Sign in to follow this  
Byrdbop

Pirastro Tonica A string always breaking

I've fitted 3 sets to 3 different violins and every time the A string has broken when tuning up to pitch for the first time.  What is going on?  Never had this happen with any other string btw. 

I've used at least half a dozen  of the new formula, never happened to me. Maybe a bad lot? Did you buy them at the same time?  Anyone see fake tonicas?

For any iPhone user...there was a model of iPhone from which the design required the antennae to wrap around the edges of the phone.  So, when a person held the iPhone in the traditional way, the users' hand would block signal.  You know what Steve Jobs said????  

Then don't hold it that way.  Analogous to your post...don't use that string lol.

That was a joke.  If you want to continue using Pirastro Tonica, you should try and eliminate all variables that you can.  Deans suggested a good one.  Did you buy the strings in bulk?  If so, contact the dealer and let them know.  Hopefully you get a refund and some new strings.  You mentioned that this is happening on 3 different violins.  Are the bridges from all 3 violins cut and fitted by the same luthier?  Maybe its the bridge?  I hope you find a solution.

1 hour ago, deans said:

I've used at least half a dozen  of the new formula, never happened to me. Maybe a bad lot? Did you buy them at the same time?  Anyone see fake tonicas?

Yep pack of 3 sets.  Bought over a year ago and put on violins I intended to sell on.  Prob just a bad batch or fake.  Packaging looks legit.  

6 hours ago, Byrdbop said:

Yep pack of 3 sets.  Bought over a year ago and put on violins I intended to sell on.  Prob just a bad batch or fake.  Packaging looks legit.  

Means nothing, the fakers have gotten good.  I quit buying strings on eBay, and went to Warchals besides.  No problems since.

I've been using Pirastro Tonica stark (aluminum E) for many years, in different violins.

At least 2-3 times i found out, in these last 3-4 years, that just unwrapped from the envelope the A string had some dents in the B-C space, in first position. I could not play them.
They always were readily substituted (online).

So i tend to think that in particular the A string production line had, or currently have, something wrong.

Note: i skipped the problem now because i chose not to use anymore Pirastro strings, mostly after an email exchange with one of the reps regarding their dismission of light and heavy tension sets in many models of strings they produce (Tonica included). It was a very unthinkful move, in my opinion. They say differently ......

Strings that won't tune to pitch are bad for business, even the faking business. If someone has been to the trouble of copying all the externals, surely they would also have tested a few to destruction?

21 hours ago, Byrdbop said:

I've fitted 3 sets to 3 different violins and every time the A string has broken when tuning up to pitch for the first time.  What is going on?  Never had this happen with any other string btw. 

Nut groove too narrow for the string?

12 hours ago, Violadamore said:

Means nothing, the fakers have gotten good.  I quit buying strings on eBay, and went to Warchals besides.  No problems since.

People complain about Warchal's too, but Bohdan Warchal himself explained the problem a week or so ago here. I've had no problem with either Tonicas or Warchals, so I must be doing something right?