Sign in to follow this  
Nestorvass

Violin Templates Online

14 minutes ago, Nestorvass said:

I've done that myself there are papers online https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/2e00/b117f15a0317c6fd0fe31f16a21f5909800b.pdf . Arent you bored yet? Why are you still here really ? get a life.

Get a job! :lol:  Then you will have the money to buy some of the tools and posters people here have recommended.

I suggested earlier that you might like to have a conversation with George Bissinger. But I guess you think you know everything about violin acoustics already. :blink:

Publications:

"Structural acoustics model of the violin radiativity profile", G. Bissinger, J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 124, 4013-4023 (2008).

"Structural acoustics of good and bad violins", G. Bissinger, J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 124, 1764-1773 (2008).

"Surprising regularity between plate modes 2 and 5 and the B1 corpus modes,": Part I", G. Bissinger,  Violin Soc. Am.: VSA Papers 21, 83-101 (2007).

"Violin f-hole contribution to far-field radiation via patch near-field acoustical holography", G. Bissinger, E.G. Williams, N. Valdivia, J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 121, 3899-3906 (2007).

"The Violin Bridge as Filter", G. Bissinger, J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 120, 482-491 (2006)

"A Unified Materials-Normal Mode Approach To Violin Acoustics", G. Bissinger, Acustica, 91, 214-228 (2005)

"Contemporary generalized normal mode violin acoustics", G. Bissinger, Acustica, 90, 590-599 (2004)

"The role of radiation damping in violin sound", G. Bissinger, Acoust. Res. Lett. Online, 5, 82-87 (2004).http://ojps.aip.org/ARLO

"I.  Relating normal mode properties of violins to overall quality – signature modes", G. Bissinger, CAS Journal, 4 (series II), 37-45 (2003)

"II.  Relating normal mode properties of violins to overall quality – general trends",  G. Bissinger, CAS Journal 4 (series II), 46-52 (2003)

"Generalized Normal Mode Violin Acoustics", G. Bissinger, Proc Stockholm Mus. Acoust. Conf. 2003, 35-38 (2003)

"Modal analysis of a violin octet", G. Bissinger, J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 113, 2105-2113 (2003)

"Wall compliance and violin cavity modes", G. Bissinger, J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 113, 1718-1723 (2003).

"Radiation damping, efficiency and directivity for violin normal modes below 4 kHz", G. Bissinger and J. Keiffer, Acoust. Res. Lett. Online, 4, no.1, 7-12 (2003)

"Modern vibration measurement techniques for bowed string instruments", G. Bissinger, Exp. Techniq. 25(no.4), 43-46 (2001).

18 minutes ago, David Burgess said:

Quite number of physicists have attended violin acoustics workshops and conferences. Why? Many of them say that it's because violin acoustics is so uniquely challenging.

Again, you are demonstrating that you don't know how much you don't know. ;)

I wouldn't say that violin physics is uniquely challenging, but a violin is a rather difficult system to realistically model. The idea (as stated by the OP) that anyone who has studied quantum mechanics, statistical physics and thermodynamics at university should find violin acoustics a doddle is just plain wrong. 

On the other hand, though, if a guy wants to make a violin, where's the harm in that?

8 minutes ago, JohnCockburn said:

The idea (as stated by the OP) that anyone who has learned quantum mechanics, statistical physics and thermodynamics at university should find violin acoustics a doddle is just plain wrong. 

Careful, the OP might unleash some of his vitriol on you for failing to affirm his opinions! :D

9 minutes ago, David Burgess said:

Get a job! :lol:  Then you will have the money to buy some of the tools and posters people here have recommended.

I suggested earlier that you might like to have a conversation with George Bissinger. But I guess you know everything about violin acoustics already. :blink:

Publications:

"Structural acoustics model of the violin radiativity profile", G. Bissinger, J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 124, 4013-4023 (2008).

"Structural acoustics of good and bad violins", G. Bissinger, J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 124, 1764-1773 (2008).

"Surprising regularity between plate modes 2 and 5 and the B1 corpus modes,": Part I", G. Bissinger,  Violin Soc. Am.: VSA Papers 21, 83-101 (2007).

"Violin f-hole contribution to far-field radiation via patch near-field acoustical holography", G. Bissinger, E.G. Williams, N. Valdivia, J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 121, 3899-3906 (2007).

