germain

Tarisio February Auction

Going to play the lots in the next week or so. Let me know if you want me to check any particular instruments. Noticed many instruments have bids by the same user “koko” or something like that. Interesting... 

I'd love to hear your impressions of the pair of Pilats and how they compare to one another, the "ascribed to Carlo Landolfi" looks interesting, too - I'd love to know what it really is...

lot 130 please.

i think it is highly underestimated, possibly to extract more buyers. It's a lovely looking violin. Am wondering if it has soft oil varnish or if it's more hard and chippy.

3 hours ago, chrissweden said:

lot 130 please.

i think it is highly underestimated, possibly to extract more buyers. It's a lovely looking violin. Am wondering if it has soft oil varnish or if it's more hard and chippy.

Are you the seller? :lol:

Yes Parravicini is a great maker - inexplicably only accorded one star by Brinser.

This example has quite a bit of restoration to the table and a button/neck repair, more of an issue on a modern violin than on something older - maybe that's why the estimate is low ...

8 hours ago, martin swan said:

Are you the seller? :lol:

Yes Parravicini is a great maker - inexplicably only accorded one star by Brinser.

This example has quite a bit of restoration to the table and a button/neck repair, more of an issue on a modern violin than on something older - maybe that's why the estimate is low ...

Is the brinser  book worth having?

17 minutes ago, jacobsaunders said:

You could snip lots of Italian labels out for all your annonymous Schönbach Celli

I could, but I’m not an evil master. I’m neither evil nor a master.

However, if you want some labels...

67CE3431-886C-4AD2-8DD2-072EFEC6F81A.jpeg

11 minutes ago, PhilipKT said:

I could, but I’m not an evil master. I’m neither evil nor a master.

However, if you want some labels...

67CE3431-886C-4AD2-8DD2-072EFEC6F81A.jpeg

It was only a joke, there is no need for you to confess

Good means that the cataloguer feels that it is well-made from better materials, and interesting means that the instrument in question invites speculation as to who may have made it. The first is fairly subjective, and the second can be said about anything without an iron clad attribution.

I'm not sure whether either modifier should be particularly meaningful to anyone except for the consignor.

9 hours ago, Three13 said:

Good means that the cataloguer feels that it is well-made from better materials, and interesting means that the instrument in question invites speculation as to who may have made it. The first is fairly subjective, and the second can be said about anything without an iron clad attribution.

I'm not sure whether either modifier should be particularly meaningful to anyone except for the consignor.

Interesting, thanks!

On 2/17/2020 at 2:19 AM, _Alex said:

OK...what is the difference between 'Good' and 'Interesting'?

Hi Alex,

"Three13" gave a good explanation but since you were referring to our auction we thought it would be useful to share our official understanding of the terms. 

In our catalog 'good' means we find the instrument or bow shows good quality materials and workmanship. We use 'fine' to describe those with exceptional materials and/or workmanship. 'Interesting' denotes a work that invites speculation but lacks a definite attribution.

Each venue has their own parameters for describing items, but as you'll notice in the Tarisio catalog, our use of descriptors is deliberately chosen relative to our terminology. 

We have a full glossary of terms available on our website, which we hope you find useful: https://tarisio.com/buyers-sellers/buyers/catalog-practice/