Maestronet Forums

Worst set up and or violinist in a movie

Alex l. Reza

As I Understand it, in order to act on screen you have to join the actors union. If you want to play music on screen you must join the musicians union. So any actor who is competently playing a musical instrument, and is by definition a musician, must be a member of two unions. On the other hand if you are an actor, and a completely incompetent fool when it comes to making music, you only need to be a member of one union.

I was very much looking forward to watching the movie about Martin Marais called “Tout Du Matins Du Monde” is something like that. In English “All the mornings of the world”. I was so disgusted that not one of the people in the movie was even holding the gamba correctly that I stopped watching.

the star was Some French actor I can’t remember his name( Gerard depardieu?)and his playing was so inept that when he “played” the camera would do a close-up on his face swaying back and forth in the most insincere emotional display I ever saw. It was appalling.

I want real musicians playing real music. I don’t want them to have to join another union, but that’s just a scam, and it is difficult to escape scams.

Edited by PhilipKT

I beg to correct PhilipKT's post. Certainly in the UK it is not necessary to be a member of any union to appear on screen as an 'extra'. I took part in a short TV series as a musician extra. They wanted to film people who knew how to play, and filmed us. They did not record the sound but, instead, used the sound of a professional group  of musicians. So there is no excuse for showing people who don't know one end of a violin from the other.

16 minutes ago, geoff1954 said:

I beg to correct PhilipKT's post. Certainly in the UK it is not necessary to be a member of any union to appear on screen as an 'extra'. I took part in a short TV series as a musician extra. They wanted to film people who knew how to play, and filmed us. They did not record the sound but, instead, used the sound of a professional group  of musicians. So there is no excuse for showing people who don't know one end of a violin from the other.

The people I mentioned are not extras, but leads.

In the US, A random string quartet playing in the background of a wedding scene would not be affected at all: they are indeed extras, possibly “skilled extras”

i was in the movie “Necessary Roughness” as a tuba player in the marching band and was paid $75 per day for two days as a “skilled extra” but I didn’t have to join anything( probably because Texas is a right to work state) although I was already a member of the musicians union. If the movie is about musicians, and the musicians are really playing/singing it would probably apply to them.

Case in point, Joseph Gordon Levitt’s character on the TV show “third rock from the sun” was in a band during one storyline, and he wrote and sang a song for one episode, and in the interview regarding that episode he said, “I got to join ASCAP!”

Well, he HAD to Join ASCAP.