:

...........Boris............moral............

Non sequitur.    :rolleyes:

Aspf3BL.jpg

:lol:

9 hours ago, jezzupe said:

So,... how do you feel about that? :lol:

"My Mother?, Let me tell you about my mother".  -extra points if you can name the movie.

10 minutes ago, Fossil Ledges said:

"My Mother?, Let me tell you about my mother".  -extra points if you can name the movie.

[shoots Holden]  :P

5 hours ago, matesic said:

Virus mutation is not what we have to hope for! Essentially, we (the "herd") have to catch it in sufficient numbers but not all at once, so it can't spread any more or come back to give us another bite.

Actually, there are two ways a virus can mutate and one of them is in the direction of being less lethal and less contagious. I would point to the Spanish flu that seems to by all accounts have "mutated"itself out of existence.

So you hope for what you want, I would like it to just go away in whatever way it chooses 

17 minutes ago, Fossil Ledges said:

I suppose in the long run it's all just tears in the rain

In regards to COVID-19 and its global effects on all life, not just arts, I think it wise to live to fight another day.  Humans are masters at rebuilding.  We are resilient.

As it pertains to the arts...I know that this might sound sacrilegious relative to some of my comments regarding honoring the classics and the institutions of classical music...but perhaps this pandemic is our chance to really bridge that generational/technological gap and try online productions.  My church, and several other churches around the U.S. began live-streaming worship using a skeleton crew.  I vaguely remember an internet orchestra on youtube supported by the LSO.  If we are forced to stay at home, might as well practice, post, listen and watch from the safety of our homes?  

Lastly, even if anyone here is a medical doctor, or some medical professional, I'm not really sure debating the science of medicine and the technicalities of coronavirus in Maestronet.com is really productive.   

Productive?  Probably not,  but I think we need to discuss issues during crises, so I think it's a good thing.  And, by discussing, we continue to learn - hopefully we are triggered to look the issue up further, beyond chit-chat on what is essentially a hobby forum (with apologies to those who make their living from stringed instruments).

For up-to-date and factual information, refer to legitimate sources such as the WHO, your National Health Board and then your local Health Authority.

On another forum, the COVID-19 thread was shut down after some members decided other members shouldn't have opinions...and when THAT opinion was challenged, they started telling everyone to *f* themselves and hoped that they'd "succumb" to the virus.  Very mature.

14 minutes ago, Rue said:

Productive?  Probably not,  but I think we need to discuss issues during crises, so I think it's a good thing.  And, by discussing, we continue to learn - hopefully we are triggered to look the issue up further, beyond chit-chat on what is essentially a hobby forum (with apologies to those who make their living from stringed instruments).

For up-to-date and factual information, refer to legitimate sources such as the WHO, your National Health Board and then your local Health Authority.

On another forum, the COVID-19 thread was shut down after some members decided other members shouldn't have opinions...and when THAT opinion was challenged, they started telling everyone to *f* themselves and hoped that they'd "succumb" to the virus.  Very mature.

It is not the issue of whether it should be discussed.  The issue is that in this forum, as well as many others, we have "internet warriors" who think that they are experts in all things beyond music, as well as within the forum topics.  Misinformation and interpretations of misinformation is dangerous.  I love this forum, but I have been hesitant in posting often because of a few select individuals who seem to know everything.  I understand that this occurs everywhere, but by limiting threads and issues to the actual topic at hand, it can eliminate some unnecessary drama.  Am I wrong?

1 hour ago, jezzupe said:

Actually, there are two ways a virus can mutate and one of them is in the direction of being less lethal and less contagious. I would point to the Spanish flu that seems to by all accounts have "mutated"itself out of existence.

So you hope for what you want, I would like it to just go away in whatever way it chooses 

I'm no expert but it's good to get things straight. As you say, viruses mutate in random ways all the time, not en masse but individually, and mutated viruses won't multiply to any significant degree unless they're equally or more virulent than the original form. The latter will continue to be the vast majority and infect and multiply as long as it can find susceptible hosts. So we can't expect an inert or self-destructive mutation to save the day any time soon.

