Maestronet Forums

Custom violin, worth anything?

LuigiMyViolin

Hi, I found an ad for this custom violin on craigslist. I wanted opinions on how nice this looks. I am considering taking a look at it and I want to see what ya'll think about it. could it be nice or does it look like a piece of junk? obviously the person who posted the ad doesn't know anything about violins. There is no information about the violin in the ad. The bridge looks like it needs some help. I am a student and looking for a violin upgrade and this violin caught my eye.

here are pics of the instrument. btw, this is just from the craigslist ad, I haven't actually seen the instrument in person yet. I'm just wondering if it's worth taking a look at.

00303_aVngtgFX41S_600x450.jpg

00T0T_e7EV3gipCQe_600x450.jpg

00b0b_6vRLlbznHZ3_600x450.jpg

Edited by LuigiMyViolin

Yes, it's worth something.  It's a new Chinese violin that looks like it's in excellent condition, but it's impossible to tell how well set up it is.  The carving on the back is rather gaudy sales gimmick.  The only way you can determine if it's the violin for you is to try it.

It's pretty, if you like the carving.

Otherwise, for playability, you'd have to try it. And, if it shows potential, it might benefit from a tweaked set-up, new strings, etc.

Worthwhile going to try it if you are willing to assess it beyond the visuals...

Okay, going to take a look at it today. Owner said it's been sitting on a shelf for 4 years and never played. They bought it for their daughter and she decided not to play so it's just been sitting. Might be a little hard to tell how nice it sounds without some adjusting. We will see. I actually don't really like the dragon on the back, I don't care about aesthetics, I'm just looking for a good sound. It is only up for $225, so if sounds good and I like it, I'll bring home.

So, we talked the lady down to $150 (which she was still happy with cause it was just sitting under a bed and wasn't being played). It has absolutely HORRIBLE strings on it, the bridge needs to be adjusted and the bow is junk, but the violin itself actually has a very rich tone. When I played it, even though the strings were brittle and buzzing, I could still tell the violin itself had a very rich and resonate tone. I can hardly imagine what it's gonna sound like with nice strings, a nice bow and a properly fitted bridge.

Edited by LuigiMyViolin

3 hours ago, Wood Butcher said:

I have only seen violins with heavily carved backs a few times, but was always struck by how much heavier they felt, than a standard violin. I guess to leave enough wood for the carving, the back is much thicker, and therefore stiffer than normal.

When I played them, the sound was pretty disappointing.

Way to kill the moment! :lol: