Sign in to follow this  
Dwight Brown

New Viola Bow, Really New!

Just a thought

Unless it is not the wood that Mampara suggested?

Rather one of the true Acacias?

17 hours ago, Dwight Brown said:

I thought you all would like to see the new Tete-beche viola bow I commissioned from Gilles Nehr.  It just came today and it is pretty great.  The frog and the tip are made of Titanium with 18k. Rose gold adjuster and hook.  The stick is Giraffe Thorn Acacia wood.  It feels just like a regular fine bow in your hand and it powers the viola extremely well.  Don't kill me if the pictures don't work!

DLB

E6350C7C-B437-4BB5-BEF3-6C9FFB506495_1_201_a.jpeg

The bow seems to be well thought-out, when it comes to reducing typical damages on bows, including those from rehairing.

A beautiful looking bow, Dwight.  Congrats!  

I think these are fine innovations if it simplifies the maintenance and longevity.

I am intrigued by the Nehr design and have considered commissioning one as well.

Most of all, enjoy playing your new bow!

18 hours ago, reg said:

Not my cup-o-tea!

...but Mampara you sure that's kameeldoring?

Would have virtually no spring or bounce?

Definitely kameeldoring - I grew up with those trees, rock hard timber and very good firewood for BBQ. Sapwood would usually be this light yellow with darker core wood but depends on where the tree has grown as some geographical variation may occur. Seems to be a few bowmakers around using it, also for archery bows. Need a lot of heat to bend the sticks, usually a propane torch would do.

8 hours ago, Mampara said:

Definitely kameeldoring - I grew up with those trees, rock hard timber and very good firewood for BBQ. Sapwood would usually be this light yellow with darker core wood but depends on where the tree has grown as some geographical variation may occur. Seems to be a few bowmakers around using it, also for archery bows. Need a lot of heat to bend the sticks, usually a propane torch would do.

He now has a safe treatment to darken the wood, then it is finished as usual. That said I like the light color as well.

DLB