Sign in to follow this  
liang7079

Books for restoration and sound adjustment

Hello all: 

Please offer your opinion on recommended books on violin restorations and sound adjustment, for someone getting into the trade. Thanks! 

1 hour ago, liang7079 said:

Hello all: 

Please offer your opinion on recommended books on violin restorations and sound adjustment, for someone getting into the trade. Thanks! 

I'm not a restorer but I would suggest Weisshaar book "Violin restoration", perhaps a little outdated in some respects (restoration techniques are constantly evolving) but still extremely valid I think.

12 minutes ago, Davide Sora said:

I'm not a restorer but I would suggest Weisshaar book "Violin restoration", perhaps a little outdated in some respects (restoration techniques are constantly evolving) but still extremely valid I think.

Yes definitely of interest, rather expensive but now being reprinted and will purchase when I can.

Henry Strobel's "Useful Measurements for Violin Makers" contains just what its title implies.  It is a great basic reference and not terribly expensive.

I have not yet run across a really good on-line resource for "sound adjustment".  Most of it seems to come from people who have become really good at fooling themselves. I have been there, on and off, too.

The Weißhaar book is to be avoided, unless you already have a thorough background in violin restoring. On the one hand it treats you like a baby, and tells you what a tree looks like, on the other hand it encourages you to do quite unnecessary and irreversible repairs/vandalism on old violins

Given the quality of information available on their website, I would use the Triangle Strings methods articles as a guide for work. Books like Weisshaar used to be the standard, but I don’t think they’re as useful in comparison to other resources nowadays. I believe this is why the market for old violin books has suffered lately. A colleague of mine who has an incredible collection of violin making and identification books spoke to Tarisio about a year ago, and they told him they’d be interested in any instruments he had, but they didn’t care about the books at all, since they already had a lot of people trying to dump them, and demand had dwindled. 

30 minutes ago, jacobsaunders said:

The Weißhaar book is to be avoided, unless you already have a thorough background in violin restoring. On the one hand it treats you like a baby, and tells you what a tree looks like, on the other hand it encourages you to do quite unnecessary and irreversible repairs/vandalism on old violins

I happen to think that the Weisshaar book is a pretty good resource, while also granting that repair and restoration have taken major steps since that book was first published, around 30 years ago.

36 minutes ago, jacobsaunders said:

I'll agree with David's point of view.  I also think we should acknowledge that just about anything remotely resembling "restoration" involves at least some degree of vandalism.  They would probably all be better off if we just set them aside and quit playing them etc.

31 minutes ago, Mark Norfleet said:

I'll agree with David's point of view.  I also think we should acknowledge that just about anything remotely resembling "restoration" involves at least some degree of vandalism.  They would probably all be better off if we just set them aside and quit playing them etc.

I suppose I do too from his “point of view”. He is a grown up, with decades in the trade, and will know how to use it, and what to ignore. It becomes a recipe for disaster when used by novices who think that violin restorers are expensive bullshiters, and that they can cut the corner of having to learn the trade in the traditional way by buying a book.

52 minutes ago, jacobsaunders said:

I suppose I do too from his “point of view”. He is a grown up, with decades in the trade, and will know how to use it, and what to ignore. It becomes a recipe for disaster when used by novices who think that violin restorers are expensive bullshiters, and that they can cut the corner of having to learn the trade in the traditional way by buying a book.

I get that, and it was a bit baffling to me when Hans Weisshaar put out a "repair manual", after decades of having taken the position that "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing".

2 hours ago, David Burgess said:

I happen to think that the Weisshaar book is a pretty good resource, while also granting that repair and restoration have taken major steps since that book was first published, around 30 years ago.

I think it’s a good resource, too. However, I don’t recommend it to anyone just getting started. I’ve watched a couple people misinterpret information in it and then make some serious mistakes. 

27 minutes ago, The Violin Beautiful said:

I think it’s a good resource, too. However, I don’t recommend it to anyone just getting started. I’ve watched a couple people misinterpret information in it and then make some serious mistakes. 

It's hard to say or write anything which cannot be misinterpreted or spun. While I have made some good-faith tries many times, many of which worked out, I also have a few spectacular failures on social media. :)

1 hour ago, J Corry said:

Does anyone have any comments on the IPCI book set?

I think it's really good, all around, but I wouldn't consider it to be a be-all resource for someone who was starting from scratch.

Some other comments and opinions:

"At over 1600 pages, including 1000 photographs, 300 technical drawings, and a CD ROM, this publication is "simply a must," say Joseph Grubaugh & Sigrun Seifert.

More praise for the publication:

"One of the greatest sources of information for anyone who is a fiddle aficionado." — David Burgess in The Strad
"The ultimate work on stringed instruments." — Danish Museum of Music
"This book makes a huge contribution to bow making and restoration ... an invaluable reference that will allow the craft to advance." — Paul Siefried
"This book is a masterpiece, both in the information it imparts and the beauty of its presentation. It is invaluable." — Peter Oxley
"Une inestimable somme d'informations ... une 'bible' pluridisciplinaire." — Cité de la musique, Paris
"An encyclopedic, staggering collection of knowledge." — Roger Hargrave
"A treasure trove of wisdom by a cast of contributors in the vanguard of today's renaissance of violin and bow making." — Strings Magazine, May 2011
"This superbly executed work represents an enormous effort masterfully realized ... readable and beautiful; the index is good, the photography and illustrations crisp, the paper choice perfect, and the use of second colour terrific. The varnished paper jacket, laminated on the inside to give it the right weight, is a clever touch." — Alcuin Society Award for Book Design, Best Reference Book

21 minutes ago, J Corry said:

Does anyone have any comments on the IPCI book set?

once again, not for beginners, although it belongs in everyone's library.