Maestronet Forums

All the auction houses ...

twcellist

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 3/9/2020 at 2:09 AM, twcellist said:

Doesn't seem like they really sell anything of significance these days?

The problem is that we do sell some pretty remarkable instruments (see below for a stunning Ceruti coming up in our March sale), but we never highlight the instruments we have sold after the auctions.

We have found that most of our buyers prefer not to leave a stonking great digital footprint and that putting up banners announcing how well we did really isn't in the interest of our buyers. It's a juggle, perhaps one we need to look at in the future, but given we have an auction pretty much every month, selling some fairly splendid instruments amidst the (admittedly) less splendid ones, we seem to be getting it right somewhere.

I hope. 

IMG_19.thumb.jpeg.9da12e5a3e6f48cd45b117e375c9aec0.jpeg

Oh dear Lord, don't pull me in on this one. I do think we might have dealt with it differently perhaps.

On another note, the sun is shining and hopefully frying all the Chinese Bat Flu critters around, I have finished going through our bows, and hopefully I will see some of you reprobates at the view. @jacobsaunders, I have one of your father's violas in the sale, but did he ever varnish internally or has somebody decided to get creative? As the bridge is also varnished, I suspect it is the latter... and that should definitely go in the condition report.

Off to pick up my girls from school. Look after yourselves chaps, and if at the view, grab me for a drink. I may need one by then.

Best wishes, James

20 minutes ago, jamesbuchanan said:

. @jacobsaunders, I have one of your father's violas in the sale, but did he ever varnish internally or has somebody decided to get creative? As the bridge is also varnished, I suspect it is the latter... and that should definitely go in the condition report.

To the best of my knowledge he never varnished internally. If you give me the date and number of the viola, I could look it up in his log book though, to be sure.

54 minutes ago, jamesbuchanan said:

Different viola (different auction house), but thanks Jacob - that's what I thought. It's number 136 (made in 1992). Special commission - but can't remember for whom.

I was up in Nottingham fairly recently. Posh was the first word that came to mind - obvs.

Viola #136 had the name “Gioachino”, goodness knows why, and was sold to a Mrs. Lees. There is no note of any treatment to the inside, therefore it didn’t have any. What will you write on the “condition report” for keyboardclass, “some jerk has wrecked it, otherwise good condition”?