Sign in to follow this  
Woodland

Anyone recognize this bow stamp?

Last weekend a customer dropped of a Knilling laminate cello for repair. With the cello was an old, heavily worn silver/ebony cello bow with a curious stamp, or which I don't recognize or haven't been to find any info on.

From what remains of the stamp it appears to read:

HUNGER, HALLE a/9

Does anyone here recognize or have any info on it?

IMG_E0038.JPG

Never seen that stamp before. As you perhaps already know, Halle is a place, so the a/9 could have been an area there. This would leave Hunger as the retailer.

I am probably wrong though.

There was also a violin maker called Christoph Friedrich Hunger from Leipzig which is pretty close by.

54 minutes ago, BowBow said:

There was also a violin maker called Christoph Friedrich Hunger from Leipzig which is pretty close by.

CF Hunger was a maker of the 18th century, minimum one century earlier than this bow, and for German distances Leipzig isn't really near by to Halle.

I'm strongly assuming that the stamp just gives the name of a former owner and his/her location, nothing else. It would be much more interesting to see more details like frog, adjuster and head of the bow from different views.

I'll post some more pictures shortly. I found and dug out our weathered copy of German & Austrian Violin Makers by Jalovec (duh) and found 3 entries under Hunger. Richard Hunger was reputed to have worked as a repairman in Halle until 1911. No references as to him being a bow maker. It could have been a bow sold from/through his shop made by another bow shop.

23 minutes ago, Woodland said:

It could have been a bow sold from/through his shop made by another bow shop.

Probably bought from the Markneukirchen trade. Could be anything, but if silver mounted of a better quality for sure.

Thanks! This looks nice and could be a French bow, so maybe someone being more experienced in these could comment? 
Could you show the metal underslide, wether it’s pinned or screwed, if it has marks/numbers and a view of the stick at the end of the winding?

The underslide is pinned. The round stick appears to have been finished with a shellac or another finish as the wear indicates. I always associated that look with German bows, but the amount of French bows I've handled have been few.

IMG_0052.JPG

IMG_0056.JPG

IMG_0054.JPG

IMG_0057.JPG

IMG_0063.JPG

I can't quite see the adjuster belonging to the frog, but otherwise I agree it could be French.

The underslide looks like a replacement, unless you spent a hell of a long time cleaning it?

It did take a bit of cleaning, but it does look suspicously fresh as well. I added a better picture of the adjuster to my last post with photos.