Nik Kyklo

Woodworking skill: How to make a fluted rod with hand tools?

Here's another vote for a scratch stock. You can easily and cheaply make a fit for purpose tool or if you want to throw money on the problem then both Lie Nielsen and Veritas make excellent scratch stocks. I use mine often for beading and fluting on all sorts of projects.

14 hours ago, David Burgess said:

Couldn't we come up with a better name for it than "scratch stock"?  Maybe something along the lines of a form-tool scraper blade with an edge guide?

Crikey mate, look at the size of that name! I would never be able to use a tool with such a fancy description....... :) 

The only time I saw a bow stick being  fluted, the maker used a slightly  bent piece of round  toolsteel in a handle, with the edge ground  at maybe 80°. He used it just like a graver. It will  take  practice. I'm not sure that an ordinary  scratch stock will work very well.

3 hours ago, Conor Russell said:

The only time I saw a bow stick being  fluted, the maker used a slightly  bent piece of round  toolsteel in a handle, with the edge ground  at maybe 80°. He used it just like a graver. It will  take  practice. I'm not sure that an ordinary  scratch stock will work very well.

I have seen Bill Salchow flute a bow using a scratch stock in about 1/2 an hour. My recollection is that the tool he used actually centered the blade as the taper narrowed. This could be easily done by using a U shaped holder and keeping both sides in contact with the sides of the bow. This would also narrow the cut of a cove type bit as it turned but I can not figure out how it could cut on both sides when tilted. I think I remember him pushing and pulling the stock back and forth in both directions.  

Here's a possible solution - it's a prototype of a bow fluting plane that I put together at Oberlin a couple of summers ago, with help from David Orlin.  I haven't used it for an actual bow yet - the picture shows a test on a scrap of wood.  I have a larger one for the reeding at the butt end of the bow.   The details on the head have to be done with small gouges. 

Ed

Fluting-plane.jpg.4ec167385e054bed11950c750bcf6483.jpg