Sign in to follow this  
zhiyi_zhang617

Is this violin interesting?

2 hours ago, jacobsaunders said:

The craft of authenticating violins, is to find a reference example which is the same. Your move, I’m afraid

While not the needle in the haystack given the characteristics of the violin, I would better use my free time that is quite limitedly available only in the weekends. Thus, it is the time for me to warm up my rusty fingering on my humble, loyal, and old Juzek MA now...

21 hours ago, GeorgeH said:

Poor shadow, indeed. The original plans for the violin remain where they were buried under Stonehenge by aliens.

Aliens?!  Surely you mean The Knights Templar with help from some short guys with really big feet. Choose wisely, man.

On 2/7/2020 at 8:58 PM, zhiyi_zhang617 said:

Well, all corners are blocked inside, and scroll fluting went all the way to the bit end of the throat. It is indeed one of our main instruments...

Looking at it brightened a cold, dreary, February day on Lake Ontario.  A fine accompaniment to Norbert Kraft playing on the stereo.

Your photos are very useful for my restoration of an instrument I recently rescued from a country roadside antique market. Whatever your reasons for showing us the pictures, thanks for posting them.

3 hours ago, zhiyi_zhang617 said:

Therefore, why would not it be a not-so-famed Milanese?

Thats a good question that I would like the answer to as well  because many Milanese violins use BOB construction just like  German violins and at a quick glance  seem to share similar features.

I guess ground and varnish play a big part in telling them apart.

2 hours ago, zhiyi_zhang617 said:

Thus, it is the time for me to warm up my rusty fingering on my humble, loyal, and old Juzek MA now...

From a playing standpoint, is the Juzek better? 

On 2/9/2020 at 2:26 PM, deans said:

From a playing standpoint, is the Juzek better? 

A good question. I would think it depends. Both are reasonably decent in their own ways IMHO.

The Juzek has the 'typical' and "characteristic" MA tone: round, mellow, dexterous, relaxing, and a little forgiven (thus easy to play), but not overwhelmingly powerful. Anyone who has the experience in playing an old Juzek MA, particularly ca 1920s, would know exactly what I am talking about. Therefore, it is probably most suited for orchestra/chamber playing. At home, I play it most frequently mainly because of the playability and also protecting my hearing. The "Marchi" discussed here is very powerful, brilliant, dynamic, pleasant, but somewhat unforgiven (IOW, "soloistic" if allow me to use that term). With my level of playing, I do not have a good grasp of it, and will never be able to bring out the potential, even partially, it has.

Just use an analogy, the Juzek MA is a Lexus SUV, while the "Marchi" a Porsche Boxster.

1 hour ago, zhiyi_zhang617 said:

Here you go.

front (middle zoom).JPG

Label 1.JPG

back (straight and whole).JPG

back corner purfling 2.JPG

IMG_0530.jpg

IMG_0521.jpg

That’s definitely the scroll and edge fluting of a MA, but the F-holes and varnish look unusual, and the label isn’t as red as I would expect. The scroll is grafted, right? I can’t tell from the scroll photo, but the Juzek MAs are usually grafted.

and yes I know, ignore labels, but still...

Edited by PhilipKT
Addendum

Again,  for the millionth time,  I wonder why more people do not evalutate a violin on its own merits.  I know that the violin market is polluted with everyone's ambition to make money after a preriod of playing.

If you get a very nice violin for a decent price,  enjoy it and forget about the money and getting rich.

And stay out of the violin speculation market unless you are a real expert.  (And I seriously question how many "real experts" are really out there.)   I recall that D'Atilli was an expert.   After he died,   his opinioins seem to have lost their value.  I suspect this is true of nearly all experts.   They are not experts on tone or playability,  they claim to be experts on provenance and investment.

In other words,  an expert is a person with a very large memory.   After such a person dies,  perhaps along comes another very convincing "expert" with a different set of memories.  The situation is less risky amongst stamp collectors.

Forget all about investments.  Go put your money in the financial institutes set up to do that,  and enjoy your music on the side.

Are the ribs let into a groove in the back? The one picture seems to suggest that. 