"The Violin Bridge as Filter", G. Bissinger, J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 120, 482-491 (2006)

"A Unified Materials-Normal Mode Approach To Violin Acoustics", G. Bissinger, Acustica, 91, 214-228 (2005)

"Contemporary generalized normal mode violin acoustics", G. Bissinger, Acustica, 90, 590-599 (2004)

"The role of radiation damping in violin sound", G. Bissinger, Acoust. Res. Lett. Online, 5, 82-87 (2004).http://ojps.aip.org/ARLO

"I.  Relating normal mode properties of violins to overall quality – signature modes", G. Bissinger, CAS Journal, 4 (series II), 37-45 (2003)

"II.  Relating normal mode properties of violins to overall quality – general trends",  G. Bissinger, CAS Journal 4 (series II), 46-52 (2003)

"Generalized Normal Mode Violin Acoustics", G. Bissinger, Proc Stockholm Mus. Acoust. Conf. 2003, 35-38 (2003)

"Modal analysis of a violin octet", G. Bissinger, J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 113, 2105-2113 (2003)

"Wall compliance and violin cavity modes", G. Bissinger, J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 113, 1718-1723 (2003).

"Radiation damping, efficiency and directivity for violin normal modes below 4 kHz", G. Bissinger and J. Keiffer, Acoust. Res. Lett. Online, 4, no.1, 7-12 (2003)

"Modern vibration measurement techniques for bowed string instruments", G. Bissinger, Exp. Techniq. 25(no.4), 43-46 (2001).

I have a job I am a student at the university. That is my job for now. You can go deep into any subject in physics as deep as you like. But beyond a certain point it is kind of pointless. And I mean pointless to know all these things to build a violin not to study them for a scientific person. Do you know all these stuff David?

2 minutes ago, David Burgess said:

Careful, the OP might unleash some of his vitriol on you for failing to affirm his opinions! :D

Why do you even have an opinion. Do you know anything about the subjects i mentioned? A single thing? Have you studied anything related to physics to even have an opinion on your own?

6 minutes ago, Nestorvass said:

Why do you even have an opinion. Do you know anything about the subjects i mentioned? A single thing? Have you studied anything related to physics to even have an opinion on your own?

Why do you have so many opinions about violin making? ;)

23 minutes ago, JohnCockburn said:

On the other hand, though, if a guy wants to make a violin, where's the harm in that?

No harm. But when someone says they would like to be a professional (as the OP has), the landscape changes a bit. How well positioned are they to make a go of it? Do they realize that while some pull it off, there are also a number of really good and well-trained makers who have difficulty selling their instruments? Do they realize that most people trained as violin makers actually make the bulk of their living as repair-people?

Just now, David Burgess said:

No harm. But when someone says they would like to be a professional (as the OP has), the landscape changes a bit. How well positioned are they to make a go of it? Do they realize that while some pull it off, there are also a number of really good and well-trained makers who have difficulty selling their instruments? Do they realize that most people trained as violin makers actually make the bulk of their living as repair-people?

I don't no, and you could have said that which is actual and usable information instead of just telling me that I can't do it. Also it would be nice if you responded to my message instead of ignoring it.

2 minutes ago, Nestorvass said:

I don't no, and you could have said that which is actual and usable information instead of just telling me that I can't do it. Also it would be nice if you responded to my message instead of ignoring it.

I told you that and you ignored it ... :lol:

2 minutes ago, martin swan said:

I told you that and you ignored it ... :lol:

I am sorry but there are like 120 post here I probably missed it. My bad, I had the impression that hand crafted violins by a single luthier cost at least 5000$ so if one makes 3 per year maybe 4 its a lot of money. Unless that isnt the case...

14 minutes ago, Nestorvass said:

I don't no, and you could have said that which is actual and usable information instead of just telling me that I can't do it.

Where did I say that you "can't do it"? What I've expressed is that the odds are not good. Particularly, since you don't seems to be easily "teachable".

1 minute ago, David Burgess said:

Where did I say that you "can't do it"? What I've expressed is that the odds are not good.

Still would you like someone to tell you that when you where starting out? Let me discover it for myself. Don't make assumptions about other people based on your own experiences.

32 minutes ago, Nestorvass said:

Still would you like someone to tell you that when you where starting out?

Absolutely!!! If I had little chance of success at a career I was contemplating, I would very much appreciate someone telling me up front.

One of my daughters was a pretty good golfer in high school. I don't know much about golf, so I got together with her coach, and asked him what her professional chances were, and if there would be any value in trying to "prodigy-track" her.

He said that she would probably find it to be a wonderful hobby, LOL. While some over-reactive or "hair-trigger" parent might have been insulted that he didn't think their child was "all that", I very much appreciated his candor.

Another of my daughters was pretty decent at ballet. But I already knew lots of dancers, and already knew of all the challenges and potential pitfalls.

