Maestronet Forums

More photos.... late 1700’s??

Newfiddleguy

26 minutes ago, Violadamore said:

In the treble side photos, the top looks relatively thin, like it may have been regraduated.  How does it sound?  :)

It’s sounds very good except the G is a little dark and nasally sounding for me but I noticed the bridge is in sad shape and the sound post is slightly out of place so I hope fixing these will solve that

9 hours ago, Newfiddleguy said:

Here are full pics of this old fiddle I was told is late 1700’s English.

I don’t think it is English. I guess whoever told you that didn’t know what it was, but knew that some English instruments had painted purfling, and decided it was on that basis.
Painted purfling was used in a lot of places, on the cheaper stuff (obviously).

10 hours ago, Conor Russell said:

I doubt  that the head belongs  at all. The neck and  head seem to have been broken  out of another vioin, and transplanted  to this one.

The button never breaks off an unpurfled violin at the purfling,  so this button has been sacrificed  to make way for the new one.

Hard to tell by the photos. Could have been broken or cut when removing the original through neck to make a graft. Obviously the whole violin was once covered with a dark brown varnish like it is now at the scroll, some place of the ribs and a few remains at the plates.

BTW, a Salzkammergut as typical as possible in my eyes, even the straight slender pegbox with narrow throat at the volute.

6 minutes ago, Blank face said:

Hard to tell by the photos. Could have been broken or cut when removing the original through neck to make a graft. Obviously the whole violin was once covered with a dark brown varnish like it is now at the scroll, some place of the ribs and a few remains at the plates.

BTW, a Salzkammergut as typical as possible in my eyes, even the straight slender pegbox with narrow throat at the volute.

Perhaps,  but it's  usually  very easy to take  a neck out without  damaging  the  button when there's  no  purfling  channel.  And the button  doesn't  belong - it has no joint.

The varnish  is odd too. The pale stuff looks  original  to the back to me, and the painted purfling  is worn off just as I'd expect. It's almost as if the sides and head dont belong.