Sign in to follow this  
T.Young

New Strings

I just changed out the strings on my violin the other day. I got online and looked around for a good, affordable set that I could get on amazon, and I settled on getting the D'Addario HelicoreLIGHT TENSION strings, with the aluminum wound E.

As of right now, the G sounds good until I try to play higher than a B or a C, then it sounds like it can't quite get the sound out.

The same goes for the D string. The sound is there, it just sounds like it is wrapped in memory foam. I would not call myself a good violinist, so I don't have much to play to "play-in" the new strings.

Maybe that could be my problem?

Should I have acquired medium tension strings, or heavy? The original strings I had on it were Thomastic Dominants, medium tension.

Edited by T.Young

Generally I haven’t found the lights to provide the gusto required for most instruments. 

In the shop where I’m working right now we either go with Helicore Heavy or Evah Prazis as the go to on our instruments depending on what the instrument seems to like and also whether it is likely to be for fiddle or classical. (Up until the last two or three years all of the serious fiddlers in the area have tended towards the Helicore Heavys)

I would say that mediums (or heavies depending on your instrument) would likely solve your issue. 

9 hours ago, T.Young said:

I just changed out the strings on my violin the other day. I got online and looked around for a good, affordable set that I could get on amazon, and I settled on getting the D'Addario HelicoreLIGHT TENSION strings, with the aluminum wound E.

As of right now, the G sounds good until I try to play higher than a B or a C, then it sounds like it can't quite get the sound out.

The same goes for the D string. The sound is there, it just sounds like it is wrapped in memory foam. I would not call myself a good violinist, so I don't have much to play to "play-in" the new strings.

Maybe that could be my problem?

Should I have acquired medium tension strings, or heavy? The original strings I had on it were Thomastic Dominants, medium tension.

If you want low price strings that are like Dominants, I had good luck with the Fiddlerman strings that are meant to be Dominant copies. https://fiddlershop.com/products/fiddlerman-violin-string-set

1 hour ago, Shunyata said:

Try Evah Gold for a string that speaks well everywhere. (or Obligato if you want lower tension, but the color is darker).

Evah Golds are excellent strings but definetly don’t fall under the OP’s afordable mention. 

personal opinion, but I don't love the sound I get from those strings, Dom's or Warchal for me, I'm all up for good stuff that is cheap and works, but strings are one thing I've never found that spending less helps. good string tone is just too important in the equation.

I think I would say, if given two sets of strings, and of the two one sounds 'better' even if it's a "little" better,imo it's worth paying double if that's what it takes to get that little bit extra.

Bad tone is like a bad haircut, it's worth going out of your way to avoid. 

Why risk buying from Amazon when a good string shop will match the price and give you qualified advice?

...and be always available to assist you on your onward playing journey!

Light strings are only ever fitted for specific reasons, so depending on the instrument, Dominant mediums would be a better choice

Don't judge any decent set of strings until you have broken them in and they are holding their pitch (staying in-tune).

Personally, I am not a fan of Helicores. My go-to metal core strings are Prims, but I don't use metal core strings on any violins that I play, but fiddlers seem to like them a lot.

I don't use these myself, but I've put them on a few instruments that I've set up for classical student use. They're made by Thomastik, and resemble Dominants, but are a fraction of the cost. Seemed to sound ok, if you like how Dominants play.

Screenshot_20200225-061111_Samsung Internet.jpg

Regarding the cost of Evah Gold... they easily last twice as long as other strings.  With heavy playing, I get 5-6 months out of them - and even then they sound good enough to put on one of my beater violins.

False economy is no economy at all.

I agree with Marty. In my limited experience with them, the Ascente strings seem to be pretty good. I also set up with Helicore mediums, and I really get good results with Zyex.

Have used Alphayue, they do seem to stretch for several days before stabilizing.  Not bad though.  I thought they sounded better than the Ascente, but I didn't try many sets of those.  Corelli New Crystal is still my fav go-to student string, and if I'm in a playful mood, then John Pearse Artiste is an interesting $20 string set.

I dont think there's any problem. Just that Dominants and Helicores are very different (at least to me).  Keep playing and see if you get used to them. If not, then move back to Doms, or just try something else.

Welcome to one of the violin money pits, dozens of string choices, some you will like, some you will hate.