1 minute ago, David Burgess said:

Absolutely!!! If I had little chance of success at a career I was contemplating, I would very much appreciate someone telling me up front.

One of my daughters was a pretty good golfer in high school. I don't know much about golf, so I got together with her coach, and asked him what her professional chances were, and if there would be any value in trying to "prodigy-track" her.

He said that she would probably find it to be a wonderful hobby, LOL. While some parents might have been insulted that he didn't think their child was "all that", I very much appreciated his candor.

Another of my daughters was pretty decent at ballet. But I already knew lots of dancers, and already knew of all the challenges and pitfalls.

I agree however i believe that a person's will is much more important than talent. Still, I  believe I am a talented woodworker I am not a luthier but I know how to work with wood how to finish it how to use a plane etc. I am not as clueless as you thing. Also I know every single step and the order of each step that is required to build a violin. I may not have done it myself but still better than not knowing anything.I also have the will to build it. I am not sure if I want to pursue a professional career. In order to be sure I'll have to make one in the first place. Witness the difficulties at first hand.  Based on my understanding if someone is decent at making a violin and makes 3-5 per year for the price that they are sold (I believe at least 5000$) thats not little money. Correct me if i am wrong I am no professional all i can do is assume

50 minutes ago, Nestorvass said:

I am sorry but there are like 120 post here I probably missed it. My bad, I had the impression that hand crafted violins by a single luthier cost at least 5000$ so if one makes 3 per year maybe 4 its a lot of money. Unless that isnt the case...

:lol: no problem I will post it again ... 

Nestorvass, you aren't on Twitter here.

David is one of the most respected of professional contemporary violin makers - you may not like what he's saying, but it's just as valid as all the "yay, go for it, you're awesome" responses you're getting here.

If you want to get an insight into why David thinks you may be being overly optimistic about your skills, why not try reading the entire thread about inducing tension in the top of a violin.

This is the club you have just joined ...

There are hobby makers here as well as professionals, but if you're an ambitious young guy wanting to make a living out of making violins, then you need to find a way to study under professionals. Very few people succeed in this, and most good professional violin-makers earn their keep by restoring and/or dealing.

1 minute ago, martin swan said:

:lol: no problem I will post it again ... 

David is one of the most respected of professional contemporary violin makers - you may not like what he's saying, but it's just as valid as all the "yay, go for it, you're awesome" responses you're getting here.

If you want to get an insight into why David thinks you may be being overly optimistic about your skills, why not try reading the entire thread about inducing tension in the top of a violin.

This is the club you have just joined ...

There are hobby makers here as well as professionals, but if you're an ambitious young guy wanting to make a living out of making violins, then you need to find a way to study under professionals. Very few people succeed in this, and most good professional violin-makers earn their keep by restoring and/or dealing.

Though I am kind of glad that i missed this because i dont particularly enjoy your tone 

4 minutes ago, martin swan said:

I will say this. My will to build a violin is enough to build it. I will search anything and everything and I will do it I may fail the first time even the second or the third, but I will get to it eventually. As for the study under professionals I don't think its necessary at least not for now. There are plenty books, videos and information on this forum to get me going. A mans own experience and failure is better than any professionals advice. As the saying goes "A master has failed more times than the apprentice has ever tried" so let my try and leave me alone please. Unless you have some useful information to help me to build my violin  :)

39 minutes ago, Nestorvass said:

Though I am kind of glad that i missed this because i dont particularly enjoy your tone 

A mans own experience and failure is better than any professionals advice. As the saying goes "A master has failed more times than the apprentice has ever tried" so let my try and leave me alone please. 

Willingly.

I think David detected in the tone of your first couple of posts the exact quality which may stand in the way of professional success. 

As for this  "A mans own experience and failure is better than any professionals advice".

Sorry but no.

8 minutes ago, martin swan said:

Willingly.

I think David detected in the tone of your first couple of posts the exact quality which may stand in the way of professional success. 

As for this  "A mans own experience and failure is better than any professionals advice".

Sorry but no.

You and David don't know me so you shouldn't judge me or my abilities . Remind me again what is the title and the first post of this thread? Also and to end this here I didn't ask for  your opinion I asked for patterns? But it seems to be very confusing for the both of you I am not sure why.

Dear Nestorvass,

At first I did not want to attend any of this conversation, but I've got to say something I guess.

