Sign in to follow this  
balen

Can anyone recognize this violin?

Hello guys, I just found this one, looks like an old czech one but cant recognize the brand. I presume it's at least 50 years old.

IMG-4664.jpg
IMG-4665.jpg

The label is a Mirecourt JTL Compagnon label, but that tells you nothing about the violin of course ...

If we are to recognize the violin we would need to see it.

Yes its full size, has purflings, fair wood, back, neck and ribs are generally in good condition, top had has its wear and repairs in time. The violin has a beautiful look. Has a very nice reddish brown varnish. I wonder what does R and S means under the button. Do you think it's about hundred years old?

Anyways I will give it some good love, fully restore and clean it, put some goods on it and can't wait to see how it will sound. I imagine it will be quite sweet and mellow.

13 minutes ago, balen said:

I wonder what does R and S means under the button. Do you think it's about hundred years old?

Just some previous owner's initials ...

Yes I'd put this around 1900-1910, give or take a decade.

I have just had a rummage through my violin pile and found a violin with the Compagnon label in it. It seems to be in pretty good condition. Are these worth much ?

1 hour ago, Delabo said:

I have just had a rummage through my violin pile and found a violin with the Compagnon label in it. It seems to be in pretty good condition. Are these worth much ?

How much is much?

7 hours ago, balen said:

Anyways I will give it some good love, fully restore and clean it, put some goods on it and can't wait to see how it will sound. I imagine it will be quite sweet and mellow.

Sweet and mellow? Maybe. Could be loud and a bit unwieldy. Will be interesting to hear when finished.

There is a range of these JTL instruments under various names (incl. medio-fino) which are quite similar.

They were very cheap student instruments at the time but have developed some appreciation because they often sound rather good.

In terms of value I see them a wee bit above the majority of cheap German trade instruments from the time but not by much.

10 hours ago, Guido said:

In terms of value I see them a wee bit above the majority of cheap German trade instruments from the time but not by much.

Why?

People often seem to mistakenly think, when I diagnose something as a “Dutzendarbeit”, I am using this term as a pejorative. Others refer to “German Factory Fiddle” which is both inaccurate, and really is a pejorative. These instruments were made by hand by some bloke at home in his shed at a breakneck speed for a pittance. One wonders what nice violins they could have made if the trade and the clientele weren’t so parsimonious. The cheap and nasty French ones, by contrast literally were “Factory violins”. One may see pictures of JTL’s factory, with it’s smoke stacks and it’s railway siding. I wonder if I would get my fingers dirty with the OP one.