Sign in to follow this  
Michael H

Effects of low-cut f-holes

So I had a project. A cello needed a neck set and fb projection boost, bridge, and other aspects of setup. Got it all done. I sat there staring at the result continually muttering to myself, “why does it look so weird, what did I miss?” Measured the string length only to realize that it was 725mm when bridge was aligned with the inner diapason! Stop length was 423mm!! After length was short, as expected. So naturally I just moved the bridge up an inch and sound post to match (8mm behind foot) The ffs where cut really low. The resulting sound is smooth, dark and warm. Maybe the air flow in the bottom bout helping this result? I have never encountered such a cello, but seems successful aside from the visual aspect. Has anyone encountered this on an old or new instrument with a successful result?

1 hour ago, Michael H said:

Measured the string length only to realize that it was 725mm when bridge was aligned with the inner diapason! Stop length was 423mm!! After length was short, as expected. So naturally I just moved the bridge up an inch and sound post to match (8mm behind foot) The ffs where cut really low.

What is an "inner diapason",  and how were you not able to choose the desired afterlength  with all the different tailpieces available?

2 hours ago, Michael H said:

So I had a project. A cello needed a neck set and fb projection boost, bridge, and other aspects of setup. Got it all done. I sat there staring at the result continually muttering to myself, “why does it look so weird, what did I miss?” Measured the string length only to realize that it was 725mm

How did you not notice any of this before starting work?

With such fundamental work as removing the neck for a reset, it seems necessary to know all the measurements, and if any will need changing before proceeding. If you are resetting the neck, why did it need a "fb projection boost" too?, the reset would take care of this. Do you mean the overstand?
What is the neck length now?

I have a modern strad model made by a Cremona trained maker. Since I want to get a Cello with a Shorter string length but want to have time to find one I like, I got the Bridge and Sound post moved up 1.5 Cms. The Cello sounds better now than it did before. Especially the bass is very good. However, the f holes ofcourse are in the perfect place, as can be expected from a strad model (69,5 CM string length). 

I played a testore a couple of months ago that has a string length of arounf 73 CMs, never played anything like it. Wouldn't Dream of shortening that string length out of fear that it would Change the Sound.

2 hours ago, Wood Butcher said:

How did you not notice any of this before starting work?

With such fundamental work as removing the neck for a reset, it seems necessary to know all the measurements, and if any will need changing before proceeding. If you are resetting the neck, why did it need a "fb projection boost" too?, the reset would take care of this. Do you mean the overstand?
What is the neck length now?

I should have clarified. The cello was purchased and upon arriving had a loose neck and broken button. I clamped the neck to see what the fb projection would be (not overstand) to indicate if I would need to insert angled shim while I had it disassembled. It was a huge oversight for me not to measure string length using the inner notch and also did not measure stop length. After fixing the neck, boosting fb protection to appropriate 82mm, cutting bridge, new soundpost and such, I then only realized my oversight. I only have a different kinds of tailpieces, none short enough to add desired afterlength. 

2 hours ago, baroquecello said:

I have a modern strad model made by a Cremona trained maker. Since I want to get a Cello with a Shorter string length but want to have time to find one I like, I got the Bridge and Sound post moved up 1.5 Cms. The Cello sounds better now than it did before. Especially the bass is very good. However, the f holes ofcourse are in the perfect place, as can be expected from a strad model (69,5 CM string length). 

I played a testore a couple of months ago that has a string length of arounf 73 CMs, never played anything like it. Wouldn't Dream of shortening that string length out of fear that it would Change the Sound.

Good to know, I’ve been deciding how far up I want the bridge and consider making a nut to decrease string length as well. 

What is the body length on the cello? What are the lengths of the FF's? Where do the FF's fall in relation to the lower corners? What is the length of the neck? I measure everything on the instrument before starting any work at all. Sounds like this cello is pretty strange. Other than now having some time invested is there any reason to think this instrument is a worth while project?

13 minutes ago, nathan slobodkin said:

What is the body length on the cello? What are the lengths of the FF's? Where do the FF's fall in relation to the lower corners? What is the length of the neck? I measure everything on the instrument before starting any work at all. Sounds like this cello is pretty strange. Other than now having some time invested is there any reason to think this instrument is a worth while project?

Not sure how much more i can take on this one. I’ll get some measurements when I’m back in the workshop.