Maestronet Forums

Sound Post Technique

Shunyata

Evan has said it all. On every single other forum I participate in, this whole thread would have been disappeared long ago. EVERY FORUM. Condolences to Jeff, who has to be the only one dealing with this problem and has to make choices I wouldn't want to make (Some will remember when I shared moderator duties with him, and the blowup that caused because the dim-witted children had to run the playground). And condolences to those of you Evan spoke of who think they are normal.

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Michael Darnton said:

I think one's perception of this place must have to do with the people you normally hang around with. I have to say that in terms of personal behavior this forum is by far the worst of any I participate in, which is many,  and that is why I'm often not here. I see that quite a number of previous valuable participants have taken the same path, so you might think about the people Jessupe is so proud of having run out of town, and what that says about him.

:lol: "Proud" that's hilarious, but coming from you, the truly sanctimonious one here, I don't find it surprising. Yes we all know your skill level but we also know your "personality".and your air of superiority 

That being said I was simply pointing out the way it works here, that the "regulars" and or the "democratic mob rules" and now that it's been brought up in some kind of way, by you, which is attacking my character for pointing out the obvious I guess we'll discuss it some more to try to clarify for you

In my 13 years here there have been 2 people who have been run out of town, that being Lyndon and Otter, the only two I can recall, and they were removed for basically 2 reasons, 1. repeatedly being annoying and irksome to people here on the board and 2. going out of there way to contact people who visit this forum outside of the forum either by phone or email....ME BEING ONE OF THOSE PEOPLE WHO WAS BEING CONTACTED.

So my PERSONAL experience of being VIOLATED BY STRANGERS is perhaps more "personal" to me than you, and that there is no pride in "running people out of town" who suffer from mental illness. 

However I'm not going to not point out the fact that "you" who ever you are "subject" to the way it works around , here, which is basically, repeatedly act like an idiot, eventually get kicked out.

I don't have pride in "removing" anyone, but I do have "pride" for this group, the one that you feel is so "beneath you" , and was simply pointing out that "the regulars" here are a group of people who I would defend when it comes to some "new"person coming in and "telling us how it should be"

So in your short statement and attempt at degrading me and my character, all you have really done is expose your disdain for me and the group here , what did you call it "the worst you participate in" ? yes

SO do yourself a favor and go away,... again,... because "we" don't need you here, particularly if you don't want to be, and think, in your sanctimonious way that we are "the worst" 

Really why are you here if you think it's "the worst" ?

One thing I will say is that I moved away from "violin world" FOR JUST THIS VERY REASON, I have come to find that for whatever reason there is a HIGH level of emotional and mental illness in the world of violin, and Michael if you think I get pleasure from "running off" mentally ill people I'd say that you have absolutely no idea what you talking about and you don't know me and therefore I would tell you to shut up, you stupid retard

:lol:, sorry ,there I go again making fun of the handicapped.

21 hours ago, jezzupe said:

Forums are not democracies , they are dictatorships, and in the past "we've" {the collective} had to gang up on people and run them out of town so to speak...

Actually, it is sort of a democratic community; if someone gets out of hand and enough members complain,  it appears the individual is warned and given some opportunity to correct their behavior.  Should they refuse to comply with the forum rules, they get voted off the island.

I have to say, I find it interesting how a discussion can shift from one topic to another, and it's often an interesting / elucidating / entertaining thread, but this discussion over a simple soundpost driven into the mud is certainly in bad taste.

29 minutes ago, Michael Darnton said:

Evan has said it all. On every single other forum I participate in, this whole thread would have been disappeared long ago. EVERY FORUM. Condolences to Jeff, who has to be the only one dealing with this problem and has to make choices I wouldn't want to make (Some will remember when I shared moderator duties with him, and the blowup that caused because the dim-witted children had to run the playground). And condolences to those of you Evan spoke of who think they are normal.

you must think you were on your robot forum 

7 minutes ago, Bill Yacey said:

Actually, it is sort of a democratic community; if someone gets out of hand and enough members complain,  it appears the individual is warned and given some opportunity to correct their behavior.  Should they refuse to comply with the forum rules, they get voted off the island.

I have to say, I find it interesting how a discussion can shift from one topic to another, and it's often an interesting / elucidating / entertaining thread, but this discussion over a simple soundpost driven into the mud is certainly in bad taste.

Lets put it this way, the dictators, Ghunt and Jeffery are "benevolent" dictators who allow the subjects {that being us} to have some form of self governance, that is generally allowed to "go" {the thing that Michael hates and should be removed according to him} and or they allow us to work out our own problems by ourselves for the most part {Jeffereys light hand} BUT at any moment in time, if we the natives get "out of control" , they , the dictators can lay down the heavenly mandate and "evaporate" any one of us they want to if they want to.

again, forums are used BY HUMANS and therefore there will always be tangents.

