Sign in to follow this  
PhilipKT

DuPre was to music as Monroe was to film

^according to findagrave it says this:

"CA ПОНОCОM И ЉУБABЉУ ОД CPПCKOГ НАРОДА

MIT STOLZ UND LIEBE VOM SERBISCHEN VOLK

REPUBLIC OF SERBIA - MINISTRY FOR DIASPORA"

Geniuses (and intense artists/musicians) aren't like other people, particularly when they're married to one another

10 hours ago, Bill Merkel said:

^according to findagrave it says this:

"CA ПОНОCОM И ЉУБABЉУ ОД CPПCKOГ НАРОДА

MIT STOLZ UND LIEBE VOM SERBISCHEN VOLK

REPUBLIC OF SERBIA - MINISTRY FOR DIASPORA"

A state marker? Not even "beloved mother"?

3 hours ago, matesic said:

Geniuses (and intense artists/musicians) aren't like other people, particularly when they're married to one another

At least the Einstein cousins didn't have kids. Not that it can't turn out, just the odds ain't great...

Just an FYI, when my family was helping my grandparents prepare for their future, part of purchasing a burial plot as a couple involved choosing amongst some standard gravestone writings.  They simply chose "beloved [insert spouse designation]" because to list children, etc, would just make it look too busy.  

Perhaps Barenboim and DuPre did this as well?  Who knows?  

I don't necessarily agree with how either party behaved towards the sanctity of marriage, but like I said, I choose to be tolerant of the times and celebrate DuPre's musical legacy.  It is good that we discuss these things but her musical legacy should not be overlooked.

What exactly was her musical legacy?  

And I'm not being facetious.  She was an excellent, passionate player. Was there more?

24 minutes ago, Rue said:

What exactly was her musical legacy?  

And I'm not being facetious.  She was an excellent, passionate player. Was there more?

Does there need to be more? Just kidding.

To me, DuPre brought about a little bit of "rock and roll" to classical music.  She was part of an era that brought upon some notable musicians and her passion kind of rose above many.  That is just my opinion.  

So she broke the mold a bit?  Moved away from a rigid, pre-prescribed performance into something more open?  

In the UK she taught and/or inspired a whole generation of fine cellists - Alexander Baillie, Colin Carr, Robert Cohen, Steven Isserlis, Tim Hugh, Raphael Wallfish, Julian Lloyd Webber are the ones that spring to mind, and (I think it fair to say) became a role model for aspiring female players. Unfortunately violinists didn't proliferate or thrive nearly as well! 

I don’t give a flip about DuPre being a woman in a world of men(she certainly wasn’t the only one) or about who she studied with or who she taught. For me, the only thing that matters is that despite the quality of the recording equipment available, and the deterioration of my own hearing apparatus, there was an element to her sound that no one else has or had. Kirshbaum comes closest, and I hear it in a few Rostropovich recordings, but for DuPre, every note she played had a unique sound I’ve never heard. I hate the Elgar, but if I have to choose one, I choose hers.

There was something about Monroe: something appealing beyond mere physical attraction. There are lots of “sexy” or “alluring” women, but none was Monroe.

That’s why I made the comparison.

Regarding Barenboim and that silly “hair” comment: I looked up another video, and found an awful video of the two of them. The camera was focused on Barenboim, from a distance of about 6 inches, while DuPre was in the distant background. The camera focused mostly on Barenboim’s face and if we cared to look past his-apparently-magnificent aquiline profile, we could see DuPre in the blurry background, playing the sonata of the moment... which is a CELLO sonata.. for CELLO.

And yes, her hair was long and wild, just a bit like Janis Joplin... but who wants to emulate Janis Joplin? I certainly wouldn't even have noticed, back in my earlier days, and I certainly don’t care now.

55 minutes ago, Rue said:

A role model! :D

How can you doubt it? The events that some people regard as unsavoury didn't become public until after her death, and in any case are irrelevant to her musical legacy.

Of course.  The two are separate...sort of...^_^

Now...why exactly are we hating on Janis Joplin?  Another mentally-fragile musical artist?  Because of her hair?

OT:  Am I the only person who keeps mixing up Janis Joplin, Joan Baez and Joni Mitchell?

I know who each is...and that they were all born around the same time...but I have to make a point of mentally sorting the three out every time I hear any of the three names...

Maybe it's because they all have 2-syllable first names starting with J...

3 hours ago, matesic said:

How can you doubt it? The events that some people regard as unsavoury didn't become public until after her death, and in any case are irrelevant to her musical legacy.

Well if you’re talking about Barenboim’s affair, he was very open about it and everybody knew. Regarding the other stuff, I’m still not aware of it now, but it doesn’t change the fact that he was and is an ass, and her sound was and remains otherworldly

3 hours ago, Rue said:

OT:  Am I the only person who keeps mixing up Janis Joplin, Joan Baez and Joni Mitchell?

I know who each is...and that they were all born around the same time...but I have to make a point of mentally sorting the three out every time I hear any of the three names...

Maybe it's because they all have 2-syllable first names starting with J...

How is “Joan” two syllables?

Have I been saying it wrong all these years?

3 hours ago, Rue said:

Of course.  The two are separate...sort of...^_^

Now...why exactly are we hating on Janis Joplin?  Another mentally-fragile musical artist?  Because of her hair?

I’m not hating on Janis( Although whatever value there was in her music completely escapes me) but I hardly think she is a worthwhile role model for anybody, and if Jacqueline let her hair down, in the literal sense, I don’t think she was doing it because she was participating in any protest movement.

1 hour ago, PhilipKT said:

How is “Joan” two syllables?

Have I been saying it wrong all these years?

Hmmm...you're right. Probably was thinking Joanie (and then Joni)...

Their last names all have 2 syllables though! I double-checked!