vbw

cello with romberg bevel fingerboard

A cello I have has a Romberg bevel fingerboard and the string height above the bevel is a hair under 10mm .  I'll be putting steel strings on it and wondering if there is a standard way of approaching the bridge to adjust for the bevel . 

Thanks for any comments  and info .

Take it to a violin shop and have them lower the bridge, if that is possible. The neck might too low, there might not be enough bridge to lower it enough.

You don't generally adjust the fingerboard bevel to adjust the string height. You need a luthier.

Duane, 

I think he is asking if there is a different way to measure string height when there is a bevel. 

VBW,

Romberg or not you measure  from thee under side of the string to the finger board surface. Normal for steel strings would be about 7 mm under the C.

Nathan, perhaps you are correct. I was thinking that he was asking about a lower string height for steel strings and how to go about that, steel vs synthetic.

10mm is too high unless you are a very aggressive player with super strong hands.

1 hour ago, nathan slobodkin said:

Duane, 

I think he is asking if there is a different way to measure string height when there is a bevel. 

VBW,

Romberg or not you measure  from thee under side of the string to the finger board surface. Normal for steel strings would be about 7 mm under the C.

Thank you. I've never seen this before so it through me a bit.