Nik Kyklo

Guarneri 'Heifetz, David' - setup question

Hello. Except Biddulph's book (that I do not have because of the price) I cannot find any measurements or 1:1 pictures of Heifetz's Guarneri. The Strad had a photo - poster without measurements but as I see it is long out of print. I would like to know if someone knows the : String length, afterlength, stop length and nut's lenght. The setup I refer is the following:https://tarisio.com/cozio-archive/property/?ID=40097  I think the color photo is from Biddulph's book. Also, if anyone knows where I could purchase poster or something on normal price about that violin, I would be glad to hear.

Thank you

Is it true...?  A piece of gossip I heard was that Perlman was to perform a concert on this violin,  but he refused unless a new neck was fitted to it.   I was appalled that a museum would allow such a thing.

So did that happen?   And if so,  it would be pointless to ask about setup details.

I've heard that story too. But from what I thought Heifitz had the neck thinned in an unusual way. Many instruments of this age have  had many necks. But still, you want to minimize any work on instruments like this.

Perhaps someone else knows this story. I may have it mixed up.

Given that Heifetz was somewhat regarded as a violinist,  it would be interesting to preserve any information  about his playing or need for a "special neck."

Is there a reason you want to know the details you've asked for (since the neck has probably been replaced more than once and possibly relatively recently)? Just curious.

One thing I can offer (from my notes) is the stop length (I measured a bit over 19.2 cm on the treble side... I believe it listed right at 19.2 in the Biddulph book, but I believe they were using calipers and I used a tape over the arch).  

The neck feels normal/full, so if Heifetz had if thinned when he used it, there may certainly be something to the story that Rene replaced it.  If that's so, I would guess little to nothing about the setup is exactly how Heifetz had it.

Same with the nut (looked normal) and measures 5.5 mm at the base in the Biddulph book... so I'd figure that's about right.

I think the only way you'll get an accurate string length and an after-length measurement is to ask Roland (who takes care of it when it's not being used) or wait until another of us nerds have their mitts on it. The photo in the Biddulph book does not include the full neck, and the after length appears longer than I recall it being the last time I saw it.

I found this clipping you may find interesting.

The Legion of Honor said they didn't know why Heifetz bequeathed the museum the violin.

I have my own theory on that. His entry point into the U.S. in his early teens was through the S.F. Golden gate.  The museum is located very close to the opening of the Bay, just S.W. of the bridge. This would be the place he would first glimpse his new home, America.

the david-2.jpg

Edited by Swing Monkey 1
Word mispelling

On 3/9/2020 at 8:20 PM, Jeffrey Holmes said:

Is there a reason you want to know the details you've asked for (since the neck has probably been replaced more than once and possibly relatively recently)? Just curious.

Thank you very much for your help. Sorry for my delayed answer. Corona virus here in Europe changes all our plans. I was curious about Heifetz's setup preferences, but as I see is a bit difficult to find details. It is interesting to find a prolonged afterlength on some Guarneri, like David or Leduc. Also, I see that there are nut's deferences  (this one in contrast to Canon - about 4mm the bone one). 

Hello Nik,

The Peter Biddulph book say : length of back : 354mm, upper bouts : 165mm, middle bouts : 114mm and lower bouts : 205mm.

How much would you be willing to put in Bidduph's book?

Best.

SC

On 3/7/2020 at 2:01 PM, Nik Kyklo said:

Thank you for your replies. Maybe someone that has 1:1 photo someway can measure approximately (as it can be measured by photo).

Seeing as how you have access to a large resolution photo, you could just scale that photo to 1:1 yourself and take your own approximate measurements.  
Here, I've gone through the trouble for you..  although I had to shrink it down for the upload.  The afterlength does look rather long at 59.3
HeifetzStringLength.thumb.jpg.8f008f2613a77a78b9a17406d759e199.jpg

6 hours ago, DoorMouse said:

Here, I've gone through the trouble for you..  although I had to shrink it down for the upload.  The afterlength does look rather long at 59.3

I am grateful for your job and I give my thanks. Afterlength really looks long enough. On purpose or by mistake? By the time the violin was in the museum, the (tailpiece s) gut would be more possible to elongate. In contrast here, tailpiece remains low and tailpiece s saddle looks to have greater distance from the edge, than normal.