Sign in to follow this  
hannaz

Authentic Leandro Bisiach violin?

Recommended Posts

Hello,

Is the violin from the photos fake or could it be an authentic Leandro Bisiach violin? I’ve tried to compare it to instruments on tarisio but it’s hard to do when you don’t know what to look for.

233571EF-EB27-44E7-8118-BCA7083A99D4.jpeg

C5E6B6DF-6865-42A5-BB79-A956BDA0302B.jpeg

83DA8F2F-E262-4258-B7E1-029C8B8C24C7.jpeg

05C7C281-0F41-440B-AF35-4BF42D807D0B.jpeg

F1DD1046-19DF-4B24-B02E-C885F3B398DF.jpeg

Edited by hannaz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What's with all the varnish chipping on the bass side of the tailpiece ? …  never seen so much before on a not too old violin :o

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you, everyone, it's really interesting. I'm curious, what is the giveaway that it's not a Bisiach or what makes it interesting? If it's not something that you'd like to share on a public forum perhaps you could send a dm?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, hannaz said:

Thank you, everyone, it's really interesting. I'm curious, what is the giveaway that it's not a Bisiach or what makes it interesting? If it's not something that you'd like to share on a public forum perhaps you could send a dm?

There is a stickied thread on this forum detailing what pictures are needed for a decent internet evaluation. If you will take the pictures, many members here love to work through what a violin like this may be. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Porteroso said:

There is a stickied thread on this forum detailing what pictures are needed for a decent internet evaluation. If you will take the pictures, many members here love to work through what a violin like this may be. 

I saw that thread, but the photos are from a craigslist-type website where it's listed as a Bisiach. I really like the look of this violin but wanted to at least partially verify it before I travel to try it. There were two more photos that I attach now

ED6FA1F4-9EC2-4B83-8AD1-203FE7D5302C-584-00000025D13FBA1C.jpg

63453D59-3EBB-4D64-B069-7B0D7CDDC1F7-584-00000025CB094AA2.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Wood Butcher said:

“Interesting” is used to describe things when people don’t know what they are.
 

Or when a thing does not look like the standard Markie thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The first point to exclude Bisiach is the built on the back construction with pinched rib joints, and all other features defining it as a "Standard Markie", i. e. a product of the Markneukirchen/Schönbach cottage industry roughly around 1900. The only thing being a bit different is the antiquing with acid, leading to the somehow clowdy appearance of the varnish in the lower bouts, a bit like the French Caussin school, that's all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m impressed how knowledgeable people here are. And willing to share their knowledge too. Are there books or websites with pictures showing how, for example, different rib joints look?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, hannaz said:

I saw that thread, but the photos are from a craigslist-type website where it's listed as a Bisiach. I really like the look of this violin but wanted to at least partially verify it before I travel to try it. There were two more photos that I attach now

ED6FA1F4-9EC2-4B83-8AD1-203FE7D5302C-584-00000025D13FBA1C.jpg

63453D59-3EBB-4D64-B069-7B0D7CDDC1F7-584-00000025CB094AA2.jpg

In this photos it looks a bit more French/Caussin alike, but the scroll and the ff with wide notches seem to point to Markneukirchen/Schönbach. But however it won't make much of a difference, and definitely no Bisiach.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, martin swan said:

Huge and messy button repair ...

I can't see this repair, in fact can't see much of the button at all?

If the condition is good, not a bad violin, but the price should be accordingly to a "not Bisiach".;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Blank face said:

I can't see this repair, in fact can't see much of the button at all?

 

Huge area of new varnish travelling a third of the way down the back from the button ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Wood Butcher said:

“Interesting” is used to describe things when people don’t know what they are.
 

Not always.  Sometimes it's simply more diplomatic than giving an accurate description.  :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Could someone please comment on the wood? I'm really intrigued by the back, because the upper region looks flamed but the lower looks almost quilted. Also the wide grain of the table is very cool. People say this is Markneukirchen/Schönbach ca. 1900: I didn't realize that those makers used such interesting wood!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The label is identical to the reproduction in the René Vannes - Dictionnaire Universel des Luthiers (n. 156 in the Fac-Similés des Etiquettes). Someone showed some creativity by transforming 1896 into 1899. The rest is totally identical.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Al Cramer said:

Could someone please comment on the wood? I'm really intrigued by the back, because the upper region looks flamed but the lower looks almost quilted. Also the wide grain of the table is very cool. People say this is Markneukirchen/Schönbach ca. 1900: I didn't realize that those makers used such interesting wood!

The back is maple, which is slab cut. The figure is fairly typical for a slab back, nothing unusual. Again, the spruce is nothing unexpected either.

If you get a chance to see more violins from this area, you will come to realise it is typical.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.