Sign in to follow this  
violins88

Corona virus in Cremona

1 hour ago, David Burgess said:

You might be mistaken about some aspects of health insurance in the US. 

Expecting to get to grips with a contagious epidemic, where one may be infected by any despicable unworthy uninsured person, or even by a violin maker, is surely impossible without a universal health care system, just as anyone who drives a car will need third party insurance. Appointing a brain amputee (Pence) to pray for you, whilst criticising China seems a pretty puerile way of going about things.

1 hour ago, Michael Szyper said:

The main difference is that the general insurance makes contracts with physicians resulting in significantly lower prices for the insurance compared to a regular price.

Are you speaking of Germany, or the US?  If you are speaking of Germany,  medical insurance companies in the US also negotiate prices, usually involving huge discounts.

Since you are in the medical field, I can understand how negotiated discounts might not adequately reflect your real value. While some people might assume that "a physician is a physician", or that "a luthier is a luthier",  or that "a violinist is a violinist", I suspect that both of us realize that there can be huge differences in outcomes.

48 minutes ago, Michael Szyper said:

Yes you are pretty much correct, besides that there is a maximum of 800 Euros (50 % of that is to be paid by the employer). 
The main difference is that the general insurance makes contracts with physicians resulting in significantly lower prices for the insurance compared to a regular price.

After all, I am not at all satisfied with the german insurance system (especially as a physician!) , but I have no good idea how to improve it without making it more expensive.

To be precise, the whole percentage is about 16-17,5 (incld. home care/Pflegeversicherung). The employer is paying roughly the half, but freelancers (like me) are paying full percentage. That's quite something I'm not really satisfied with.

Following the WP essay being linked before   https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/worries-about-medical-bills-and-lost-pay-may-hamper-coronavirus-efforts-in-the-united-states/2020/03/02/75825be0-5c9c-11ea-9055-5fa12981bbbf_story.html

a big difference to the US system is that there are no "cheap versions" making poorer people pay for certain therapies, for example tests reg. Flu or Corona, and getting into debts due to this. All people in the public insurance can expect to be treated and medicated equally to the best standards possible.

Back in 1979/80 (from memory) when I was a teenager looking for a job, I had a few possibilities (getting a job was easier back then). One of them was at Bein & Fushi in Chicago. A friend of a friend of a friend of my father sent me a copy of his B & F contract. If one worked there, after several months, and having consistently achieved the required productivity points, they would pay for your health insurance, as if they were doing you a favour. Rather than that, I got myself a job at Möller in Amsterdam, which fell through a couple of days before I was supposed to start, upon which I finished up with a job in Munich, where I had health insurance from the very first second as a mater of course. I wondered what B & F did with anyone who fell ill, send them back to England in a box?

3 hours ago, jezzupe said:

And I will shut up, because I am well aware of how it works here, but lets be real and clear, I'm being shut up not because I'm talking about something other than violins, it's because you and others don't like what I'm talking about.

Hey Jezzepe; You were not the only one I was "Talkin' too".  :)

8 minutes ago, jacobsaunders said:

I finished up with a job in Munich, where I had health insurance from the very first second as a mater of course

So you will get a bit of German Rente, too, when you'll be 67. Maybe not much, but to buy some beer and Pizza.;)

5 minutes ago, Blank face said:

So you will get a bit of German Rente, too, when you'll be 67. Maybe not much, but to buy some beer and Pizza.;)

'Fraid not, after a couple of years in Austria, I had the Germans pay my pension out, since I was no longer in Germany (not possible anymore) and used the money to start my own shop in Austria

Just now, jacobsaunders said:

'Fraid not, after a couple of years in Austria, I had the Germans pay my pension out, since I was no longer in Germany (not possible anymore) and used the money to start my own shop in Austria

No!  The Germans' kicked you out of all of Germany?

What did you do?  Insult frikadellen?

12 minutes ago, jacobsaunders said:

Back in 1979/80 (from memory) when I was a teenager looking for a job, I had a few possibilities (getting a job was easier back then). One of them was at Bein & Fushi in Chicago. A friend of a friend of a friend of my father sent me a copy of his B & F contract. If one worked there, after several months, and having consistently achieved the required productivity points, they would pay for your health insurance, as if they were doing you a favour.

Yes, getting a high-level job was easier back then. I too was solicited by Bein and Fushi.

Before Jeffrey shuts this down...:ph34r:

I think our Global response has been pretty ineffectual, even though they're obviously trying.

What if this really was something we hadn't seen/experienced before in any form?  Think Zombie Apocalypse (any zombie theory will do).  Remember all those scenes of over-run hospitals and dead health care workers?