21 minutes ago, jezzupe said:

SO do yourself a favor and go away,... again,... because "we" don't need you here, particularly if you don't want to be, and think, in your sanctimonious way that we are "the worst" 

Really why are you here if you think it's "the worst" ?

I dunno, I appreciate the alternate views and methods from other members on this forum.

If my quip about Errol Flynn and penis enlargement (a phrase which is not exactly uncommon on the internet) is what people feel has lowered the tone of the forum, then I would suggest you actually read it. It wasn't demeaning to anyone, and personally I find it bizarre to be held hostage by the mock outrage of trolls with no manners.

What stimulated the joke (if it was indeed a joke) was an attempt to draw the thread away from the bizarre Beckett play that is Uncle Duke and Morgana exchanging wisdoms about soundpost placement.

Maestronet is a very broad church. I like that aspect of it - I think the pub analogy is a good one. There is a pub landlord who can send people outside if they get a bit rowdy, and generally it's not a good idea to bring children or people with extreme sensitivities. There are participants here who are living in a parallel universe, but there are many parallel universes and if you don't like it you can ignore it.

I do agree with jezzupe that it's very uncomfortable having disputatious or trouble-seeking members getting in touch privately - it's happened to me with 3 people. If that behaviour gets aggressive or threatening then I think that's definitely grounds for removal - though that was never the case with Lyndon. He just had more of an appetite for communication than I did.

2 minutes ago, jezzupe said:

BUT at any moment in time, if we the natives get "out of control" , they , the dictators can lay down the heavenly mandate and "evaporate" any one of us they want to if they want to.

again, forums are used BY HUMANS and therefore there will always be tangents.

Every member is made aware of the forum rules when they sign up. It's their choice whether they abide by them, or not. Based on this, if they choose not to abide by the rules, they are essentially dismissing themselves from the community.

1 minute ago, Bill Yacey said:

I dunno, I appreciate the alternate views and methods from other members on this forum.

I do too, and hope he stays and fights, but he's the one saying how horrible "we"/me are and that this place is the "worst ever" and so if it's that bad man, by all means step off.

I know what Michael wants, total decorum, but I don't think its a very fun place to be and I think everyone knows that and so I think we and particularly Jeffery does a great job at letting humans be humans 

1 minute ago, martin swan said:

If my quip about Errol Flynn and penis enlargement (a phrase which is not exactly uncommon on the internet) is what people feel has lowered the tone of the forum, then I would suggest you actually read it. It wasn't demeaning to anyone, and personally I find it bizarre to be held hostage by the mock outrage of trolls with no manners.

What stimulated the joke (if it was indeed a joke) was an attempt to draw the thread away from the bizarre Beckett play that is Uncle Duke and Morgana exchanging wisdoms about soundpost placement.

Maestronet is a very broad church. I like that aspect of it - I think the pub analogy is a good one. There is a pub landlord who can send people outside if they get a bit rowdy, and generally it's not a good idea to bring children or people with extreme sensitivities. There are participants here who are living in a parallel universe, but there are many parallel universes and if you don't like it you can ignore it.

I do agree with jezzupe that it's very uncomfortable having disputatious or trouble-seeking members getting in touch privately - it's happened to me with 3 people. If that behaviour gets aggressive or threatening then I think that's definitely grounds for removal - though that was never the case with Lyndon. He just had more of an appetite for communication than I did.

It;s the problem with "outrage culture" these people have been molded by the media and they don't even know it. 

And for what it's worth I really did love Lyndon and tried to help him out with his self proclaimed emotional problems, I spent many hours in total on the phone with him trying to help him out, mostly by just trying to be a friend to him. Shortly after being removed from here he did fade away from calling me, which in a way I was glad, because we all only have "so much " charity time our lives, but I never hated him and was sad to see that he could not "get a grip" enough to be able to remain here.

7 minutes ago, Bill Yacey said:

Every member is made aware of the forum rules when they sign up. It's their choice whether they abide by them, or not. Based on this, if they choose not to abide by the rules, they are essentially dismissing themselves from the community.

Yes, but then again it is always up to the discretion of the mods and owners, and therefore making it a "nice dictatorship" which is just the way it should be.

1 hour ago, VicM said:

I do not think we should encourage towards bad language but we should set better example. I can not comment on your Fater but he was not on the Internet for all World to read. Also I am sure his bad language in private was not around children.

First off, that was not my Father, but my Father's Father. Second, he used "bad" language around anyone, including my Father when he was a child. Continued to use it when I visited him at the nursing home, where he spent his last few years.

One of my Dad's pivotal moments was when his Dad looked out the front window one morning, and said, "You mean I can see a god-damned church steeple from my front window?"

I would not have taken it the way my Dad did. His Dad had been  through some rough times, including the depression, and making one or two trips to the gold-mining fields in Alaska, since that seemed to be a good opportunity at the time. I would rather take it as a humorous comment from one who had experienced many aspects of life.

