Sign in to follow this  
Lex Luthor

What do you think is this an 1890 German violin

After trialing 10 violins for my daughter; 3 JTL's, 1 Steiner copy, 1 Klotz copy, 1 Saxony, 1 Klingenthal, 1 Chinese and a Yamaha V10. 

We decided on this Germsn violin  estimated 1890 with a single back. It has a lovely warm tone and resonates very well, it has no label. It has a slight gap at the rib near tail peg. Is this repairable by a luthier? Also any idea if this is German and what region.

She also selected a Dorfler 15 bow which sounds great on this violin. 

Thanks for previous post information. 

20200227_211001.jpg

20200227_211019.jpg

20200227_210932.jpg

20200227_210907.jpg

20200227_210943.jpg

If you are Talking about what appears to be the back separating from the end block, it definitely needs to be repaired in short order. I would take the tension off the strings immediately, until you can get it to a luthier. It's not an expensive repair (20-50 bucks), and left unattended will cause distortion of the ribs, and continue to separate. To check and see if it actually a separation, try to gently insert something like a single edge razor blade in the opening. It will go in if the seam is open.  

the gut tailgut makes me think maybe it hasn't seen a doctor in a long time, so it needs a physical.  i'm a player not a fixer and i can say that playability is paramount for your daughter to be able to progress.  the luthier needs to be super good, like a surgeon needs to be super good, whether the patient is a peon or aunt angela

Hello Lex Luthor, I would have the violin repaired by a luthier and there are a couple of other things that should be checked. Yes, have the tailgut replaced with a standard nylon "Sacconi"; or, you could simply go for a Wittner tailpiece that comes with nylon cord and integrated fine-tuners.

the spacing of the strings at the bridge seems too wide from the pictures you posted. It should be around 33 mm from G to E. strings also seem off-center by looking at the fingerboard, and the height of strings at the upper nut looks a bit too high. In general, you could have the luthier rework the violin set-up for better playability. They would probably prefer to make a new bridge and this is right because most of the times reworking a bridge does not make for the best results.

Thanks Giovani, thats exactly what my Luthier told me. He is fixing the rib, new bridge, adjusting the nut  changing tail peg and tail piece and a new set of Dominant strings. 

I think this violin deserves the much needed repair and service

If that violin came from a violin shop, those things should have been already attended too?