Maestronet Forums

Classical Music is Reviving!!!

Rue

Always good news! :P

To quote Samuel Clemens (Mark Twain):

"The report of my death was an exaggeration."

https://amp.classicfm.com/music-news/83-percent-brits-under-25-engage-orchestral-music/

While we've been inundated with reports regarding the death of classical music; the shrinking grey-haired audience, less funding for school programs, etc., it's good to know that the internet and its platforms may be helping with a revival of interest. Hopefully we'll see positive interest and growth.

Stay tuned! :D

Always the cynic :angry:

I can only say (careful now, will only say) "I'm surprised". The survey was carried out for the RPO and reported by Classic FM, who have absolutely no axe to grind. They canvassed 2,019 adults (how selected, how canvassed? - a questionnaire on the back of a concert program?) who were able to inform them about the listening habits of "young people in the UK" (progeny of concert-goers?). Read on and we discover that the three quarters of British adults that "have a relationship with" orchestral music include ("are chiefly"?) those who play video games and watch TV and films.

I think coffee, video games and movies are a great start to a revival! ^_^

A new interest doesn't mean an exact copy of the way things were, since we can't (and shouldn't) live in a time warp...but it's nice to know that an art form won't go extinct...and can remain relevant...

12 hours ago, Rue said:

I think coffee, video games and movies are a great start to a revival! ^_^

A new interest doesn't mean an exact copy of the way things were, since we can't (and shouldn't) live in a time warp...but it's nice to know that an art form won't go extinct...and can remain relevant...

WARNING, POSSIBLE NSFW CONTENT!! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!

Ummmm........is this stuff a revival, or a harbinger of doom?  :huh:

And somebody you'll all recognize along with her:

A new beginning for classical art, or Andre Rieu for the anime generation?  You be the judges. :lol:

23 minutes ago, palousian said:

Ah, we can always count on VdA to raise the level of discourse.  What I want to know--where are we going and why are we in this handbasket? :ph34r:

Where our predecessor civilizations went, from similar causes, and there's been no good reason to improve the container.  All clear now?  :ph34r::lol:

9 hours ago, Violadamore said:

Ooooh.....I found something waaayyyyyy better!  :D

https://www.liveleak.com/view?t=9KsRA_1564731085

An excerpt from an interview with the naked cellist Stjepan Hauser:

Q: What is the situation with the classics, does the audience or the classics die out?

I would say that the "hardcore" classic, unfortunately, is slowly dying, and for that I don't blame the audience too much, but the people who present the classic in a dry and boring way. Instead of breaking down barriers and walls against the audience, they add even more tension and rules to the classic, and the performers and the audience often dislike the choice of works they often perform. What I do may interest the masses as well, and I think that is a good thing for the classics as well.

And the result is:

If the visuals are too distracting (or otherwise incomprehensible), do we listen to the music?

I'm wondering if Lola has a health issue with her neck; are her vertebrae fused?

And I love the stonework in Stjepan's practice space. Wish I had a castle to practice in.

Now...what were they playing?

My reaction to lola & hauser is that it is theater. From the standpoint of classical music death would be preferable. Argerich, Rubenstein, Horowitz were never dry presenters, the focus was on the music they played and there was nothing boring about it. For people who don't get the music....well, that's their problem.

I am willing to bet that during their respective time periods, artists like Mozart and perhaps Paganini likely pushed the envelope in terms of visuals.  

Some of the above links of artists may not necessarily be to my liking, but to each his/her own.  Having said that, the problem lies wherein I do not necessarily find the actual music component of some of the above as anything extraordinary.

NOTE: rewatch the Adagio (Albinoni) video...at mark 1:23 through 1:26, the silver haired woman looks to be thoroughly enjoying the music for about 1 second before she quickly delves her attention to what appears to be her smart phone. LOL

2 hours ago, vathek said:

My reaction to lola & hauser is that it is theater. From the standpoint of classical music death would be preferable. Argerich, Rubenstein, Horowitz were never dry presenters, the focus was on the music they played and there was nothing boring about it. For people who don't get the music....well, that's their problem.