11 minutes ago, violinnewb said:

It is not the issue of whether it should be discussed.  The issue is that in this forum, as well as many others, we have "internet warriors" who think that they are experts in all things beyond music, as well as within the forum topics.  Misinformation and interpretations of misinformation is dangerous.  I love this forum, but I have been hesitant in posting often because of a few select individuals who seem to know everything.  I understand that this occurs everywhere, but by limiting threads and issues to the actual topic at hand, it can eliminate some unnecessary drama.  Am I wrong?

I honestly don't know.

It's great to keep things on track, and to that end MN has no official 'chit-chat' section.  We just deviate within topics...^_^

Chit-chat sections on other forums are often much busier than the on-topic sections.

Many of us come to these forums for both topic and chit-chat.   In the other forum there seem to be many older posters, in their 80s.  It gives them, and everyone a chance to be still be part of a community with like interests and therefore less isolated (or at least feeling less isolated).

Is there an answer as to how best handle it?

55 minutes ago, matesic said:

mutated viruses won't multiply to any significant degree unless they're equally or more virulent than the original form

Where did you get this idea?

3 hours ago, violinnewb said:

OMG this is so funny!  And....I feel so old for understanding the reference...

That's the best!

4 hours ago, Violadamore said:

[shoots Holden]  :P

Maybe? I was thinking about the original Bladerunner opening scene.

50 minutes ago, Fossil Ledges said:

Maybe? I was thinking about the original Bladerunner opening scene.

Me too, but you obviously aren't nerdy enough, https://movies.stackexchange.com/questions/75746/what-specifically-happened-when-holden-was-killed-in-blade-runner

;):lol:

20 hours ago, Fossil Ledges said:

Hey, I was a government psychologist, lower your expectations! 

What I don’t understand is that I sit here in closed down Austria. Everything is shut and one is “discouraged” from visiting anyone. People are far too scared shitless to go out anyway (should solve the paper problem), and nobody comes around to visit. The government though reduces the interest rate to nothing, and prints lots of money to jazz up the economy. What use is that? I couldn’t spend any money if I wanted too, ‘cos everything is shut.

4 hours ago, crazy jane said:

image.png.0a409efaccca71db6ef4d9d694f77f08.png

Like!!  :lol:

4 hours ago, violinnewb said:

OMG this is so funny!  And....I feel so old for understanding the reference...

Nah, not old, just more experienced.  :)............

enhance

7 minutes ago, jacobsaunders said:

What I don’t understand is that I sit here in closed down Austria. Everything is shut and one is “discouraged” from visiting anyone. People are far too scared shitless to go out anyway (should solve the paper problem), and nobody comes around to visit. The government though reduces the interest rate to nothing, and prints lots of money to jazz up the economy. What use is that? I couldn’t spend any money if I wanted too, ‘cos everything is shut.

Oh crap, why'd you have to mention money and debt?   I can hear Jezzupe scampering back to lecture us about it all......  :lol:

9 minutes ago, jacobsaunders said:

You can save up for a Big Purchase when this  has all settled! 

Porsche? A chalet in the Alps? A pair of Testoris? A diamond diadem? So many options to chose from!

41 minutes ago, Rue said:

You can save up for a Big Purchase when this  has all settled! 

Porsche? A chalet in the Alps? A pair of Testoris? A diamond diadem? So many options to chose from!

Just a Gagliano or even a Rocca, please. :-) 

I just wanted to remind everybody that music is a healing thing. People are stressed out & anxious right now.  If you can share your music with others, it can really help. Remember the celllist in Sarajevo?

Of course you need to be smart, and not create situations where people cluster together to hear you. That balcony singing the Italians are doing looks pretty good.