26 minutes ago, jezzupe said:

:lol: "Proud" that's hilarious, but coming from you, the truly sanctimonious one here, I don't find it surprising. Yes we all know your skill level but we also know your "personality".and your air of superiority

Jezz,, Really!

I find the no nonsense attitude refreshing, I have never met nor talked to the man, but my perceptions are completely different than yours, I hear experience speaking that jells enough with my own observations that I wouldn't dismiss any thing with out careful consideration and a few honest questions first.

If I had the time and funds I'd love to attend the south cal workshops just because, do I need to,,, absolutely not,, not a chance, but I know it would be fantastic.

Sure I could jump in and defend some things some times, as people attack but what the heck, he's a tough boy,, don't believe any thing if you don,t want.

I get a chuckle out of it when a (supposed) fool spills the beans and every one is poking and making fun and laughing and mocking, all the time they are being shown some serious as a heart attack things about making a better and more consistent violin, and all they can do is kill the messenger.

It really is riotously funny, we get our just dessert,,,,

Chocolate covered turds,,,

Delicious !

2 hours ago, VicM said:

I was only writting about disgusting jokes.... You think you are anonymous ???? That is naive.

Well yes and no, depending on how creepy someone wants to get. Meaning based on the information that is present here, yes she is "anon" does that mean that if some creepy weirdo wanted to dox her that they couldn't, no, they could...but then again, that'd just be creepy and stalkerish 

7 minutes ago, Evan Smith said:

Jezz,, Really!

I find the no nonsense attitude refreshing, I have never met nor talked to the man, but my perceptions are completely different than yours, I hear experience speaking that jells enough with my own observations that I wouldn't dismiss any thing with out careful consideration and a few honest questions first.

If I had the time and funds I'd love to attend the south cal workshops just because, do I need to,,, absolutely not,, not a chance, but I know it would be fantastic.

Sure I could jump in and defend some things some times, as people attack but what the heck, he's a tough boy,, don't believe any thing if you don,t want.

I get a chuckle out of it when a (supposed) fool spills the beans and every one is poking and making fun and laughing and mocking, all the time they are being shown some serious as a heart attack things about making a better and more consistent violin, and all they can do is kill the messenger.

It really is riotously funny, we get our just dessert,,,,

Chocolate covered turds,,,

Delicious !

Everyone here knows how good Michael is, he one of the best of the best of the best, but he also acts like a textbook outrage culture ween who often times gives off an air of superiority to us more low brow types who use cuss words and stuff....SOMETHING WHICH BY THE WAY I am a firm believer that we should be abstaining from....NO CUSS WORDS HERE...do it for the children 

1 hour ago, Michael Darnton said:

Evan has said it all. On every single other forum I participate in, this whole thread would have been disappeared long ago. EVERY FORUM.

I participate on a wide variety of forums, including hot rods and motorcycles. From that, I am not so eager to assign disagreement with one's own views (including my own) to dim-wittedness.

1 minute ago, bkwood said:

I don't care if folks want to have these conversations but I wish someone would start a new thread for them, and label it. I still click in this thread looking for for soundpost information. Silly me.

Oh, that's located in isle 7 in the how to mix hot hide glue post. Again, tangents, hard to stop people from being people 

46 minutes ago, bkwood said:

I don't care if folks want to have these conversations but I wish someone would start a new thread for them, and label it. I still click in this thread looking for for soundpost information. Silly me.

I think your takeaway should be that there is much remaining to be sorted out, and that there can be huge issues which those who claim to have figured everything out already have not taken a serious look at.

Again to get the soundpost thing down, even if you think you have it down, there is nothing like having a beater to practice on. If you can train yourself to do it while doing mundane things like watching tv or eating lunch , you;ll be surprised at how much you can step up the "feel" by doing it over and over again. I think for some reason practicing setting and moving posts while doing some other sedentary task like tv, or eating or talking with others WHILE you do it somehow increases the level of ease and skill, as if chewing gum and jumping up and down at the same time. 

It;s some kind of dual brain function thing whereas in the real world, it is often times that you will be chatting with a violinist client WHILE your doing adjustments and that by somehow practicing alone in your shop, even if you do it lots , with no other sensory input, just you really focusing on moving it and setting it, is not as good as if you practice doing it with other things going on around you.

I'm not really sure if this is just me, but it's somewhat like target shooting, there is target shooting when you are just standing there, and then there is military style target shooting where intentional chaos is happening all around you and you still need to be 100% accurate, the latter is a way more realistic way of shooting that takes into account real world scenarios and therefore if you practice like that, you will be a far more effective marksman under any conditions.

and so I'm not sure what goes on with that, again maybe just me, but somehow practicing with some secondary thing going on around you improves the skill level.