( not the Juzek but the original OP's violin)

On 2/10/2020 at 4:04 PM, hendrik said:

Are the ribs let into a groove in the back? The one picture seems to suggest that. 

( not the Juzek but the original OP's violin)

I do not know how to determine "the ribs into a groove". What I can see are the rib joints in the C-bout connected to the top table and that connected to the back are distant from the tips of the corners 

On 2/9/2020 at 1:47 PM, Randall The Restorer said:

Your photos are very useful for my restoration of an instrument I recently rescued from a country roadside antique market. Whatever your reasons for showing us the pictures, thanks for posting them.

Thank you for the compliment. Indeed, its appearing look and intriguing varnish grabbed me at the first place...

To my eyes, it is not only an interesting old fiddle, but also a sophisticated work of art.

23 hours ago, PhilipKT said:

That’s definitely the scroll and edge fluting of a MA, but the F-holes and varnish look unusual, and the label isn’t as red as I would expect. The scroll is grafted, right? I can’t tell from the scroll photo, but the Juzek MAs are usually grafted.

and yes I know, ignore labels, but still...

The scroll is not grafted; I attached a few more photos taken just now.

IMG_5568.jpg

IMG_5565.jpg

IMG_5564.jpg

IMG_5569.jpg

2 hours ago, zhiyi_zhang617 said:

The scroll is not grafted; I attached a few more photos taken just now.

IMG_5568.jpg

IMG_5565.jpg

IMG_5564.jpg

IMG_5569.jpg

Hmmm a grafted scroll is a hallmark of Juzek MA, And that is definitely a master art scroll. I can’t tell anything from the photo because it’s a bit blurry, But if you say it’s not then that’s fine. Maybe they didn’t do it on all of them.

I dont think all MA have grafted scrolls, most do though, esp when you see that type of fluting.

I wonder what happened to the varnish

14 hours ago, Johnmasters said:

Again,  for the millionth time,  I wonder why more people do not evalutate a violin on its own merits.  I know that the violin market is polluted with everyone's ambition to make money after a preriod of playing.

If you get a very nice violin for a decent price,  enjoy it and forget about the money and getting rich.

And stay out of the violin speculation market unless you are a real expert.  (And I seriously question how many "real experts" are really out there.)   I recall that D'Atilli was an expert.   After he died,   his opinioins seem to have lost their value.  I suspect this is true of nearly all experts.   They are not experts on tone or playability,  they claim to be experts on provenance and investment.

In other words,  an expert is a person with a very large memory.   After such a person dies,  perhaps along comes another very convincing "expert" with a different set of memories.  The situation is less risky amongst stamp collectors.

Forget all about investments.  Go put your money in the financial institutes set up to do that,  and enjoy your music on the side.

I think your advice is wise - from many points of view.

My dear departed Dad collected (Canadian) postage stamps; firstly because he liked the pictures on the stamps, secondly for the thrill  of searching for a missing piece, thirdly for the fun of sorting and sharing, lastly as a financial investment. My son followed that example but with Lego. I collect tonewood, and "mediocre" antique instruments and woodworking tools to actually use, admire, and to enrich the lives of others. Any cash profits are icing on the cake.  I much prefer to trade and barter - cash is dirty and boring.

I believe that the most profitable investment is in the time to learn new skills, make new friends and cultivate existing friendships.  These things are hard to fake and always in high demand with short supply; they're self-insured and the taxman can't touch them.

"Live simply and help others to simply live." Anonymous

Thanks for reading.

Sincerely,

Randy O'Malley

9 minutes ago, Randall The Restorer said:

Any cash profits are icing on the cake.  I much prefer to trade and barter - cash is dirty and boring.

This sounds like arrogance of someone having inherited some millions from his ancestors. Sorry that we other millions can't afford this simplicity.

50 minutes ago, Rue said:

I had forgotten about Lucky Hans!!! ^_^

To be fair though...we might want to counter with the true Red Paperclip tale:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_red_paperclip

Maybe that's demonstrating different cultural views. Here Hans starting with gold and ending up luckily without, there McDonald starting happily and ending caught in a small white box.;)