Maestronet Forums

As much as I love fiddles..

David Burgess

There is an Old Gentleman here in town that plays makes and repairs horns. Years ago I did the fiddle repair work for his shop.

He made a 4 valve trombone that is stunning to look at, and listen to from my perception there is no room for mistakes in that sort of work, where as in violin making, hiding all the mistakes is the one of hardest part of the job. The materials are completely different, those metal horns  are so shiny!

Love to hear a sweet trumpet,,,,

...you could always offer your services for a back rub! :ph34r::P^_^

Er, to both of them of course...

Seriously though, there is something very majestic about trumpet :wub:

...except when you are seated inches from them in concert...and your ears start to bleed...:angry:

...and yeah! That goes for you too - four french horns!!!

Played trumpet growing up.  Turned down music scholarship to college because afternoon rehearsals conflicted with engineering labs.  A few recommendations

Best active performer Alisom Balsom:   https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGCGRYnK8HBjsl5Kowex0JQ

Favorite from recent past Wynton Marsalis:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gu2f_-01BdE

Gets my vote for GOAT.  Gave up classical music for NY jazz scene many years ago.

Dearly departed Maurice Andre:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLDF8OeD-hc

He and Marsalis would probably vote for each other  as GOAT

2 hours ago, Rue said:

...you could always offer your services for a back rub! :ph34r::P^_^

Er, to both of them of course...

Seriously though, there is something very majestic about trumpet :wub:

...except when you are seated inches from them in concert...and your ears start to bleed...:angry:

...and yeah! That goes for you too - four french horns!!!

I remember being very awkwardly seated at a concert. The musicians were on risers, and immediately behind me was the lead trumpet. The bell of his trumpet was literally three or 4 inches from the back of my head. It was so close that when he played I could feel the air from the bell, and the sound hit the back of my head like the a hammer. He kept apologizing to me, but it was still one of the most miserable at concerts of my experience.

Edited by PhilipKT

7 hours ago, David Burgess said:

As much as I love fiddles, enough so to have made them my lifetime pursuit, I still really love high trumpet in combination with a pipe organ.

Always reminds me of Handel and the Queen of England. I think we could step it up a notch with some Marshal distortion mixed in there :)

Emmanuel with a pretty girl violinist was kind of a boilerplate piece for Chris Botti. Here's another one with a different girl, but the same overdone physical "passion."

I wonder why they chose to use pickups on the solo violins, instead of clip-on mics?

And why did you post this in the Pegbox, David? Is it because that's the only place around here that anyone looks, or so it sometimes seems?

7 hours ago, MarkBouquet said:

And why did you post this in the Pegbox, David? Is it because that's the only place around here that anyone looks, or so it sometimes seems?

Isn't it more likely that the trumpeter has a niece named Peg, than a name resembling any of the other sub-forum titles? :D

(A terrifying look into the inner-workings of Dave's mind) :lol:

It appears a violin works well with one microphone attached if it is accompanying a trumpet.  The high frequency sounds of a violin go off in all different directions as narrow beams.  Each note has various combinations of these beams which gives the music interesting changes in sound color.  A violin with a microphone doesn't produce this affect and its lower frequency harmonics are emphasized.

The trumpet's sound output is unidirectional out of the bell so a microphone positioned there captures the sound character accurately.

I would expect the frequency response curves of the two instruments would be similar.

It would be an interesting music experiment to have the same music duet played with an acoustic violin and an oboe to see if adding the high frequency stuff adds or subtracts from the appeal.  It's always helpful to keep other variables constant in these type of experiments so I would keep the same black dress and black tie and coat.

8 hours ago, David Burgess said:

Would I like them just as much if they were wearing jeans and a T-shirt and sitting in a chair? You betcha!

I'd like them better if they dumped the pickup and amplification. Sounds like the cheapo synthesizer we had in junior high music class.