Sign in to follow this  
David Burgess

My latest "over-my-main-workbench" lighting solution.

Urban Luthier, would you be willing to post a link to those task lamps? In my experience, Ikea makes at least some products which are not only very durable, but amazingly well engineered.

Currently, I keep a lot of my old task lamps around for replacement parts, but that isn't my first joy.

52 minutes ago, David Burgess said:

Urban Luthier, would you be willing to post a link to those task lamps? In my experience, Ikea makes at least some products which are not only very durable, but amazingly well engineered.

Currently, I keep a lot of my old task lamps around for replacement parts, but that isn't my first joy.

Here's a link to the current version.  https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/tertial-work-lamp-with-led-bulb-dark-gray-00424985/  they apparently throw in an led bulb now.

2 hours ago, David Burgess said:

Hi David

I can't find the link to the exact ones I bought -- they were in the 'now or never' bin at $9 CND each - (about $2 US after exchange).  

@tsummerville posted the a link to the US site for the IKEA TERTIAL work lamp above. I've seen these - they look similar to mine but the key difference is the on off switch on the new version is a rocker type on the cord itself. I think this is a real disadvantage from a usability standpoint. The version i have has the switch on the lamp itself - similar to your lamp.

The IKEA ones are well made from stamped metal parts, real springs - and mine at least have a real ceramic bulb holder. The bushings are plastic however -- I've only ever had to tighten them once. The plastic mounting bracket is useless. -- The Lee valley lamp bushing is far better option for a bench top mount.

Chris

A little more about Color Rendering Index, for those who don't already know:

Some fluorescent and LED lamps don't illuminate all colors equally, or can even have large holes in the color spectrum. Suppose you do some retouching under a light that has a hole at the red spectrum. You won't be able to see any red which is present, even if it's there. Then, when you view the retouching under daylight or an incandescent light, the retouching could be either way too red, or so lacking in red that it appears green compared to the surrounding varnish.

The GE bulbs I mentioned are very "warm" in color temperature (not the same thing as color rendering index), and I prefer the appearance of the room with a "whiter" light, but the color rendering index is more important to me.

40 minutes ago, Urban Luthier said:

Thanks. it looks like the bulbs are 2700K - closer to halogen bulbs perhaps?

Yes. They are quite different from "cool white" bulbs, which tend to be strong on blues and/or yellows, and weak on reds.

My knee-jerk impression is that the cool white lights offer a more pleasant light, and also the impression of a higher light level, but I think Bill Yacey is working on that, using much better resources than I have available.

...reminds me a bit of my chicken coop. 

I think you need a chicken...

1 hour ago, Rue said:

...reminds me a bit of my chicken coop. 

I think you need a chicken...

I had one once upon a time, except he turned out to be a rooster.

It's a long story. If Mark Norfleet is still reading and posting here, he can fill you in on some of the quirky details on how I came to own this rooster, and then I can fill you in on how "Pecker" may have come to either his demise, or relocation, at the hands one of my suburban neighbors. :o

I still typically get up around 4 am. Good ol' Pecker, he was an exceptional chicken, and certainly among the bestest chickens of all time. B):lol:

13 minutes ago, David Burgess said:

I still typically get up around 4 am. Good ol' Pecker, he was an exceptional chicken! B)

:wub:

Looking forward to chicken tales...

Very useful info, thank you David. The colour rendering index information in particular is net new to me. While I don't do any restoration work, I do varnish In my studio. I expect my IKEA Led bulbs are not the best solution for judging colour balance