Sign in to follow this  
MiniViool

Is this violin worth anything?

Good afternoon,

I've  recently acquired this  violin, i don't  have much information  about it and i don't know if  the labels are real. (I'm  quite sure they aren't)

I bought it to play, but now I'm  wondering if I've  been scammed. (I haven't  received it yet)

Thank you very much in advance

20200208_224011.jpg

20200208_224001.jpg

20200208_224019.jpg

20200208_224028.jpg

Screenshot_20200208-223855_Catawiki.jpg

Screenshot_20200208-223904_Catawiki.jpg

Screenshot_20200208-223932_Catawiki.jpg

20200208_223952.jpg

Edited by MiniViool

It`s been around for a while but from the photos you supplied it looks to be at least in a playable condition. Aside from the obvious peg hole repairs and grafted button I can`t see anything seriously wrong with it. I hope you didn`t pay too much for it and that it sounds OK when you eventually get it.

Would you please be so kind as to give us the URL of the original offering?  :)

Pretty decent 19th cent. Mark/schon is what I would guess from the picks. I might change that with more details. 1200-2000? Condition will be huge factor

The button has broken off/neck has broken out and is either not well repaired, or still loose. On a violin like this, which Looks like a decent Quality markneukirchen from the early 20th century to me, that is a very serious Problem.

2 hours ago, deans said:

1200-2000?

You should better always make a disclaimer that you’re referring to Californian prizing. The rest of the world can count off a zero from this numbers.-_-

BTW, it sounds like magic to judge and appraise a violin without seeing much more of it than the rear side and one f hole. Possibly that's all you will get?

The link to the auction 

https://auction.catawiki.com/kavels/34073287

I read about  him on a dutch forum, they weren't  talking too well about him... Still he has 100% positive feedback on catawiki. I also checked his old auctions, he sold some violins with very fake labels.

As I've  found his details on a Dutch reselling website. I thought about contacting  him directly and pick up the violin in person, to check for defects, playability and things that he might have been  able to conceil in the photos.

I recently bought 2 violins on catawiki... They looked pristine and  ready to play on the photos... none the less both are now with  a luthier.  (They were  very cheap, so i wasn't expecting much)

When they arrived i went back to check the photos,  feeling  blind... but none  of the problems were shown there.

Edited by MiniViool
Missing info

8 hours ago, Blank face said:

The rest of the world can count off a zero from this numbers.-_-

Actually from a dealer's perspective your figure is way too high too. Walk into a violin shop around here with a fiddle like that and you'll get zero.  I dont care too much about violins like this anymore, but if there was nothing terrible with the top I'd certainly buy for more than 100 bucks. Button break and all. 

Your correct though about offering an opinion without seeing the thing, but I did put a disclaimer about seeing more details. The top could be a train wreck.

14 hours ago, Blank face said:

You should better always make a disclaimer that you’re referring to Californian prizing. The rest of the world can count off a zero from this numbers.-_-

I live in California and I am in the market for a new violin. I’ve been wondering if I would get more for my money by traveling. 

On 2/11/2020 at 2:24 PM, Boghdoir said:

I live in California and I am in the market for a new violin. I’ve been wondering if I would get more for my money by traveling. 

It depends on what type of instrument you are looking for. Even though prices can be higher, in many cases its worth it to establish a good relationship with a local shop. 

5 hours ago, deans said:

It depends on what type of instrument you are looking for. Even though prices can be higher, in many cases its worth it to establish a good relationship with a local shop. 

Thanks for the input. I do have a shop that is a couple hours away (a famous one that starts with an M in LA). They are very nice in there and helped my with a bow that needed some love. They have a ton of instruments in my price range and I sure as soon as I get serious I will go try some out there. 

I am going to try and keep my cool and not buy the first one I like. I am an adult amateur / beginner and the first time I upgraded my violin I went from a $500 German student instrument to a new Chinese one that cost almost $2000. The difference is crazy, even though what I really need is to practice, I love how much better my Chinese fiddle sounds. I have been playing it just over a year and I know I am not out playing it. 

My new budget is $5000. I haven’t played anything better than mine before, and I am super curious about the sound. I am somewhat doubtful that I will achieve an upgrade like my last one, where the difference is huge.

My dream is to find an American instrument that sounds better than mine and suits me more. Mine right now is a little on the loud side and not very forgiving. I know I may be asking a lot for my budget but maybe I’ll get lucky.