Sign in to follow this  
Jul

New violin

6 minutes ago, Fossil Ledges said:

Every kid should learn, ie: be appropriately trained, to replace strings, set up a bridge and cut a sound post. They can be the envy of all their friends in the student orchestra!

Yup, and it might even impel them toward a STEM career instead of becoming just another mendacious marketing weasel who's helpless when the copy machine jams.  :lol:

My son is a stock broker who specializes in mendacious market weaseling. I regularly challenge him to write the ultimate fiddle auction algorithm, taking into account all conspiracy theories, Deep Web violin cryto-currencies, and copy machine jams.

On 3/9/2020 at 8:16 PM, Al Cramer said:

Delabo posted:

That's kind of what I was wondering about in my post. Up until 20 years ago, if you wanted a fiddle, you'd go to whatever pawnshops/music stores/violin shops/maker's workshops you knew about and buy something (or trade your Fender tube amp for somebody else's violin, which is how I got into strings). Nowadays, if you don't have much money, you have to work thru the net. If you have some experience with violins you can maybe find something that looks promising and it can be a win, though it's always a gamble. 

But for setup -- especially soundposts -- I don't see how this net stuff can really work. I don't doubt that maestros like David Burgess can set the post perfectly and ship the thing with strings slacked 2 whole steps down and it all works out, but when we buy stuff off ebay or reverb.com, that's not who we're dealing with. 

When my cello was sent to me by the maker, in June 2006, not only was it shipped with the sound post up, but it arrived in Tune.

The shipping cello case was enormous , but it did its job very well

4 minutes ago, PhilipKT said:

When my cello was sent to me by the maker, in June 2006, not only was it shipped with the sound post up, but it arrived in Tune.

The shipping cello case was enormous , but it did its job very well

1024px-Lockheed_C-5_Galaxy_loading_135.j

Something like this?  :ph34r::lol:

This idea that players should be able to carve bridges and set soundposts  is interesting. I always thought it curious that people who play double reed instruments are expected to learn how to make their own reeds, but people who play violins aren't expected to fit their own bridges.  (My own experience has been: it took me a long time to learn how to carve an ok bridge. It took me twice as long to learn how to reed my Scottish small-pipes, and I was never able to make an Uilllean pipe reed that played a full 2 octaves).

2 minutes ago, Al Cramer said:

but people who play violins aren't expected to fit their own bridges.

A poorly-made reed won't damage the instrument. Poorly-fit bridges and poorly-fit sound posts can seriously damage violins. I think it is work better left to skilled and experienced professionals who do it on a daily basis than trying to learn to do it oneself and then only do it on an occasional basis. 

Why risk a multi-thousand dollar instrument with a do-it-yourselfer job?

GeorgeH, I totally agree. If I owned a multi-thousand dollar instrument, I'd be terrified of tinkering with it. I'd be terrified to even play it! (Have played some instruments like that belonged to other people. They were quite nice, though in a few cases I thought the set-up seemed a bit dodgy).

I don’t carve my own bridges because I don’t want a crappy looking acoustically poor bridge on my violin.  Having someone who has cut countless bridges in their lifetime work one up for you is worth the cost in my humble opinion.

I took some time today to take some pics from the inside of the violin. They are obtained from a poor man endoscope, so, please forgive the rather limited quality of the pics.I notice the large amount of what looks like glue around the f-holes. Not sure that this is ok.

I mostly liked the pics of the bass bar. Comments (and critics) are welcome.

pic_003.jpg

pic_004.jpg

pic_005.jpg

pic_007.jpg

pic_008.jpg

pic_009.jpg

pic_011.jpg

pic_012.jpg

pic_013.jpg

pic_016.jpg

pic_017.jpg

On 3/11/2020 at 4:38 PM, Violadamore said:

Yup, and it might even impel them toward a STEM career instead of becoming just another mendacious marketing weasel who's helpless when the copy machine jams.  :lol:

The very first string I ever replaced, I broke, because I frankly didn’t know when to stop tightening. Even now, however, I cannot set a sound post. I would not consider that basic knowledge, although changing strings, adjusting and setting a bridge, yes of course.

6 hours ago, PhilipKT said:

The very first string I ever replaced, I broke, because I frankly didn’t know when to stop tightening. Even now, however, I cannot set a sound post. I would not consider that basic knowledge, although changing strings, adjusting and setting a bridge, yes of course.

Being able to retrieve and reset a fallen sound post is a tremendously useful violin skill.  [Short corrosive rant about how silly it looks when some highly educated and paid professional gets stalled in their tracks by simple equipment failures omitted.] :P:lol:

2 hours ago, Violadamore said:

Being able to retrieve and reset a fallen sound post is a tremendously useful violin skill. 

Yeah, and that's what the string on the soundpost is there for, anyway. :) 

On 3/11/2020 at 5:29 PM, Fossil Ledges said:

Every kid should learn, ie: be appropriately trained, to replace strings, set up a bridge and cut a sound post. They can be the envy of all their friends in the student orchestra! 

i strongly disagree unless they don't give a hoot what they sound like.  to the op -- be glad the post was down.  it forced you to take it to a luthier who used his years of experience to make one and put it in an optimum place, hopefully.  the things you're looking for and finding, forget about them and use it as a violin.  if you overpaid, it being flawless inside and out wouldn't help you.  if you didn't overpay, the same thing won't hurt you

thanks Mark, Thanks Bill,

Actually the luthier made a new sound post and put it in place. She also recarved the Aubert bridge. I saw that she essentially removed some wood at  the "knees" (just above the feet)

Now my daugther complains... because it is too loud . chicks :blink:

Edited by Jul