Sign in to follow this  
Violapalyer31

Cracks in Violas

Today I had an accident with my viola. I did not realize that my case was open and my Viola fell out. There is not a lot of damage but there are 2 hairline cracks, because I rent my instrument I would like to fix it (preferably by myself) What should I do?

I would guess that you are not likely to fix it by yourself adequately and there might be more damage that you can't see.  Eventually you would have to deal with whomever you rented it from anyway so  the best thing might be to confess to the place you rented it from and let them fix it.

For other non-violin instruments I have rented, the contract states that you as the renter are forbidden from doing any repairs yourself. Any damage is to be reported immediately to the owner (who may be able to get the repair done professionally under insurace)

In any case I imagine the owner would take a dim view of an unreported crack caused by dropping the viola, followed by an unauthorised amateur repair attempt.

Ditto. As a shop owner who has a fair number of rentals out and about, my rental contract strictly forbids customers from repairing my instruments. 

I have a customer with a nice Testore violin. Her husband is a big airline pilot. He dropped the case, popped the fingerboard off. He thinks, I am a pilot, I can fix this. Crooked with Gorilla Glue. After the proper repair, I reminded the husband that I would never try to fly the aircraft. 

Take it in. It isn't your instrument to repair.

16 hours ago, Violapalyer31 said:

Today I had an accident with my viola. I did not realize that my case was open and my Viola fell out. There is not a lot of damage but there are 2 hairline cracks, because I rent my instrument I would like to fix it (preferably by myself) What should I do?

The best thing to do, is just to notify them of an accident, then take it to them, so they can see for themselves. Your view of minor hairline cracks may not be the same as someone else's. Where cracks are is also important, some locations being much more serious than others.
Accidents may happen from time to time, and they will likely have some sort of insurance on the instrument.

If you try to cover it up, I think you will just be starting a world of pain for yourself. It is not your instrument after all, so trying to attempt some DIY, on someone else's property, in the hope you can "get away with it" seems foolhardy at best.