radquartet

Remenyi Violin Authenticity

I purchased a violin in 2013 that I was told was a Laszlo Remenyi violin made in Budapest in 1946. It plays like an absolute dream and I have gotten many compliments on it so I never questioned the worth of the violin itself. I recently had it repaired for a crack and the authenticity of the instrument was called into question. Apparently the tag looks “too new” and the curls of the letters look suspicious when compared to the Laszlo Remenyi tag in the book “Violin Makers of Hungary” by Peter Benedeck. They wouldn’t show me the tag in the book, and apparently don’t want to get involved. Does anyone know what the Laszlo Remenyi tag is supposed to look like? The violin is also stamped with the letters R.L in two places and I was given an official insurance appraisal stating it is a Rememyi violin  when we purchased it. 

I think your best bet is to contact the Remenyi family (Remenyi House of Music in Toronto). I'm sure that they would be most helpful. I'm sure people here would like to see good pictures, though.

Rather than looking at the label one should be looking at the violin of course.

Also, there are many genuine old labels which are in pristine condition. It's the opposite that would be suspicious.

Sometimes shops just like to poo-poo everything. And plant seeds of doubt. And of course sometimes they're right.

Do as Martin and Three said.

I have the Benedek book and would be very happy to do a comparison with your violin if you want to post some photos ... I'm sure various other members also know roughly what a Remenyi should look like!

Thanks everyone for your help. I contacted Michael Remenyi and it is in fact a fake. Laszlo Rememyi was not known for stamping his initials on the body of the violin and apparently there are a number of fakes out there. I would encourage anyone who comes across this forum in the same position to contact Michael Remenyi.