Well it is their problem but it is surely also ours. If audiences do not come out then live orchestral music dies. If Hauser encourages even ten per cent of his you tube audience to listen to other orchestral or chamber music and even half of that into a venue to listen to live music then that is a huge win for all players and indeed fot the Arts in General

2 hours ago, violinnewb said:

I am willing to bet that during their respective time periods, artists like Mozart and perhaps Paganini likely pushed the envelope in terms of visuals.  

Some of the above links of artists may not necessarily be to my liking, but to each his/her own.  Having said that, the problem lies wherein I do not necessarily find the actual music component of some of the above as anything extraordinary.

NOTE: rewatch the Adagio (Albinoni) video...at mark 1:23 through 1:26, the silver haired woman looks to be thoroughly enjoying the music for about 1 second before she quickly delves her attention to what appears to be her smart phone. LOL

Nope. She reaches for a handkerchief to wipe away a tear ... :)

2 hours ago, Televet said:

Well it is their problem but it is surely also ours. If audiences do not come out then live orchestral music dies. If Hauser encourages even ten per cent of his you tube audience to listen to other orchestral or chamber music and even half of that into a venue to listen to live music then that is a huge win for all players and indeed fot the Arts in General

That's exactly what was my point when I showed video of Hauser with children and the other video that shows him as a serious classical musician.
BTW, Luka Šulić, the other half of 2 Cellos, recently recorded in Rome the complete Four Seasons (with orchestra Archi dell' Santa Cecilia), and a three weeks ago he performed this peace at a concert, where it was a lot of young audience that has never before, I'm sure of that, been to a concert of classical music.

Love em or hate them, I think TwoSet has done a lot of good for the classical music in terms of appreciation and awareness; even how to properly get into playing. Just look under every single video on youtube for some LingLing comment etc. 

They've got, I think, over 2 mil subscribers now 

On 2/21/2020 at 8:21 PM, gtd said:

Love em or hate them, I think TwoSet has done a lot of good for the classical music in terms of appreciation and awareness; even how to properly get into playing. Just look under every single video on youtube for some LingLing comment etc. 

They've got, I think, over 2 mil subscribers now 

On 2/21/2020 at 8:24 PM, Rue said:

Yup. I like them two! :D

I really enjoy watching TwoSet.  First, they are both solid violinists.  Second, they are consistent about acknowledging their own shortcomings.  I tell my kids that even though it may seem like they like roasting other musicians, that they are not only musicians, but also mild comedians, and that they are not generally mean-spirited.  

Having said that, a great percentage of their viewers and subscribers are not musicians at all.  This is really fascinating because if you provide enough "interesting" content for non-musicians and people who are not necessarily intimately familiar with classical music, those people will begin to at least become familiar with classical music.  

Obsession with Chocolate.  Clever little joke.  And a nice rendition of the Ysaÿe.

Weird video (that it exists).  I want to know if she's actually obsessed with chocolate...

I wonder if there is also some ASMR crossover.

PS- she is actually obsessed with chocolate.  And there's more, from her website:

Yi-Jia Susanne also has a passion for Culinary Arts and has hence begun her exploration of ‘Musical Gastronomy’ inspired by recent research completed by the scientific minds at Oxford University in United Kingdom.  These multi-sensory experiences aim to understand and further enhance our taste and sensory experiences, as influenced by sound & music.  Her culinary collaborators include Relais Chateau Grand Chef Jonathan Gushue of Langdon Hall in Cambridge, Executive Chef Tyler Shedden of Café Boulud in Four Seasons Toronto, and this concept has now inspired a first-in-the-world Musical Wine creation: “200 percent: Virtuoso Wine”, which will be launched in Summer 2015, in collaboration with Master Wine-Maker Kathy Malone and Award-Winning Hillside Winery in the Okanagan Valley.