Few years ago I was in the very same situation as you are right now. I was more than very willing to make a violin. I spent hours and hours on the internet looking for information and step by step guides. I also discovered the opinion that David and others have - that it is not a very straightforward task and that it is not particulary easy to make a living out of violin making. The plan to build a superb violin on the first try collapsed rather quickly. I had to give up all of my unrealistic ambitions and start with what I had - a simple template made by Addie and the videos. Althought I had the impression that I am making the best violin in the world, looking back now, it was a complete disaster. But after that, together with studying university and doing some part time jobs, I found a local luthier who was wiling to teach me and only then I realised what I was doing wrong. Almost everything to be honest. Now I am undergoing a formal training with this luthier mentioned above and only now I can say I am becoming a violin maker. 

What I want to say with this? Go for it - make a violin, either from the poster or from one of Addie's molds. There are many ways to determine the arching heights and thicknesses. Many of them can be found on the internet. On some of my instruments I started hollowing the plates until I found that they are flexible enough. And it somehow worked, at least for the first instruments. But as you go for it, do not be discouraged and more importantly offended by someone trying to tell you that it is not as easy as you wold think. It is not only about telling you that you can do it, it is also about showing you the other side of the craft. Making 4 instruments for 5000€ per year is a nice idea but it often does not work this way. Plus take in mind that you have to buy materials yourself which is a lot of investments. Thus the price of the violin is not only for the instrument itself, it is also for everything what is behind it. 

Do not think about it a lot and start working. You will realise it is a great fun if nothing else :) I have my fingers crossed for you!

Best wishes!

Dominik 

2 minutes ago, Dominik Tomasek said:

Dear Nestorvass,

At first I did not want to attend any of this conversation, but I've got to say something I guess.

Few years ago I was in the very same situation as you are right now. I was more than very willing to make a violin. I spent hours and hours on the internet looking for information and step by step guides. I also discovered the opinion that David and others have - that it is not a very straightforward task and that it is not particulary easy to make a living out of violin making. The plan to build a superb violin on the first try collapsed rather quickly. I had to give up all of my unrealistic ambitions and start with what I had - a simple template made by Addie and the videos. Althought I had the impression that I am making the best violin in the world, looking back now, it was a complete disaster. But after that, together with studying university and doing some part time jobs, I found a local luthier who was wiling to teach me and only then I realised what I was doing wrong. Almost everything to be honest. Now I am undergoing a formal training with this luthier mentioned above and only now I can say I am becoming a violin maker. 

What I want to say with this? Go for it - make a violin, either from the poster or from one of Addie's molds. There are many ways to determine the arching heights and thicknesses. Many of them can be found on the internet. On some of my instruments I started hollowing the plates until I found that they are flexible enough. And it somehow worked, at least for the first instruments. But as you go for it, do not be discouraged and more importantly offended by someone trying to tell you that it is not as easy as you wold think. It is not only about telling you that you can do it, it is also about showing you the other side of the craft. Making 4 instruments for 5000€ per year is a nice idea but it often does not work this way. Plus take in mind that you have to buy materials yourself which is a lot of investments. Thus the price of the violin is not only for the instrument itself, it is also for everything what is behind it. 

Do not think about it a lot and start working. You will realise it is a great fun if nothing else :) I have my fingers crossed for you!

Best wishes!

Dominik 

Thank you thats exactly what I am going to do. If it turns out to be a disaster no problem, I will make it better the next time. If there was a luthier near me in Athens Greece I would go there in a heartbeat. Unfortunately there is not 

59 minutes ago, Nestorvass said:

Remind me again what is the title and the first post of this thread? Also and to end this here I didn't ask for  your opinion I asked for patterns? But it seems to be very confusing for the both of you I am not sure why.

Is it not you who is confused? This is a forum, and you are not the moderator. You get what you get. :)

Rather than lashing out, how about being grateful for getting even more information than you asked for? ;)

Martin is a very knowledgeable guy who deserves much better than your pugnacious crap. How deep a hole do you wish to dig for yourself? Maybe you will wish to be employed by Martin someday, or sell your fiddles through his shop. How well do you think that's going to go?

6 minutes ago, Nestorvass said:

Thank you thats exactly what I am going to do. If it turns out to be a disaster no problem, I will make it better the next time. If there was a luthier near me in Athens Greece I would go there in a heartbeat. Unfortunately there is not 

Well, at least you found a gap in the market... :) 

3 minutes ago, David Burgess said:

Is it not you who is confused? This is a forum, and you are not the moderator. You get what you get. :)

Great in that case thank you for replying to a question that i never asked :)lol

4 minutes ago, Dominik Tomasek said:

Well, at least you found a gap in the market... :) 

:D Sure there's a positive side to it. Though the reason why they don't exist is probably because people don't really buy them around here.