And even as it is, with this still being a 'mild' virus as far as these things go,  and one that is mostly an issue with the elderly and those with health complications, what's going to happen in places such as Africa, where the population is suffering from malnutrition and the health facilities are inadequate?

And - staying on the violin topic.  In a zombie apocalypse, the ability to make and sell violins will be severely compromised.:mellow:

31 minutes ago, jacobsaunders said:

Do you aspire to be a ripoff artist, or what? Plundering funds from Germany to live in Austria, prior to the loopholes being closed?

West Germany has done a mighty-fine job of re-incorporating East Germany, though not without hardship, and some jokes. Humor can be helpful during challenging times. :)

2 hours ago, Jeffrey Holmes said:

Passing information based on personal experience or concern for a colleague around doesn't bother me.  Trying to uncover the "truth" concerning this issue presents a thread I can't moderate effectively... and strays too far from the purpose of this board.  Add in politics and it turns toxic.

Jeffrey,

thanks for your skill and patience. You are good at this. You are a patient man.

9 minutes ago, violins88 said:

Jeffrey,

thanks for your skill and patience. You are good at this. You are a patient man.

1 minute ago, JohnCockburn said:

Hear, hear.

...../ )
.....' /
---' (_____
......... ((__)
..... _ ((___)
....... -'((__)
--.___((_)

Again, race of the person is not the point or reason that I posted the first article about it. AGAIN it is about a "non" mainstream "news" organization "perhaps" "maybe" "seems" to have INFORMATION about patient 0 before "legacy"media sources.

again, I m not a racist, have no clue why after repeatedly explaining that , that for some reason that seems to be the main point ,I could careless if the guy was a Irish Leprechaun.

the point is that they think they found patient 0 , and that regardless of the guys race, it came from not mainstream sources first.

AND i WOULD BE THE FIRST TO ADMITT that I would be wrong if I am wrong....I sorry the same for me as it is for you or anyone....unless an event happens in front of your eyes EVERYTHING is just "news" , shall we get into "historical "facts" ?

How do I know my mom is my mom? I mean she just told me she was, I can;t really prove it

so really just lay off the jezzupe is racist crap, I removed the link, apologized for posting it, and assuming we just remove that one, there are the others, what about those?, I mean it's not like I'm going around posting article stating that these are 100% the truth....I am posting articles about the post subject that I am finding...it will be up to everyone to determine if it is true of not 

I just want to know what the truth is and see no harm in discussing what  is "out there" as far as POTENTIAL information about any of this.

If its bs it will pan out as such, if its not it won't

so really just lay off the jezzupe is racist crap,

No one was suggesting for one moment that you were racist.

I was referring to the  news article that appeared to be inflammatory and you innocently linked to it.

I live in Europe and a new word has been coined here "Sinophobia" (anti - Chinese sentiment). It is especially prevalent in Italy at the moment and is in danger of spreading globally.

43 minutes ago, David Burgess said:

Do you aspire to be a ripoff artist, or what? Plundering funds from Germany to live in Austria, prior to the loopholes being closed?

West Germany has done a mighty-fine job of re-incorporating East Germany, though not without hardship, and some jokes. Humor can be helpful during challenging times. :)

They can incorporate East Germany if they want, None of my business

12 minutes ago, jacobsaunders said:

They can incorporate East Germany if they want, None of my business

Since you have claimed that you used pension funds from Germany  to set up your business in Austria, why is what happens in Germany none of your business?

21 minutes ago, David Burgess said:

Since you have claimed that you used pension funds from Germany  to set up your business in Austria, why is it none of your business?

The purpose of paying out the pension funds abroad in the 1980s was to get rid off the so called Gastarbeiter. Didn't work right, because most of them preferred to stay there where they had spend most of their life and helped to establish a wealthy economy. So it was good for establishing a successful shop in Austria at least.

What you called re-incorporating a dysfunctional economy with millions of pensioniables who never paid a cent for the funds made this payments impossible. But to discuss this further will right lead into really toxic topics.

49 minutes ago, jacobsaunders said:

because it isn't

If the German system, from which you received your pension is none of your business, then why have you opined about the health care system in the US, which you appear to know little-to-nothing about?

Possibly the most idiotic maestronet thread ever, and that's not a low hurdle.

When West Germany “re-incorporated” (a singularly politically incorrect way of putting it) East Germany, I got a strange letter from Mr. Weidler of Nürnburg. He wrote, “I have to pay for the re-union too”, and put the prices of his spikes and cello tail pieces up significantly. I thought “sod off and pay for your reunion yourself” and have never bought anything there ever again.

This is a truly remarkable virus.  It seems to cause dementia without physical contact.  :huh::lol:

Kudos and sympathy to Jeffrey.  :)